ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   12.5K - boxster or 4.5 Chimaera (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/470850-12-5k-boxster-or-4-5-chimaera.html)

lowlander 14 November 2005 01:39 PM

12.5K - boxster or 4.5 Chimaera

Hi there,

With a budget of 12.5K which is best for everyday use?

Boxster 2.5 (1997) or TVR chimaera 4.5 (1997 / 1998)

Martin.

RB170 14 November 2005 01:47 PM

The Boxster by far

J4CKO 14 November 2005 02:00 PM

Depends which image you prefer, budget airline pilot or wing commander ?

TopBanana 14 November 2005 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Depends which image you prefer, budget airline pilot or wing commander ?

Exactly - after all the only reason you buy a car is for the image!

J4CKO 14 November 2005 02:27 PM

No, true, its only a small part of the choice, those are two very different cars, for daily use it would have to be the Porsche, the Chimaera is the most reliable TVR but I would imagine the Porsche would be a lot more dependable and economical.

gingerboy 14 November 2005 03:01 PM

Boxster - residuals probably better long term as well.

Paul

TonyFlow 14 November 2005 03:02 PM

Nothing to do with the drive etc, but,

I will ALWAYS turn to look at a TVR, Porsche Boxters just seem 10-a-penny!

I would assume with handling, economy etc, they Porsche would be a better bet, but there has always been something about TVR's! I would go for a Cerbera though!

gingerboy 14 November 2005 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Nothing to do with the drive etc, but,

I will ALWAYS turn to look at a TVR, Porsche Boxters just seem 10-a-penny!

I would assume with handling, economy etc, they Porsche would be a better bet, but there has always been something about TVR's! I would go for a Cerbera though!

I know where you are coming from with this - the TVR will always pull at the heart strings whereas the Boxster will be the choice of the "head" so to speak.

Paul

The Chief 14 November 2005 04:44 PM

To be honest mate getting a Boxster for 12.5k is gonna be a struggle, but do your homework and get an inspection and go for it They might not go as well as a Chimaera but the handling is great and they sound pretty good too (past 4000rpm anyway)

Just make sure you dont het one with RMS issues!!!!!

The Chief 14 November 2005 04:51 PM

I did not think Boxsters were anything special until i drove one, and i loved it. just dont go picking fights with EVO's and tuned Scoobs 'cos you'll lose!!!
But its not just about speed, its the overall feel-good factor that makes it good to own

Petem95 14 November 2005 05:47 PM

Boxsters are a bit clinical and since the newer Boxster/911 with round lights has been released the older ones have started to look a bit odd, and maybe dated IMO.

I agree the Boxster is a better bet for daily use, but Chimaera's are fantastic cars. Other than being very fast (60 in 4.6) and sounding about as good as you can get, being very smart looking - they feel special whereas the Boxster just doesnt.

TopBanana 14 November 2005 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95
they feel special whereas the Boxster just doesnt.

Would it still feel special at the side of the motorway in the pi55ing rain at 2am because its broken down again? I'd love a TVR but I know it'd be a big mistake to buy one

Petem95 14 November 2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Would it still feel special at the side of the motorway in the pi55ing rain at 2am because its broken down again? I'd love a TVR but I know it'd be a big mistake to buy one

I know they have a reputation for being unreliable, but knowing 3 people who have Chimaera 4.5's, none of them have really had anything other than very minor problems. One of those owners has had the car 7years (from new).

Covered 2000 miles around Europe in one of them this summer and it ran superbly, even when in sweltering heat crawling through city centres like Nice!

The Chimaera was quite a long running model, so I think if you buy a late well looked after one then chances are you wont have too many problems.

mg driver 14 November 2005 09:01 PM

boxsters are slooooow and only suit sausage jockeys.:cuckoo:

id sooner have the tvr that may break down once in a while because 99% of the time when its running well it will run rings around anything and it sounds fantastic,,,,no choice at all imo.