ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Your not going to beleive me but..... (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/466840-your-not-going-to-beleive-me-but.html)

Benno 27 October 2005 05:27 PM

Your not going to beleive me but.....

My odometer has stopped working and rather than wait 4 weeks for one to arrive from Japan for the bargain price of £200 I am buying one off a SNet member.

Herein lies the problem.

His Odometer is showing about 20000 more miles than mine and with the value of old classics falling faster than Tory Leadership candidates I don't need another 20000 miles on the clock that the car hasn't done.

Now the question

How can I wind 20000 miles off his odometer?

It has been suggested that there is a screw in the back that with careful application of a cordless drill can be used to wind back the clock. Does anyone have any experience with this.

thanks

Benno

scooby_matt 27 October 2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Benno
My odometer has stopped working and rather than wait 4 weeks for one to arrive from Japan for the bargain price of £200 I am buying one off a SNet member.

Herein lies the problem.

His Odometer is showing about 20000 more miles than mine and with the value of old classics falling faster than Tory Leadership candidates I don't need another 20000 miles on the clock that the car hasn't done.

Now the question

How can I wind 20000 miles off his odometer?

It has been suggested that there is a screw in the back that with careful application of a cordless drill can be used to wind back the clock. Does anyone have any experience with this.

thanks

Benno

A likely story...:Suspiciou

GC8 27 October 2005 05:50 PM

Disassembly; drills didnt even work on Minis, that was just 'tabloid knowledge'.

Simon

Carl2 27 October 2005 06:28 PM

Just fit it in 20000miles time :p

danwrx1980 27 October 2005 07:40 PM

don't bother mate fit it just before you sell the car!!!!!!
lol
know plenty of people who would

PhilA 27 October 2005 07:45 PM

buy a set with less miles on then.

Trap2Terrorist 27 October 2005 08:00 PM

I have the perfect solution, with two methods:

1) Fit it then drive the car backwards for 20k miles
2) Hire a rolling road for a few weeks and put it in reverse for 20k miles

Jobs a good 'un.

:freak3:

wide 28 October 2005 09:11 AM

How many miles do you do a year? If you do 10k a year fit it in 2 years :)

DonnieDarko 28 October 2005 09:33 AM

so at present the odometer doesn't work? or do you have no speedo too?

not having a speedo will cost you a lot more than £200 if you get speeding tickets. try & find one with less miles

trying to wind back the clock is
a) illegal
b) you'll end up with numbers that don't quite sit right, so look clocked

Dick Cheese 28 October 2005 10:15 AM

Winding back an odometer is NOT illegal as far as I know, but trying to claim a car's wound-back mileage is genuine IS illegal.

Tuts 28 October 2005 10:54 AM

How can he fit it in 20000 miles if his odometer isn't working?http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon10.gif

As others have said before me:

Don't think it is illegal to wind one back, only to falsely claim a cars mileage.

I still wouldn't do it though as it will look clocked.

Buy a lower mileage one.

Chris

Dracoro 28 October 2005 11:06 AM

You should declare to the DVLA if you have fitted a new/different odometer. They will send you a document that shows the change (current mileage on old odo, and new on on new odo). This will be sufficient to show to any prospective buyer the real mileage.

PhilA 28 October 2005 01:30 PM

I guess it'll still be off putting to some though

Jap2Scrap 28 October 2005 02:07 PM

To stop it looking clocked simply drive as normal for 979,999 miles until it shows the true mileage. Then sell it.

justanotherperson 28 October 2005 03:54 PM

get a hand written letter from the person who you are buying the speedo off then tell dvla and keep copys of the letters sent and recieved,

people will be more likely to believe yout his way than trying to fit something that will be wound back/forward or not tie up with you cars service/mot history.

cookstar 28 October 2005 04:15 PM

look in the back of some tuning mags there are a few companies that offer "mileage correction " services, as far as i know this is quick and not very costly. A professional job will be done for you too.

HTH

DonnieDarko 28 October 2005 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
look in the back of some tuning mags there are a few companies that offer "mileage correction " services, as far as i know this is quick and not very costly. A professional job will be done for you too.

HTH

probably best not to file the invoice with your usual service history though!

cookstar 28 October 2005 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
probably best not to file the invoice with your usual service history though!

What dya mean?

Cookie (slow today) :)