ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Washer Installation For Dummies (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/466792-washer-installation-for-dummies.html)

G-STAR 27 October 2005 02:06 PM

Washer Installation For Dummies

I'm currently trying to install a washer in the basement of our student house, but I've come across a rather major problem. Basically, when everything is connected up (see pictures below), the washer refuses to fill with water. I've tried everything I can think of; checking the water tap, cleaning filters, checking connections, etc., but there's probably a glaring error somewhere. This is my first time trying to install a washer, so please forgive my stupidity.

Below you'll find a couple of images - does that look correct, or am I missing something?

http://www.imusicmovement.com/work/washer.jpg

MattW 27 October 2005 02:09 PM

Check the washer end of those hoses, if it's new there may be stoppers that require removal.

Chip Sengravy 27 October 2005 02:10 PM

a piss take sureley?

you have both hot and cold washer feeds on the cold water main?

Bottomfeeder 27 October 2005 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
a piss take sureley?

As long as the wasing machine has a heating element in it, the only issue that'll cause is wash cycles taking longer.

As for the chaps initial query, it could be down to the water presure not being good enough.

G-STAR 27 October 2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
a piss take sureley?

According to instructions; "Both pipes may be connected to the cold water tap using the special 'Y' connection with multiple attachments, supplied with the appliance". Which is what you see in the images.

MattW - The washer has been used before, but not in this house.

Scooby-Doo 27 October 2005 02:19 PM

If you dont have a hot pipe available then yes you should use a Y connector and the washer will heat the water. Can you remove the hoses from the washing machine and test for pressure. If you have full pressure then it looks likes the washing machine is buggered. You do need a certain pressure for the washer to fill up.

Chip Sengravy 27 October 2005 02:24 PM

well as per usual, I'll stand corrected! :D

G-STAR 27 October 2005 02:25 PM

What's the easiest way to test for pressure?

Again, apologies for the ignorance, I'm very new to all of this. :freak3:

douglasb 27 October 2005 02:27 PM

Just to the left of the Y piece is what looks like a valve. Is this turned off?

If you remove the Y piece, does any water come out the stub pipe?

Nicks VR4 27 October 2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by douglasb

some of these valves only need a small half turn to open so slowly do it with a bucket or something

Brendan Hughes 27 October 2005 02:33 PM

Does it refuse to fill with water, or does it refuse to open the valve to accept water? When you switch it on, do you wait two secs and then hear a click, which should be the valve opening? If not, it could be a problem / safety mech with the washer itself. One of the best is the door is not shut properly, thus forcing the washer not to accept water. Give the door almost a kick on the latch. We complained about a washer not working in a rented flat until the previous tenants just told us to give the door a shove - did so and it switched on without problem :)

Brendan Hughes 27 October 2005 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Nicks VR4
some of these valves only need a small half turn to open so slowly do it with a bucket or something

Boooo, killjoy :)

G-STAR 27 October 2005 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by douglasb

I think it's closed - I did try to open it with a pair of pliers, but it wouldn't shift. Perhaps worth another try?

Jay m A 27 October 2005 02:48 PM

That'll be it then! 1/4 turn is all you need

G-STAR 27 October 2005 03:05 PM

Problem sorted - a 1/4 turn is all that was needed.

Thanks all. :)

EddScott 27 October 2005 04:36 PM

2 days after moving into our new house, my girlfriends younger cousin ran into the Kitchen saw the hot and cold taps where the washing machine was due to go and turned them both on!!!! :(

Took them ages to get past the boiling hot water before turning them off. Cam home to a flood up to the front door.

Needless to say he got feck all that christmas.

BOB.T 27 October 2005 04:37 PM

What's going on with that earth lead? :Suspiciou