ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   How good is wynn's Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/472281-how-good-is-wynns-hydraulic-valve-lifter-treatment.html)

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:00 PM

How good is wynn's Hydraulic Valve Lifter Treatment

I have noisy tappets on my mondeo-saw this stuff on website-how good is it-anyone ever used it?

mart360 20 November 2005 10:09 PM

Reports in car mechanics give it the thumbs up,

its a 50/50 chance that it will work..

i have used it, and it worked but first try the following.

start engine and listen for noisey tappet.... if present raise rpm to 3000 and

hold for 10 secs.

release throttle and listen.. gone.... good

still there. turn off engine and wait 10 secs, start engine and listen....

if still there repeat

depending on how bad or whats caused the tappet to stick it may free.

mine tend to get noisy :

nearing an oil change

when the scoobs been standing for some time

generally if one wont pressurise after 3 attempts at the above and flush its time to change it...

oh and because they dont show any signs of failure, you have to do all 16, and i think there about £12 each ex vat and labour

Mart

pslewis 20 November 2005 10:09 PM

Have you tried a 'Flushing Oil'??

Might work!!

Pete

tath 20 November 2005 10:10 PM

i used it and i think it worked which :confused: me... It purports to clean the little hole on the lifter so oil can fill it properly, but i don't see how this would work without some *serious* detergents, and if they are that serious, i don't want them swishing around in my engine.

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:12 PM

will try that at next oil change-but only did an oil change 1000 mile ago-and with this frost i dont wanna do it again at mo-too damn cold lol

Originally Posted by pslewis

Might work!!

Pete

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:14 PM

not looked at bottle yet-do u have to use it at oil change time-or can u just add it whenever?

Originally Posted by tath
i used it and i think it worked which :confused: me... It purports to clean the little hole on the lifter so oil can fill it properly, but i don't see how this would work without some *serious* detergents, and if they are that serious, i don't want them swishing around in my engine.

jameswrx 20 November 2005 10:15 PM

Here's a quote I found interesting from David (APi engines)..

Assuming the noise doesn't fade after a few minutes from start up it is probably gummed up or weak hydraulic lifters. It is worth trying to clean them up with a simple but effective remedy.

Drain out half a litre of oil from the engine and refill using 1/2 litre of ATF auto transmission fluid. This marketed by a number of companies as ' hydraulic lifter cleaner' and you'll pay a tenner or so for about a cupful.......

My way should be rather cheaper and just as effective.

After 300 miles with the cleaner in drain off all the oil and refill with oil of choice and a fresh filter. Try not to red line the engine during the 300 miles just drive ' normally'

mart360 20 November 2005 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by tath

dosent have to be a serious detergent, i believe the main ingrediant is

Petrol

it only has to weaken the crud the pressure will do the rest..

Mart

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:19 PM

thank u-sounds good advice-mine does go quiet after a min-and i think API engines know what they are talking about as well

Originally Posted by jameswrx
Here's a quote I found interesting from David (APi engines)..

Assuming the noise doesn't fade after a few minutes from start up it is probably gummed up or weak hydraulic lifters. It is worth trying to clean them up with a simple but effective remedy.

Drain out half a litre of oil from the engine and refill using 1/2 litre of ATF auto transmission fluid. This marketed by a number of companies as ' hydraulic lifter cleaner' and you'll pay a tenner or so for about a cupful.......

My way should be rather cheaper and just as effective.

After 300 miles with the cleaner in drain off all the oil and refill with oil of choice and a fresh filter. Try not to red line the engine during the 300 miles just drive ' normally'

mart360 20 November 2005 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis

Might work!!

Pete

good call, but you have to do a change within 15 mins/ 5 miles..

the lifter treatment you can leave in afaik.

i use the flushing oil, and get some other b*gger to get there hands dirty

Mart

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:21 PM

what caused mine i think is it had wrong grade oil put in-apparently zetec engines are very fussy what oil they have-and wrong oil was only in for about 1000 miles

ALi-B 20 November 2005 10:22 PM

Last bottle I looked at was just various detergents and viscosity improvers.

You get the same from changing the oil more often. Which lack of regular oil changes is the usual cause of the problem in the first place - especially on the iron block zetecs, where IMO Ford's service intervals were pushing the limits of the recommended oils they used. When Ford switched to the thinner oils to address pump up issues, it didn't help matters. As the thicker oils they used to use were better at keeping them quiet when hot.

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 10:28 PM

mine is ok when hot-just noisy when cold-and in this frost its even worse lol-just a tad worried that if valves are not closing properly etc can that burn a valve out?

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Last bottle I looked at was just various detergents and viscosity improvers.

You get the same from changing the oil more often. Which lack of regular oil changes is the usual cause of the problem in the first place - especially on the iron block zetecs, where IMO Ford's service intervals were pushing the limits of the recommended oils they used. When Ford switched to the thinner oils to address pump up issues, it didn't help matters. As the thicker oils they used to use were better at keeping them quiet when hot.

ALi-B 20 November 2005 11:12 PM

Oh right it's worse when cold, so a tappet is draining down overnight and not re-filling. Ignore my rubbish on the thicker oils then ;)

A drained tappet causing slack clearances won't cause the valve to the burn out, as the clearance actually means the valve is shut and the noise is caused by the gap between the tappet and the cam.
Unfortunately, now my brain has just kicked into gear - there is a flipside where a sticking valve causes the same noise (and that will burn out). The latter very rarely happens these days unless you have bent valve (usually from a cambelt failure that's not been correctly repaired) or excessive varnish deposits on the stem (never happens in this day and age), so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

More likely to be a gummed up tappet.

Personally I've had limited sucess in using tappet treatments products. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't, and in some cases I've had improvements by changing the oil at several close intervals. And some fix themselves after a good long motorway blast with the revs held above 3000rpm for an hour or so. Not much help, but that's the way it is! :)

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 11:16 PM

god knows what side of engine lol-im sat on drivers seat lol-but for first few beats of engine its got a differant sound-hard to explain-but sounds like its not beating right-hopefully someone can put into words the sound i hear lol

Oh right it's worse when cold, so a tappet is draining down overnight and not re-filling. Ignore my rubbish on the thicker oils then ;)

A drained tappet causing slack clearances won't cause the valve to the burn out, as the clearance actually means the valve is shut and the noise is caused by the gap between the tappet and the cam.
Unfortunately, now my brain has just kicked into gear - there is a flipside where a sticking valve causes the same noise (and that will burn out). The latter very rarely happens these days unless you have bent valve (usually from a cambelt failure that's not been correctly repaired) or excessive varnish deposits on the stem (never happens in this day and age), so it shouldn't be anything to worry about.

More likely to be a gummed up tappet- Can I hazard a guess...right hand side of the engine on the exhaust cam? That usually the favourite.

Personally I've had limited sucess in using tappet treatments products. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't, and in some cases I've improvemnets changing the oil at several close intervals. And some fix themselves after a good long motorway blast with the revs held above 3000rpm for an hour or so. Not much help, but that's the way it is! :)

ALi-B 20 November 2005 11:21 PM

tap tap tap tap? :confused:

^OPM^ 20 November 2005 11:22 PM

derr

tap tap tap tap? :confused:

ALi-B 20 November 2005 11:25 PM

Best I could do :D

Leslie 21 November 2005 03:46 PM

Advice from David from API is always good since he knows what he is talkng about. I would try what he says and if that does not clear it then you have to be prepared to change the tappets. :(

Les

APIDavid 21 November 2005 04:09 PM

Double post - how'd that happen ??

APIDavid 21 November 2005 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by APIDavid
DO NOT put flushing oil in a Subaru Impreza - EVER. I know this car on the thread is a Mondeo, but comments like trying flushing oil might temp a few Subaru owners too.

David APi Engines / APi Impreza
www.apiengines.com

PS Thanks for the kind comments Leslie.:thumb:

Leslie 22 November 2005 09:09 AM

:)

Les

Flatcapdriver 22 November 2005 09:12 AM

Am I the only one wondering why this thread is in NSR? It's not like we can blame Tony Blair for conning us into buying flushing oil is it?

Is it?

APIDavid 22 November 2005 10:13 AM

I'm happy to blame Blair for anything, I mean anything.

David APi

mart360 22 November 2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by APIDavid
PS Thanks for the kind comments Leslie.:thumb:

Ive done it twice now,,

i,m going to be totally honest and say, i've never know a such a model of car that comes with so many foibles, quirks and subculture as this.

I,m not disputing anything youve found or know, and i respect the knowledge of these engines to you is far greater than mine.

but,, hells bells for a supposedly robust engine its more fussy than an F1 machine

lets be honest if joe public knew all this as they walked into the showroom, i bet half of them wouldnt touch a scooby with a barge pole..

Mart

Kevin Mcgivern 25 February 2017 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 5200652)
Reports in car mechanics give it the thumbs up,

its a 50/50 chance that it will work..

i have used it, and it worked but first try the following.

start engine and listen for noisey tappet.... if present raise rpm to 3000 and

hold for 10 secs.

release throttle and listen.. gone.... good

still there. turn off engine and wait 10 secs, start engine and listen....

if still there repeat

depending on how bad or whats caused the tappet to stick it may free.

mine tend to get noisy :

nearing an oil change

when the scoobs been standing for some time

generally if one wont pressurise after 3 attempts at the above and flush its time to change it...

oh and because they dont show any signs of failure, you have to do all 16, and i think there about £12 each ex vat and labour

Mart

WOW! tried this method and worked straight away not a scooby but still done the trick i bought a kia ceed 10 plate 2 weeks ago lifters started to get noisy (tapping noise) tried ure method and straight back to my purring quiet engine thanks a million. Recommend this method before spending any hard earned cash thanks mate.

dpb 25 February 2017 03:50 AM

Didn't work my xsara

wrx300scooby 25 February 2017 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin Mcgivern (Post 11921910)
WOW! tried this method and worked straight away not a scooby but still done the trick i bought a kia ceed 10 plate 2 weeks ago lifters started to get noisy (tapping noise) tried ure method and straight back to my purring quiet engine thanks a million. Recommend this method before spending any hard earned cash thanks mate.

Holy thread revival:lol1::lol1: