ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Scooby clinic remapping (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/474909-scooby-clinic-remapping.html)

nik52wrx 02 December 2005 06:32 PM

Scooby clinic remapping

I was thinking about an ecutek remap at Scooby clinic for 650 plus vat.
Emailed them yesterday asking what approx power increase i would get.
Response was 20-40bhp but wont give an exact figure as most outputs will vary car to car.
I fully understand that but i would be gutted if after spending that sort of cash all's i gained was 20bhp :cry:

Has anybody had a remap done and what sort of figures did you end up with.
One last thing, was it worth the money :wonder:

By the way, for comparison my car is an MY02 bug eye wrx.

Cheers
Nik

hoskib 02 December 2005 06:33 PM

like they say, it really will differ from car to car and depends on mods on the car.

i had a remap on my 99 and it really made a fantastic difference, it's the torque rather than the bhp i was impressed with.

£650 for a genuine 20+ bhp/torque and a much more drivable car ain't too bad to be honest:)

nik52wrx 02 December 2005 06:40 PM

£763.75 all in which still seems a lot for a possible 20bhp.
Drivabilty might make up for it as you say though.

My car has no mechanical mods other than a stainless Jetex exhaust system.

Nik.

Originally Posted by hoskib
like they say, it really will differ from car to car and depends on mods on the car.

i had a remap on my 99 and it really made a fantastic difference, it's the torque rather than the bhp i was impressed with.

£650 for a genuine 20+ bhp/torque and a much more drivable car ain't too bad to be honest:)

Varboy 02 December 2005 06:47 PM

Your going to get more if you bin the exhaust.

I've not got an exhaust just yet, but I did get an Ecutek 2 done, well worth the cash, you will love the difference (see my WRX aint that slow thread!)

hoskib 02 December 2005 06:49 PM

ah, good old VAT:(

tough one really mate, i think the main reason scoobyclinic is being a bit cagey with what you'll get is if the say you'll get +40 bhp and you get less you'll be pissed off, the other way round then happy days all round.

might be worth chatting with them about some other mild mods that might get you +40 odd bhp? could only be a few fairly in-expensive exhaust parts? (not too clued up on new shape i'm afraid!)

sure someone more qualified will be along soon to give advice:D

nik52wrx 02 December 2005 07:05 PM

Why bin the exhaust ?
I hope your not suggesting returning to the twin pea shooter.
Much better sound out of mine :D

Originally Posted by Varboy
Your going to get more if you bin the exhaust. I've not got an exhaust just yet, but I did get an Ecutek 2 done, well worth the cash, you will love the difference (see my WRX aint that slow thread!)

mgcvk 02 December 2005 07:07 PM

Ecutek is only really worth doing if you have got decat exhaust system, particularly a decat downpipe. Then you could be looking at a realistic 60 bhp improvement with remap.

GC8 02 December 2005 07:16 PM

If youre going to the expense of an ECU-Tek then Id suggest replacing the full exhaust pipe too. Youll see a far greater return for your money with a catalytic converter free down/up pipe. If your budget allows for it (and Ive seen them somewhere for a shade over £200!) then look at fitting a sports high-flow cat in the centre section: it shouldnt affect the engine's performance at all and the car will be completely legal at all times (rather than just on the afternoon of your MOT...).

Simon

THOMO 02 December 2005 08:14 PM

sounds about right if your cars standard.
get a 3 inch exhaust with decat
fuel pump
a decent air filter
at least there being conservative and not feeding you with shhhhhitee

nik52wrx 02 December 2005 10:06 PM

My exhaust is 3" and thats not just man talk :D

Originally Posted by THOMO
sounds about right if your cars standard.
get a 3 inch exhaust with decat
fuel pump
a decent air filter
at least there being conservative and not feeding you with shhhhhitee

andypugh2000 02 December 2005 11:42 PM

I binned my zorst and fitted a boost controller for less than the price of a remap and gained 80 bhp :razz:

Tidgy 03 December 2005 12:02 AM

had mine done two weeks ago (uk classic) it ran 240bhp 240 ftlb torque, as they have said it varies from car to car, mine has still got the turbo down pipe cat and once thats out i will get more, to get big power you need to change more than just exhaust and pannel filter.
i have got a straight through 3 inch system from the turbo downpipe by the way.

this next bit is as i understand it and if i am wrong someone please jump on and correct me

be aware, one of the differences with an sti and a wrx is the internals of the engine, sti's have forged pistons as standard where as wrx's have standard's.
i'll take a guess as well that the urbo's are also different and that the wrx is prob limited to under or around 280bhp because of that (i think its around that figure on the wrx's turbo).

to get more you'll need to change turbo, injectors and fuel pump, but you'll start to get close to the internals limit of reliability.

wide 03 December 2005 08:54 AM

Urbos?

justanotherperson 03 December 2005 12:19 PM

i have looked in to this a little bit after e-mailing a few companies i got this reply,
i will not name the company because if someone went there for the remap and got less than expected,for whatever reason,it would look bad on me also.

"After this period I would then recommend an exhaust system (though keeping the car road legal) & an Ecutek remap. The map would cost £500 plus VAT & in conjunction with an exhaust sytem would see 270/280 bhp & vastly improved mid range power"

thats up quite a lot from standard,

BrynO 03 December 2005 12:33 PM

^ IMO 270/280HP would only be achievable with a full decat system OR a full system with a sports cat which you need to keep 'road legal', if you are doing just centre & back box and leaving the standard catted downpipe, more like 250 - 260 HP..

My bug has Prodrive backbox and centre de-cat with standard downpipe cat in place and is circa 255/265HP with 265/275 ft lb

scoobimax 03 December 2005 12:52 PM

My old MY99 UK Turbo with turbo back de-cat and panel filter was running 238 bhp and similar torque. I would have anticipated 260 -270 with a re-map but not sure where torque would be. 260/270 bhp isn't that high really but would be enough with the right road map. The important thing isn't bhp unless you're into cock measuring. Torque and drivability is where it's at surely?

PAUL CRAFTS 04 December 2005 06:31 PM

Yes stick with scooby clinic they did my type-ra sti. I had new ecu and got 353bhp & 300 ftlb torque ? plus a few more bits & bobs, go on bud be a Devil spend some money..

pslewis 04 December 2005 06:41 PM

£763??? :eek: :eek:

Has the world gone COMPLETELY mad??? :rolleyes:

I assume this comes with a new ECU + New Stainless DeCat + Other tuning add-ons??

PLEASE don't tell me that it is the charge for some GEEK to sit next to you with a LapTop and DetCans on????? PLEEEEEEEEEEEEZE tell me it isn't?? :confused:

Pete

chrome 04 December 2005 06:50 PM

lewis wtf do you know- stop trolling.. :rolleyes:

the clinic REALLY know their scoobs.
A basic remap can only go as far as your supporting spec will support.
If you only have an exhaust system and panel, on a uk car- dont expect more than 250bhp..
A remap also costs a big chunk in a license fee they have to pay to ecutek. Also you then pay for pats time, the dyno, and any supporting tweaks (no two cars are ever the same!) all rolled in.
Its very reasonable if you break it down.

if you want 350bhp+ then uprate all the supporting bits.
If its safe to do so (ie: Det free) , Pat will make it happen!
(been there- got the t-shirt)

The map will STILL cost the same if you have thought ahead and bought your uprated parts etc seperately.
hth.

pslewis 04 December 2005 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by chrome
lewis wtf do you know- stop trolling.. :rolleyes:

I know that £763 is a LOT of money for a Geek to input some DATA into the map of the ECU :eek:

Thats why I assumed that you simply MUST get some gear for that price - an ECU maybe? an Exhaust system? a new Turbo?

If you are just paying for someone to play about with your map then, with due respect, you need your bumps feeling!! :rolleyes:

Have you ANY idea what that would buy a village in Africa? It would keep them alive for a year! Now, THAT is REAL value for money!!

I am SHOCKED that anyone would even consider spending this amount for so little in return ............

Pete

wide 04 December 2005 07:52 PM

Why would you want to buy stuff for a village in Africa. If you thought so much about issue like that you would be driving around in a claped out 2Cv, with green trousers and a home made scarf, doing census chats on a pedestrian shopping area witha flask full of lentils :lol: