ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   How do you launch yours? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/467036-how-do-you-launch-yours.html)

alloy 28 October 2005 03:25 PM

How do you launch yours?

Just seeing how you launch your cars from a stand still situation. Do you give it some revs and dump the clutch :cuckoo: or are you more conservative and get rolling :sleep:before the revs are piled on :norty:

jdman79 28 October 2005 03:42 PM

Depends, if i'm just popping down the shop for some milk, i might take the slightly more conservative option :)

cookstar 28 October 2005 03:56 PM

Depends what your launching for??

If sprinting/ quarter mile then a fair amount of clutch dumping will be involved

However if just spirited road driving (within speed limits of course ;) ) then its best to just get a rolling start then boot it.

Else you WILL be getting quotes for new clutch very soon

Cookie - Trust me about the quotes :rolleyes:

ru' 28 October 2005 04:42 PM

I find the smell of burning clutch to be as much of a deterrent as the thought of having to get a new one...

cookstar 28 October 2005 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by ru'
I find the smell of burning clutch to be as much of a deterrent as the thought of having to get a new one...

I would dissagree there, the combination of burning clutch, brakes and tyres means youve just been having some serious (expensive) fun :D :D :thumb:

Cookie

ScoobyDoo555 28 October 2005 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
I would dissagree there, the combination of burning clutch, brakes and tyres means youve just been having some serious (expensive) fun :D :D :thumb:

Cookie

Having said that, I can remember my dear ole' grandad revving the t1ts off his Morris Minor, just to reverse it out of the garage!!!! :eek:

Didn't sound like fun - just expensive :(

Dan

Ben WRX Bug-Eye 28 October 2005 07:08 PM

Quick Launch - 3,500 rpm, clutch up such that the power is brought in without shocking the gearbox. Basically I slip the clutch ever so slightly to save the rest of the drivetrain. Full throttle as clutch is coming up - don't want it getting bogged down.

Attack Mode - 5,000 rpm then as above.

Maximum 'I Hate My Car' Attack Mode - Bounce it off the limiter and it will start building boost, then just rip the clutch up.

Edited to add: I really wouldn't advise launching the car at high revs on anything like a regular basis. I certainly don't as things will start breaking. The occassional full bore start can do it good though - sorts out my clutch judder!

TyPe~~R 28 October 2005 07:11 PM

I find the smell of burning clutch to be semi erotic lol. I've done a few 6-7K slight roll then dump the clutch launchs, but after a few the smell of the burnt clucth, you know its gonna cost you. lots of revs {5-6k} and a slowish, controlled clutch return allways works well on the roads

v5 man 28 October 2005 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by TyPe~~R
I find the smell of burning clutch to be semi erotic

:cuckoo:

I know what you mean though, thats how I feel about burning rubber:D:D:D

scottstir1997 29 October 2005 12:23 AM

REV IT,HEAR IT,FEEL IT,AND IF IT GOES SIDEWAYS ITS TOO MUCH