ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Completely OT: Guitar question (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/466817-completely-ot-guitar-question.html)

pwhittle 27 October 2005 03:37 PM

Completely OT: Guitar question

I've had a conservatory built as a child-free refuge - PS2 etc
I'd like to keep my guitars in there, just in case I ever play them...

I was wondering whether the temperature changes would halm the guitars. I once kept a pretty good one too close to a radiator and warped the neck.
I'd take it out in summer, as it can get to 45+ C during the day if left closed. But in winter it won't get above about 18, and I shouldn't think below about 10 C. Is that likely to cause a problem?

OllyK 27 October 2005 03:39 PM

Assuming they are wooden, then wood is a natural product and there will always be the possibility of it deforming. Stability of temp and humidity is more of an issue than what it actually is (avoiding extremes obviously)

ScoobyDoo555 27 October 2005 03:45 PM

I once kept a pretty good one too close to a radiator and warped the neck.
I think you've answered your own question!!! :D

As mentioned, a guitar is made of a natural material - temperature will have an effect.

Unless your conservatory has aircon/climate control, I would think about storing them elsewhere :)

Dan

David Lock 27 October 2005 04:19 PM

Well if it's like my conservatory come office then it gets bloody cold and damp at night. I would have thought wrapped in a blanket in the loft would be better.

SiPie 27 October 2005 04:21 PM

Hercules Auto-grab wall hangers

My advice would be to keep them inside...frequent change of temp ain't good for them....

Why not use these wall mounting brackets and make them a feature of your room indoors ?

I can't rate them highly enough ...... although 4 on the wall is beginning to look a bit OTT :rolleyes:

Kyl3cook 27 October 2005 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by SiPie
Hercules Auto-grab wall hangers

My advice would be to keep them inside...frequent change of temp ain't good for them....

Why not use these wall mounting brackets and make them a feature of your room indoors ?

I can't rate them highly enough ...... although 4 on the wall is beginning to look a bit OTT :rolleyes:

I agree...make a feature with some wall mounts in a stable room

I have 8 up at the moment in my lounge, and they really add to it I think.

Bonehead 27 October 2005 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by Kyl3cook
I agree...make a feature with some wall mounts in a stable room

I have 8 up at the moment in my lounge, and they really add to it I think.

The added bonus is, by holding th eguitar by the neck the neck will be kept in good condition

Kuro 27 October 2005 08:20 PM

don't forget with that kind of temp range you'll be re-tuning every time you want to play

RichS 28 October 2005 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Bonehead
The added bonus is, by holding th eguitar by the neck the neck will be kept in good condition

I didn't know that.
My guitars are on stands, but I may switch to hangers if this is true.

Can you elaborate?

Thanks,

Rich :)

Nick 28 October 2005 11:47 AM

Keep them in a room with a more stable temperature & no damp. I keep mine in the bedroom.

SiPie 28 October 2005 12:02 PM

Never heard that before :confused:

Stands or hangers equally effective IMHO

pwhittle 24 November 2005 08:50 AM

Thanks for the advice, I might try a grabber, and convince the wife it's the latest decor trend...