ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Windows: Audio Problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/468521-windows-audio-problems.html)

G-STAR 03 November 2005 08:11 PM

Windows: Audio Problems

When I have iTunes open (or any other audio player for that matter), I get crackles/distortion when opening up other programs/doing something else in the foreground when a song is playing, something that has only recently started to happen.

Obviously, my first port of call was to check that there was enough RAM free. Strangely enough, there is 30-40% free when it does occur. I've checked for viruses/adware (all negative), I've updated Windows to SP2, and I've deleted a great deal from my C:/ drive...and now I'm confused. :razz:

G-STAR 04 November 2005 08:26 AM

Surely someone must have an idea or two?

bioforger 04 November 2005 11:10 AM

Check for updated audio drivers on the manufacturers website.

Do you have onboard sound or a PCI card, like SoundBlaster?

Or maybe, are the speakers ok? Crackling/distortion are symptoms of borked speakers.

MJW 04 November 2005 12:52 PM

Check the speakers are plugged into the socket on the PC properly, it might have jogged loose.

G-STAR 09 November 2005 12:42 PM

I've checked for updates, but there are none.

It's on my VAIO laptop, therefore I don't think that it's a loose connection.

It's only when I open up additional programs; when the computer is 'idle-ish', the sound is perfect.

lightning101 09 November 2005 01:00 PM

Do you have any Java based torrent download programs on your machine ?

G-STAR 09 November 2005 02:13 PM

I usually have Azureus running.

G-STAR 09 November 2005 03:29 PM

Although, even with Azureus closed, the problem still exists.

bioforger 09 November 2005 04:31 PM

Scandisk n defrag the drive. Sounds like when there's disc activity its causing the problems. Check the swapfile settings are ok. Turn of the XP HDD Indexing crap. Found in properties of your C:\ drive.

Also make sure ure not running too many things in the background, as something maybe chewing up your resources. How much ram does it have? Anything below 512mb might give you problems. And cpu speed?

G-STAR 09 November 2005 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger
Scandisk n defrag the drive. Sounds like when there's disc activity its causing the problems. Check the swapfile settings are ok. Turn of the XP HDD Indexing crap. Found in properties of your C:\ drive.

I did both when the problem started. I've turned off the indexing, but, again, no change.

Also make sure ure not running too many things in the background, as something maybe chewing up your resources. How much ram does it have? Anything below 512mb might give you problems. And cpu speed?

I have very little running in the background when I have iTunes open too. The laptop has 448 MB of RAM, with a 2.79 GHz processor. The problem has only just started, so it can't be a lack of RAM or processor speed.

bioforger 09 November 2005 10:14 PM

Weird, u shouldnt have any issues at all with that spec. Throw it in the bin? 448mb of ram? where did u get that figure from?

G-STAR 09 November 2005 10:34 PM

Weird, u shouldnt have any issues at all with that spec. Throw it in the bin? 448mb of ram? where did u get that figure from?

My computer > properties.

I presume it's 512 MB - no idea why it says 448 MB.