ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   ROTA RIMS PROBLEMS?? ANYONE?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/469436-rota-rims-problems-anyone.html)

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 07:19 PM

ROTA RIMS PROBLEMS?? ANYONE??

i put 17inch tarmac prodrive rep Rota rims on my my95 wagon with 215/45/17 tyres and under hard cornering they rub on the back and with people in back its a nightmare!!! Standard WRX shock in her and not lowered or anything!! Anyone else experienced this?? Or wat size tyres they using?????????????????? I assume offset a bit wider as they clear the brembos i put on front.

richiewong 07 November 2005 07:31 PM

Normally people use 215/40 on classics and I think you're right about having a slightly larger offset.

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 08:04 PM

Yeah wasn't sure to change to 205/45/17 or 215/40/17. STi V5 Shocks going in tomorrow evening!! So should be sitting a bit lower!!

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 09:01 PM

anyone!!

Scoobydick 07 November 2005 10:39 PM

The further you go from manufacturer's standard the more chance you have of rubbing. These wheels have a smaller off set than standard, are wider than standard and you have taller tyres than standard.
The only thing you can change really is the tyre profile. 215/40/17 will be best and will return the wheel diameter to very close to original (in fact just a tiny bit smaller.) 205 won't fit the 7.5" rims very well - too narrow.

I can't really understand why they go to the trouble of ripping off a Prodrive wheel, but changeing the offset from the ET50-55 which is right for the classic scoob and is stuck to by all the Prodrive/Subaru wheels :confused:

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 10:52 PM

How much smaller?? As i said i have STiV5 standard shocks which sit bit lower then standard WRX suspension. Will the wheel look lost then with that tyre size?????

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 11:05 PM

They were called Tarmac II. They are the prodrive P1 replica rim in 7.5x17

RON 07 November 2005 11:07 PM

Well, the picture shows my car, which is slightly lowered, and with the same size rims as yours, but with 215/40 17's, and i don't think they look odd!!

Where are yours rubbing?? if it's on the strut, then a small shim.spacer may be enough until you need new tyres, if they rub on the arch, then you'll have to suffer it til the tyres are shot!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...eza_dood/4.jpg

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 11:12 PM

Arch on rears. And they are brand new toyo proxes!!

RON 07 November 2005 11:47 PM

As are mine, so it must just be the fact that have the 215/45's....

LegacySTi 07 November 2005 11:50 PM

So yours are Rotas too aren't they??

RON 07 November 2005 11:52 PM

Yup, so exactly the same width and offset as yours!!

scoobfan 09 November 2005 07:37 PM

Get the arches rolled at a decent bodyshop and all your problems
will be solved.

Rob

Silver Scooby Sport 09 November 2005 07:59 PM

I'm running a GB on Rota's at the moment and the 17's I've listed are 215/45/17 so I'm not sure what problem your having there, this may sound a silly comment but are you sure there are no wheel spacers left on the car from the previous alloys ?

I ran this very size on my classic on a new age 17" rim and it's dropped right down low on H&R springs and the tyres never touched... if anything the tyre actually dropped into the arches under pressure.

It may pay to remove a wheel and check for spacers and at the same time have a look to see what the offset is stamped on the insides of the alloys, I think you will find it should be a 48. I'm running 215/35/18 with a 48 offset at the moment and having no troubles at all.

Hope that helps you

Simon

LegacySTi 09 November 2005 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Scooby Sport
I'm running a GB on Rota's at the moment and the 17's I've listed are 215/45/17 so I'm not sure what problem your having there, this may sound a silly comment but are you sure there are no wheel spacers left on the car from the previous alloys ?

I ran this very size on my classic on a new age 17" rim and it's dropped right down low on H&R springs and the tyres never touched... if anything the tyre actually dropped into the arches under pressure.

It may pay to remove a wheel and check for spacers and at the same time have a look to see what the offset is stamped on the insides of the alloys, I think you will find it should be a 48. I'm running 215/35/18 with a 48 offset at the moment and having no troubles at all.

Hope that helps you

Simon

Well its not spacers left behind the wheel anyway. I'll check the offset!!

CyprusScooby 14 November 2005 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by richiewong
Normally people use 215/40 on classics and I think you're right about having a slightly larger offset.

35 is the recommended offset for classics.

Scrappy9 15 November 2005 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiewong

Originally posted by CyprusScooby
35 is the recommended offset for classics.

215/40 is the tyre size. Not the offset

jowl 15 November 2005 08:47 AM

I've got Rota Torque's and they were rubbing at hard cornering....although I did have too fairly large ladies in the back lol

Carlos13 15 November 2005 08:30 PM

A bit of negative camber might nip the top of the tyre in nicely to avoid the rubbing.

I had 215/45 Dunlops on my classic for a while, they rubbed all the time until I did a track day and the outside of the tyre wore down a bit.