ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   New wrx(well 1996) real S L O W????JAP SPEC!HELP (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/466884-new-wrx-well-1996-real-s-l-o-w-jap-spec-help.html)

Andykat 27 October 2005 08:01 PM

New wrx(well 1996) real S L O W????JAP SPEC!HELP

Well my 1996 wrx has just arived as last!YEY

BUT seems really slow.................no smoke or funny noises just dosent seem to take off like other ones i have driven????feels slower then her indoors's FTO!(30k miles on the wrx by hte way)

Im guessing something wrong!Its been driven back from southhampton by a colection company so god knows what fuel's in it!Feels like a under 200bhp car for sure!

Anythink i should be looking for first?

on a side note anyone know the score on full roll cages & SVA test?Do i need to take it out or will it be ok?

Thanks guys!

Andy

Andykat 28 October 2005 08:53 PM

thats a no then:confused:

leonpoole 28 October 2005 08:56 PM

Be patient. Someone will come along and be able to help you ;)

scoobfan 28 October 2005 08:59 PM

You have bought a car with a full roll cage fitted.

I would imagine it's been thrashed, that's why it's sloooow !

Rob

bobsru 28 October 2005 09:06 PM

if you leave the roll cage in you will need to declare it. !

jdman79 28 October 2005 09:35 PM

Sorry mate, have to agree with scoobfan. I doubt anyone would fit a roll cage unless they thought there was a slight chance that they might roll the car! And that isn't gonna happen driving carefully under 6000 revs around the countryside!

(saying that, there is this guy who lives around the corner from me that drives a 106 (non-gti) with a roll cage fitted, and i assume thats because he think it looks cool. Maybe the previous owner just thought it looked cool?) :-p

s70rjw 28 October 2005 09:53 PM

What is the cars history? When was it last serviced?

waggy doo 28 October 2005 10:08 PM

If its got normal unleaded which it prob will then its likely that the ecu has retarded the ignition.

Carry out an ecu reset.
You can find out how to do this here.

http://www.saxonfields.freeserve.co.uk/

Andykat 28 October 2005 10:33 PM

cheers guys but i just put the battery back on after it only just starting this morning thought it could do with a charge!(long trip from japan i guess)

& BOY has it sprung to life..............seem to have gained 100bhp + its insane now!
guess leaving the battery out for 6 hours may have reset the ECU??

God knows whats the score with the cage as the car is mint with history & 30k miles??(hmmm a scooby that HASnt been thrashed now that must be rare)
(going to take it out & bung it on ebay to fund the new carpet set!)
sorry for the iffy reply folks i was just upset my new toy was S**t!......:notworthy

Got a mate who has all the main dealer diagnostics gear having a look at it next weds but it seems to be fixed now????spose a plug in wont hurt mind you!

Andy

jdman79 28 October 2005 10:41 PM

Glad to hear it mate. I'd be gutted if I just imported a scoob that was slower than an FTO! (i used to have one).

Hope your new toy brings you lots of pleasure like mine has!!!

(No offence to FTO's by the way, nice looking cars but just not as fast as they look!)

Andykat 28 October 2005 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by jdman79
Glad to hear it mate. I'd be gutted if I just imported a scoob that was slower than an FTO! (i used to have one).

Hope your new toy brings you lots of pleasure like mine has!!!

(No offence to FTO's by the way, nice looking cars but just not as fast as they look!)

Ha yeah its nothing like a JAP WRX for sure!

Mine was the slowest i have ever driven!

jsut as quick as a early uk wrx mind u!(no ideah what the late ones are like)
wish the did a turbo 4x4 fto that would be cool!)

Andy

Andykat 28 October 2005 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by bobsru
if you leave the roll cage in you will need to declare it. !

For insurance?

If so no probs as i have trade insurance!
Andy

RON 28 October 2005 10:49 PM

It may fly now, but if it has had the wrong fuel put in, it won't for long...... get a decent amount of at least optimax in there asap......

Originally Posted by Andykat
cheers guys but i just put the battery back on after it only just starting this morning thought it could do with a charge!(long trip from japan i guess)

& BOY has it sprung to life..............seem to have gained 100bhp + its insane now!
guess leaving the battery out for 6 hours may have reset the ECU??

God knows whats the score with the cage as the car is mint with history & 30k miles??(hmmm a scooby that HASnt been thrashed now that must be rare)
(going to take it out & bung it on ebay to fund the new carpet set!)
sorry for the iffy reply folks i was just upset my new toy was S**t!......:notworthy

Got a mate who has all the main dealer diagnostics gear having a look at it next weds but it seems to be fixed now????spose a plug in wont hurt mind you!

Andy

jdman79 28 October 2005 10:52 PM

Ive seen a GR with a turbo conversion pushing 300bhp and that was quite impressive, and there is a place near me with an FTO (Hyeline Performance www.hyeline.com) that have one with a GTO engine for sale. Its totally stripped inside, has only 1 seat and was used as a HKS Kansai test car apparantly! I bet that is quite nippy.

scoobfan 29 October 2005 06:19 PM

I'm gald you got it sorted bud, i was in no way being funny about the
roll cage, it would just put me off that's all, probally an age thing, me that is!!!

Rob

scubbay 29 October 2005 08:49 PM

If it was mine Id burn it. Be sure to use super unleaded or optimax though.

bobsru 29 October 2005 09:12 PM

I doubt anyone would fit a roll cage unless they thought there was a slight chance that they might roll the car!

i dont intend on rolling mine :nono:
it just suits the look of the car as you can see from the pic :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...sru/rally2.jpg

StickyMicky 29 October 2005 09:23 PM

subaru sold sum cars with a factory option roll cage

i have a 96 wrx which is the my97 model
mine needed a ecu reset when i first got it to sort out sum dodgy running
if your battery died you have probably reset the ecu yourself

my car is capable of running fine without octane booster on optimax and does not det
you car
"might"
be the same

Andykat 30 October 2005 12:17 AM

Thanks for all the replys guys!
Going to fill it up on the tescos 99ron tomorrow & reset the ECU again to be sure!
Took the cage out today as it had a couple off bolts that looked like they would brain you if you crashed!:eek2:

Any idea what a 6 point roll cage would make on ebay??
Ned tp buy some bits & bobs now as the interior is a bit buggerd now!grrr(carpet/glove box/grab handles/light unit)
Hoping the cage could fund the new bits!

On a side not what size rims should it be on?

Thanks again!

Andy

GC8 30 October 2005 01:57 AM

A point to consider, with respect to roll cages; is that they may be fitted only to 'enhance' the vehicles appearance. You might not be aware that a number of roll cages have been offered in Subarus options catalogues..... Alternatively the car might have spent the last 5+ years in a Japanese track instruction school!

Simon

bobsru 30 October 2005 05:03 AM

Any idea what a 6 point roll cage would make on ebay??

they are about £300/350 new. so i reckon a good second hand should make £200/250 :)

StickyMicky 30 October 2005 05:40 AM

i paid £120 for my subaru cage on ebay and the bloke had 2 of them

i sold mine on for £120

Andykat 30 October 2005 02:00 PM

That should go a long way to buying a few bits & bobs i need for interior!

Ideal!

Andy