ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   aargh cracked windscreen (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/476224-aargh-cracked-windscreen.html)

DonnieDarko 09 December 2005 09:18 AM

aargh cracked windscreen

well :(

had the WRX 2 months and now i have a great big fcuk crack in the windscreen

something fell off a lorry and caused a 4inch crack right on the edge.

any advice anyone? Elephant will get RAC autoglass to do it and it will only cost me £50, but if i want anyone else to do it they will only contribute £50.

good news is i took down the lorries details reg was V8 BLT plus a phone number- seemed to be a rented trailer.

would getting subaru to do it be better? and charging it to the lorry company, or will they be no better (or even worse) than RAC?

i phoned subaru who said they can do it it, but that they usually reommend using the insurance companies own one as they are much cheaper

comic cuts 09 December 2005 09:27 AM

[QUOTE=DonnieDarko]well :(

something fell off a lorry and caused a 4inch crack right on the edge.

Hi DD........I'd ring the lorry company first as they might not appreciate you ringing the police as an alternative.......after all they appear to have had an unsecure load which is pretty serious!

Worth ringing them first!

CC

gingerboy 09 December 2005 09:37 AM

RAC windscreens did mine (Cardiff branch) and they were very good indeed, no problems at all. I suppose it's a bit hit and miss dependant on your local branch and the fitter but I can bet you one thing, RAC windscreens fit more replacements than your local scooby dealer.

Paul

Stainy 09 December 2005 11:29 AM

If you have a comprehensive policy you can use who you like to replace the screen. Only drawback is that they might drop your NCB if you aren't claiming within their scheme.

Dave_68 09 December 2005 02:06 PM

Wouldn't worry about changing the screen, easy job on an Impreza, done loads of them. RAC will be fine...If not it'll be under warrantee (Think it's 3 years for the RAC).

Dave (Autoglass fitter)

mgcvk 09 December 2005 02:49 PM

Get it done by whoever your insurance company use. Its usually autoglass and the like. You pay the £50 excess and it doesn't affect your no claims. Paying for it youself will cost several times that amount. I can't see its worth wasting your time and effort tracking down the lorry and driver if there is no other damage to your car.

DonnieDarko 09 December 2005 03:00 PM

jobs a good 'un guys. the lorry company have agreed to pay my £50, and the RAC are fitting it on tuesday :)

mgcvk 09 December 2005 05:17 PM

Even better. Nice one :thumb:

daz_vx220 09 December 2005 06:12 PM

i bought my wrx and on the way home about 2 miles down the road from where i bought it, my mate in front flivked up a stone and cracked mine, its now the full width of the screen. I reckon i had the car about 3 minuites, how unlucky is that? :freak3:

gubby 09 December 2005 06:25 PM

I had my wagon a week when I see this rock flying at me, thrown up from the other carriageway.

Everyone ducked but it missed the windscreen.

But it hit the bloody roof and put a dint right in the middle right where the seal is. Not a big dint but I knew it was there.

Took it to the bodyshop and he asked me how much of a perfectionist I was.

To fix it he reckoned he would have too take the windscreen out and it would be 8 hours labour.

At £42 per hour, I decided I was not that much of a perfectionist, so I invested in some touch up paint and some rust cure for £10.