ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Caliper to wheel gap ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/467433-caliper-to-wheel-gap.html)

john w 30 October 2005 04:07 PM

Caliper to wheel gap ?

Just replaced the front 2 pot calipers on my ' 94 Classic for the 4 pot ones and discs too,put the 18" wheels back on and was a bit taken back as to how close the caliper is to the wheel.As long as there is no contact i presume that there's not a problem ? The gap i,m refering to is between the outer face of caliper "subaru" and spokes of wheel.

IanK Spec C 30 October 2005 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by john w
Just replaced the front 2 pot calipers on my ' 94 Classic for the 4 pot ones and discs too,put the 18" wheels back on and was a bit taken back as to how close the caliper is to the wheel.As long as there is no contact i presume that there's not a problem ? The gap i,m refering to is between the outer face of caliper "subaru" and spokes of wheel.

Hi,

John,

AP recommend 3mm clearance.

Which 18" wheels are you using?

Regards,

Ian

scoobfan 30 October 2005 04:37 PM

Yes, you need to ensure you have the correct offset otherwise
spacers may be required.

Alot of people think about the diameter of the wheel for caliper clearence
but forget about the front face spacing.

Rob

john w 30 October 2005 05:26 PM

Rob,Ian; Thanks very much for the info. The wheels are Team Dynamics Motorsport 18", don't think fitment is a problem they are 5x100pcd et 50. I reckon that there is a gap of around 5-6mm which i suspect is ok now, however as per my original post i was just surprised as to how close they were to each other.

Originally Posted by scoobfan
Yes, you need to ensure you have the correct offset otherwise
spacers may be required.

Alot of people think about the diameter of the wheel for caliper clearence
but forget about the front face spacing.

Rob

IanK Spec C 30 October 2005 05:46 PM

Hi John,

Glad you've been reassured. I've got 355mm AP 6 Pots under 18 inch Prodrive WRC1's and you can only just get a fag packet between the caliper and the spokes!

Best regards,

Ian

john w 30 October 2005 05:52 PM

Ian, I feel even better now knowing that you've a gap like that !!
Just took it for granted that cos car is fitted with 18's that they would clear calipers by a mile !

Originally Posted by IAN K UK300
Hi John,

Glad you've been reassured. I've got 355mm AP 6 Pots under 18 inch Prodrive WRC1's and you can only just get a fag packet between the caliper and the spokes!

Best regards,

Ian

RON 30 October 2005 08:28 PM

Mine used to clear by a mere .5mm...... and i've seen some that were closer than that, the wheels should not flex, but clearly it's nice to have a whisker for that very reason, if you have 5-6mm then you have loads of space....