ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   5 Dead in Car Crash in St Leonards (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/467177-5-dead-in-car-crash-in-st-leonards.html)

Patt@firstime 29 October 2005 11:31 AM

5 Dead in Car Crash in St Leonards

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4387668.stm

Aweful :( driver and all 4 passengers killed :(

LUCKO 29 October 2005 11:34 AM

what a tragedy, all the families involved must be going through hell. gutted for them

badboy-scoob 29 October 2005 02:34 PM

Terrible Metros/Rover 100 are horrifically unsafe tho - had it been a newwer design carthen theres a good chance some or all would have survived

Turbohot 29 October 2005 02:36 PM

Heard that on the radio:(
My heart goes out to their families...................

Pauleds2 29 October 2005 03:10 PM

A tragedy but i bet there's more to it than meets the eye.

David Lock 29 October 2005 03:29 PM

Police chase

rossyboy 29 October 2005 06:11 PM

sad, you have to wonder what would have happened if it hadn't have been a tin box metro...

mart360 29 October 2005 06:35 PM

and the odds on seat belts being worn??

why is it with the yoof of today, they learn to drive, and its mandatory they wear a belt.. as soon as they pass they take it off....

if they want to make it hit home, it shouldnt be a £60 it should be a 6ptr and prehaps it would not be so cool

would remove a lot of the kudos for the new drivers!!

M

scoobmeister 29 October 2005 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock
Police chase

If it was a police chase they had the option to stop?

JTaylor 29 October 2005 06:52 PM

I managed to write off two metros at the tender age of 17. Frankly, the handling and brakes are frightening and coupled with airfix build quality and inappropriate driving a disaster is begging. I had a very lucky escape, these guys weren't so fortunate. God bless their families.

Brendan Hughes 29 October 2005 06:55 PM

Here you go. Stolen. Wonder if there's so much sympathy now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4388626.stm

RON 29 October 2005 06:57 PM

Yes it's a tradgedy, but as already stated, 'if' the car was being persued, they did have the option to stop, and having read the BBC report, what did they do to create the 'report' in the first place?? they had either done something wrong, like rob somewhere, or driving dangerously, or maybe the car was stolen, 5 lives is a lot to be lost, but, i'm guessing that they all decided to be involved in whatever it was they were up to, but, i guess at the end of the day, it's down to who's driving the car to decide wether to stop or not when being followed by the law..... if indeed that was the case..........

JTaylor 29 October 2005 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Here you go. Stolen. Wonder if there's so much sympathy now...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/s...es/4388626.stm

Still tragic Brendan...

James Neill 29 October 2005 07:02 PM

Not one of them was even 17 years old. Stupid waste of life and stupid for even getting in the car when none of them had even passed their tests.

DEEDEE 29 October 2005 07:05 PM

Yes its tragic, but you see this stuff all too often. This is why insurance is so high. Sorry to say. I would like to say more but we will just think it.

andypugh2000 29 October 2005 07:16 PM

Very sad waste of life but I guess the culture of "the old bill cant touch us coz we are underage" reared its ugly head, I had respect for police and property when i was 16 and wouldnt dare steal a car or mouth a copper as they were allowed to give you a bloody good clip round the ear. Another example of lawless britain :cry:

rr_ww 29 October 2005 08:35 PM

TBH F*ck em!

They CHOSE to steal that car.

They CHOSE to get in to it

They CHOSE not to stop.

Only glad no third party or somebody important was injured.

Wish 29 October 2005 09:42 PM

Agreed ......... Sadly

Pink Bunny 29 October 2005 09:48 PM

This is very local to me, the road they died on has claimed many a life of young drivers, its a tragic waste of life :(

Chrisgr31 29 October 2005 09:54 PM

So we will blame the road rather than the fact none of them were an age to drive, unless of course 1 legged it.

Suspect a speed camera soon as speed will probably have been involved.

Not got much sympathy for those killed, they knew the risks and took them, just be grateful no 3rd party was killed.

Daryl 29 October 2005 09:56 PM

I wonder where the parents thought their 14-16 year old kids were at 0142 in the morning... presumably not tucked up in bed :rolleyes:

davyboy 29 October 2005 10:08 PM

These may well be the same people who have stolen your car, or broken in to your house.....I'm sorry but I have little sympathy.

As I don't know the details of the rest of them, I will refrain from commenting, but what we do know already, is that at least one of them is a thief....and he has saved the tax payer paying to keeping him locked up.

£35k a year to keep someone in prison (to learn more crime)

jonc 29 October 2005 10:09 PM

It is a waste of life, but they chose to waste it. I have little sympathy for theives and criminals regardless of age. What if it had been your car they'd stolen? They are dead through no fault other than their own.

Pink Bunny 29 October 2005 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisgr31
So we will blame the road rather than the fact none of them were an age to drive, unless of course 1 legged it.

Suspect a speed camera soon as speed will probably have been involved.

Not got much sympathy for those killed, they knew the risks and took them, just be grateful no 3rd party was killed.

Im not blaming the road i mearly said that road in particular has had a fair few fatal accidents on it!

GCollier 29 October 2005 10:24 PM

Tough one this.

On the one hand it's easy to say good riddance, they deserved it, and there are now five less scrotes out there who are up to no good.

But death does seem a rather harsh punishment for what they have done. At that age they're still children, and I've seen people mature and change massively between the ages of 15 and 30. Unfortunately these five will never get the chance.

Gary.

Bravo2zero_sps 29 October 2005 11:11 PM

5 less car thieves in England - thats a good thing. Hastings is one of the most crime ridden and poverty stricken places in the UK up there with some of the worst parts of the UK's biggest cities and the chances are if they were doing this at the age of 14 they would be doing far more serious crimes by the age of 20 upwards. It would be sad if these kids were innocent harmless kids that died in a car accident. This is not the case from whats been reported and they were car thieves driving very dangerously late at night at an age where they should be no where near the wheel of a car. To me thats not tragic, they brought it upon themselves and i'm just glad they took no one else with them and they don't have the opportunity to go on and become even more serious criminals.

Tiggs 29 October 2005 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pink Bunny
This is very local to me, the road they died on has claimed many a life of young drivers, its a tragic waste of life :(

can we sort a group buy on these roads?

i'll take 3 for round my way if they sort out car theft like this.

"At that age they're still children, and I've seen people mature and change massively between the ages of 15 and 30."

pity the stuff these ppl steal doesnt mature back to the owners over the years......scum at 15 that matures into a saint at 30 still f*cked up ppls lives 15 years before.

Ian_S 29 October 2005 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by rr_ww
TBH F*ck em!

They CHOSE not to stop.

my thoughts exactly

Markus 29 October 2005 11:40 PM

So, it seems the car had been stolen. In which case, horrible as it might be to say, the kids paid the ultimate price for their crime. I see no mention from the greif stricken father about what he feels about the fact that he son was in a stolen car. No doubt he'd say something like "He was a good lad, he didn't know it was stolen" or the classic "He got in with with a bad crowd".

I'd like to think that this accident would make other kids think twice about stealing a car and the moral, legal and potential physical aspects of doing so, but call me cynical, but it's not going to change a thing.

If it had been one of my kids in the car then of course I'd be upset about it, who would not be, but if the kid had survived, then I'd beat them to within an inch of the life they very nearly just lost, as I'd want to know what the hell they were doing in a stolen car, or if they were the ring leader, why on earth they stole the car.

prodriva 30 October 2005 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by rr_ww
TBH F*ck em!

They CHOSE not to stop.

I agree entirely.