ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Sky+ to PC (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/466012-sky-to-pc.html)

Neil W 24 October 2005 12:02 PM

Sky+ to PC

Hi

Does anyone know if it is possible to get recorded programs from Sky+ onto a PC?

If so, how is this done etc..

Many thanks

Hanley 24 October 2005 12:05 PM

I done it via my DV camcorder

:)

Neanderthal 24 October 2005 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Hanley
I done it via my DV camcorder

Explain please!?!!! :)

simo 24 October 2005 02:44 PM

at a guess he copied from Sky+ to his camcorder & then from this to his pc :thumb:

bioforger 24 October 2005 03:43 PM

Yes I've done it. There's only one way to do it with sky+, s-video out.

You need a tv card with an s-video input and an svideo lead out from your sky+ :) With these 2 parts I can capture sky+ recordings and normal TV in realtime. I've got the Leadtek Winfast XP Pro card, its only £35 or so. Quality isnt perfect, but good enough for authoring onto dvdrs.

If you want 1:1 quality (or close) then all you need is a better tv capture card, making sure it has s-video and audio inputs :)

Edited to say, the leadtek card comes with an audio/svideo dongle so you can connect the stereo audio outputs from the sky+ to the tv card, as well as the picture (s-video) directly to.

Neil W 24 October 2005 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by bioforger
Yes I've done it. There's only one way to do it with sky+, s-video out.

You need a tv card with an s-video input and an svideo lead out from your sky+ :) With these 2 parts I can capture sky+ recordings and normal TV in realtime. I've got the Leadtek Winfast XP Pro card, its only £35 or so. Quality isnt perfect, but good enough for authoring onto dvdrs.

If you want 1:1 quality (or close) then all you need is a better tv capture card, making sure it has s-video and audio inputs :)

Edited to say, the leadtek card comes with an audio/svideo dongle so you can connect the stereo audio outputs from the sky+ to the tv card, as well as the picture (s-video) directly to.

Excellent thanks. So I guess if you have recorded a program you need to play it back and record it to PC whilst playing on Sky+

I guess it is not possible to see the files on the Sky+ to copy to PC?

rich101 24 October 2005 10:05 PM

I believe the files are stored in the downstream format i.e. with Sky's own encryption, as yet unbreakable, therefore the files are of v. limited value.

There is such a thing as RGB capture cards, mucho cash but if quality is important . . .

TBH the best method right now is using FTA PCI cards - Black Gold - using MCE or similar is highly rated by those in the know.

Out of interest what shows/programs do you want to capture ? As there are other methods ;)

rich

Originally Posted by Neil W
Excellent thanks. So I guess if you have recorded a program you need to play it back and record it to PC whilst playing on Sky+

Neanderthal 25 October 2005 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by simo
at a guess he copied from Sky+ to his camcorder & then from this to his pc :thumb:

I kinda guessed that :p
I was really questioning how he connected it to his camcorder as many don't have s-video in connections!

bioforger 25 October 2005 12:40 PM

Indeed. Which is really useful actually. As you can pause, cut out adverts, or use the bookmarks facility to jump to points as you record. With the right editng software you can edit out the sky+ logos/playback icons etc.

Correct again.

Hanley 25 October 2005 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by simo

Yep

S-Video from Sky+ to camcorder and then from camcorder to PC

If I had a long enough cable my camcorder could have been used a pass through direct to my pc

bioforger 25 October 2005 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by rich101
TBH the best method right now is using FTA PCI cards - Black Gold - using MCE or similar is highly rated by those in the know.
rich

Yeh but thats only good for the FTA channels. Not much good if you want to capture a movie, or some sky sports ;) But yeh the quality is superb, as its a direct feed into the PC.

RRH 25 October 2005 02:09 PM

Not sure if I've missed the point, but I'm fairly sure I can record on my PC through the WinTV card.

The TV aerial is stuck in to the back of the TV card, I have an amplified aerial system with the sky plus box injected in to it. All TVs are connected to the amp, as is the WinTV card.

I'll have to try it and see if it works.