ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bottom end re-build....tune or not to tune?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/467722-bottom-end-re-build-tune-or-not-to-tune.html)

Ozzy_B 31 October 2005 07:59 PM

Bottom end re-build....tune or not to tune??

With my big/small end bearings going at the weekend it now needs to be rebuilt, ive worked out I cant afford to have it repaired untill atleast after xmas, question is do I just replace/repair with the standard STi bits.....or use lots of uprated goodies??

I currently have an STi 5 (VF24 turbo), stock engine bar full de-cat.

Ideas floating around are:

Stick with standard (STi 5) items. or
HKS 2.2 strocker kit mixed with the STi bits or
2.5 STi complete bottom end using my existing STi head
etc etc

Any recommendations on any paths to follow when looking at bottom end rebuilds? Obvioulsy just replacing everything with stock items will be cheaper and get my car on the road sooner, but I dont mind saving a few more months and going down the tuning route if the results are going to be greater/worth it.

Cheers :ponder2:

PAUL CRAFTS 01 November 2005 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Ozzy_B
With my big/small end bearings going at the weekend it now needs to be rebuilt, ive worked out I cant afford to have it repaired untill atleast after xmas, question is do I just replace/repair with the standard STi bits.....or use lots of uprated goodies??

I currently have an STi 5 (VF24 turbo), stock engine bar full de-cat.

Ideas floating around are:

Stick with standard (STi 5) items. or
HKS 2.2 strocker kit mixed with the STi bits or
2.5 STi complete bottom end using my existing STi head
etc etc

Any recommendations on any paths to follow when looking at bottom end rebuilds? Obvioulsy just replacing everything with stock items will be cheaper and get my car on the road sooner, but I dont mind saving a few more months and going down the tuning route if the results are going to be greater/worth it.

Cheers :ponder2:

Just had same prob i went for cross drilled crank, eagle rods new pistons, forged,-new ecu, fuel pressure reg,tdo5 turbo,headers wrapped plus up pipe also wrapped, with full de-cat,result 333bhp + 290 torque.very fast car type ra sti....

Ozzy_B 01 November 2005 09:49 PM

Hows the car going Paul, is it all run in now? You'll have to take me for a spin in the beast if me and dom go to the WYIOC meet or something again. ;)

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 04:49 PM

No not run in yet ozzy f**ked a piston up, just after last run in time. took it back down to s-c,they had to build a new block up.only did a few miles when run in last time but yes the thing had a mind of its own.So back too the old running-in stage.Any way is your scooby ok know?

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 04:54 PM

Ai saw yours down at the clinic paul hope it isnt long til its repaired,

come on oz lets get it in the garage and get it to bits ;) then i can have two scoobys on the drive in bits lol

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 05:02 PM

All back together dom just got to run in again, getting pi**ed off know of chaves passing me and me looking a right TW*T.

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 05:05 PM

ah well just think mate least ya not putting miles on the tata ;) im stuck drivin me arosa at the mo fed up of waiting on parts :(

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 05:10 PM

Are u up to no good again with those mods again, have u had it on the rolling road yet down at the clinic.

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 05:17 PM

ai am goin mad on the engine (aiming for 350) and lowering it got the bugger in bits on the drive at the mo, itll have to go on the rollers at torque developments as i have a HKS ecu and only them and a few other places can map them

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 05:21 PM

Dom if u having headers wrap them dont forget the old heat soak?

Jay m A 02 November 2005 05:41 PM

Cheapest option (depending on location) might be to give it to Powerstation - they should have some complete STI9 short engines left from the 05 T25 conversions

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 05:46 PM

ai am tryin to decide at mo paul am fed up of savin n spendin ont car so might go for lower spec n leave headers and injectors til new year
should still be pretty quick tho just got bored of power it had

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 05:58 PM

Yes got to keep it real u can run away with money side of it. Iam like forest gump can`t stop running, the thing just keeps eating money,should be good fun when finished.Have u got OZZYS car at yours,what u doing to it?

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 06:02 PM

no i ant got ozzys car but i offered to drop engine out of it for him to save him some cash on the rebuild got quite handy with scoobys since i ripped mine apart

PAUL CRAFTS 02 November 2005 06:07 PM

Is he taking it to scooby-clinic for the work doing,or somewhere else.

DJ_MOD_WRX 02 November 2005 06:22 PM

absolutely no idea probably clinic knowing oz

Ozzy_B 02 November 2005 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by DJ_MOD_WRX
absolutely no idea probably clinic knowing oz

Lol, you knwo me too well! Seriously, im not sure what to do with the car yet, sooooo many people have offered to rebuild it or know someone that can, seen as I wont have the money to do it for a while ive got a long time to think about it:confused:

Bad luck with the pistion paul, hope it all goes well second time round! Did you get any sort of warrenty after scoobyclinc rebuilt the engine?

PAUL CRAFTS 04 November 2005 10:46 PM

hi ozzy yes full re-build free of charge lets hope this time all-well....