ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Bleed Valve (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/466670-bleed-valve.html)

adzipalmer 26 October 2005 11:45 PM

Bleed Valve

Looking to increase my BHP by around 30/40hp, would you recommend a BLEED VALVE??? If not what other options do I have without spending too much money???

Brun 27 October 2005 12:24 AM

Avoid a bleed valve.
What car do you have?

adzipalmer 27 October 2005 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by Brun
Avoid a bleed valve.
What car do you have?

my01 bugeye

v5 man 27 October 2005 12:31 AM

got any mods already?

adzipalmer 27 October 2005 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by v5 man
got any mods already?

#

Not mods at all, just a piper cross replacement filter

v5 man 27 October 2005 12:34 AM

losing the cats will give you lots more horses. Only problem is that the bugeye has 3 of the bastid things:(

adzipalmer 27 October 2005 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by v5 man
losing the cats will give you lots more horses. Only problem is that the bugeye has 3 of the bastid things:(

Does that cause any problems when getting the next MOT??? What would you suggest to get me 30/40hp???

alloy 27 October 2005 09:58 AM

from my understanding bleed valves can swell under temperatures and so can cause rapid variation in boost levels. I'd recommend a full turbo back decat, thats got to unlock 25-30 hp for you as well as giving a bit of a noise( you can always find performance car friendly garages come mot time for a little extra premium :norty: ). ECU for between 600 upto 1k and over depending will see circa 30-40 more hp and the car will feel like a much more complete package, i was astonished by how much more driveability i got off this! then look at an electronic boost control for another 30hp. I've done these to my bug eye sti import and ity's producing over 300 whp!!! about 372hp at the fly

adzipalmer 27 October 2005 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by alloy
from my understanding bleed valves can swell under temperatures and so can cause rapid variation in boost levels. I'd recommend a full turbo back decat, thats got to unlock 25-30 hp for you as well as giving a bit of a noise( you can always find performance car friendly garages come mot time for a little extra premium :norty: ). ECU for between 600 upto 1k and over depending will see circa 30-40 more hp and the car will feel like a much more complete package, i was astonished by how much more driveability i got off this! then look at an electronic boost control for another 30hp. I've done these to my bug eye sti import and ity's producing over 300 whp!!! about 372hp a the fly

Thanks for all your help

Adam

VDubGav 27 October 2005 11:21 AM

You'll need a group A carb to fit one of these....oh sh!t wrong car :freak3:

carl 27 October 2005 11:44 AM

I think that realistically a full turbo back decat is more like 5-10bhp.

harvey 27 October 2005 11:47 AM

There are quality bleed valves for around £30 that operate reliably (GBE for instance) but the problem is that if you up the boost, then at some point you need more fuel and if you need it and dont have it you pick up a piston in the bore.
This is a bad thing and an expensive experience.

scooby dancer 27 October 2005 11:56 AM

fooling your waste gate to stay closed to add boost is a big no no not only the lack of fuel you take away the ecus control of over boost also cars map will be all over the place :nono:

harvey 27 October 2005 03:13 PM

There is nothing wrong with doing it if you know what you are doing and have the means to check AFRs.
Why would the map be all over the place?

adzipalmer 27 October 2005 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by harvey
There is nothing wrong with doing it if you know what you are doing and have the means to check AFRs.
Why would the map be all over the place?

What other options do I have to increase it by 30/40hp??? Just got a PIPER CROSS replacement and going to purchase an exhaust.

flat4_ire 27 October 2005 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by carl
I think that realistically a full turbo back decat is more like 5-10bhp.

exactly

harvey 28 October 2005 11:19 AM

Some systems perform better than others. Getting rid of the cats will increase power for a start but as the complete system has to work as a whole you are unlikely to get good results with a back box from one supplier, centre pipe from elsewhere and front pipe from somebody else.
Revolution claim up to 39 bhp from their system. I think that is over the top but from fitting that system to several cars I know the increase is enough to leave you in no doubt there is a power lift. I also notice a small increase in boost, probably as a result of freeing up the O/E system. Could be 15 bhp plus. Certainly noticable.

adzipalmer 28 October 2005 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by harvey
Some systems perform better than others. Getting rid of the cats will increase power for a start but as the complete system has to work as a whole you are unlikely to get good results with a back box from one supplier, centre pipe from elsewhere and front pipe from somebody else.
Revolution claim up to 39 bhp from their system. I think that is over the top but from fitting that system to several cars I know the increase is enough to leave you in no doubt there is a power lift. I also notice a small increase in boost, probably as a result of freeing up the O/E system. Could be 15 bhp plus. Certainly noticable.

Thanks again, most helpful