ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Another AOL Broadband Question - Xbox Live... (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/465187-another-aol-broadband-question-xbox-live.html)

wez_sti 20 October 2005 03:00 PM

Another AOL Broadband Question - Xbox Live...

can you use xbox live with AOL??

anyone doing so?

currently running internet through pc and sharing the internet connection, xbox plugged in via LAN connection. not working though, fails on xbox at 'no dns server....'

any ideas?

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 03:17 PM

yes you can, i did have it - give me a second to remember how...

if you have connection via the pc then of course youll need the pc on all the time to be able to use xbox live.
are you not able to connect a ethernet cable straight from router to xbox?

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 03:28 PM

there is a section in aol gaming that goes through the different settings - look there. Ive got the various configurations at home but cant remember off hand

wez_sti 20 October 2005 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by InvisibleMan

yes you can, i did have it - give me a second to remember how...

if you have connection via the pc then of course youll need the pc on all the time to be able to use xbox live.
are you not able to connect a ethernet cable straight from router to xbox?

hi mate, have a crappy usb modem, so no direct connection, hoping to use my d-link router evetually.

will have a look at AOL gaming

cheers mate

wez_sti 20 October 2005 04:19 PM

followed thier Internet connection sharing guide to the letter and doesnt work.

ceate a connection called 'console' then share the connection but doesnt connect when i try 'remote computer not responding'

sharing screen is slightly diff to the wizard one, has a box for 'home networking selection'

quite annoying!

thought i'd just share the broadband connection i started with and the connect through the LAN port?

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 04:20 PM

if you have that wireless router and theres a port for an ethernet cable you could connect direct.

phone socket--router--ethernet cable to xbox

you need to put your <username>@AOL.COM & password in the router settings and xbox settings

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 04:23 PM

i havent set it up to use pc at the same time. Aol modem for the pc. router for the missus' laptop & xbox

wez_sti 20 October 2005 04:32 PM

if you have that wireless router and theres a port for an ethernet cable you could connect direct.

phone socket--router--ethernet cable to xbox

you need to put your <username>@AOL.COM & password in the router settings and xbox settings

thats what i'll try but AOL can be funny with non supported hardware and tried it once without success, couldnt even get a connection to the internet on the pc!

wez_sti 20 October 2005 05:40 PM

no luck. tried entering passwords/usernames into the router config but no joy.

theres so many settings would take forever to try them all.

gonna have another hunt round for some help

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 06:02 PM

will look tonight & let you know tomorrow

used the default router address
Select PPPoE & username@aol.com

im sure these were the only options. Though i was clueless too & it took me afew goes at it too

wez_sti 20 October 2005 06:42 PM

will look tonight & let you know tomorrow

used the default router address
Select PPPoE & username@aol.com

im sure these were the only options. Though i was clueless too & it took me afew goes at it too

ok mate cheers, was hoping to get it on today as only day off work for a while, never mind!

InvisibleMan 20 October 2005 08:13 PM

ip address & dns set to automatic as uses the routers settings. PPPoE enabled and AOLs details set up in router & xbox

not sure why it took me a while seeing as its all set to automatic...

King Eric 20 October 2005 09:11 PM

Mate, get the Netgear wireless router for AOL broadband setup

Then bung your ethernet cable for your xbox in a spare port

Job done

Welloilbeefhooked 20 October 2005 11:49 PM

How about XBox System link through your broadband to your mates and possibly other online users for free?

Search google for Xbox Connect. Its tunnelling software that fools the box into thinking the others are wired to it.

Seen it running on my mates XBox.

InvisibleMan 21 October 2005 09:32 AM

i reckon it the wireless stuff - theyre nothing but trouble, thats why isps dont support them. i get it at work all the time trouble setting it up, stick a wire in it & bugger me it works :rolleyes:

i just made it easy for myself: phonesocket into router - ethernet out to xbox. Seems simple & straight forward, but it did take quite a while before they all found each other. settings wise there isnt an options, just as ive said before

wez_sti 21 October 2005 10:39 AM

i reckon it the wireless stuff - theyre nothing but trouble, thats why isps dont support them. i get it at work all the time trouble setting it up, stick a wire in it & bugger me it works :rolleyes:

i just made it easy for myself: phonesocket into router - ethernet out to xbox. Seems simple & straight forward, but it did take quite a while before they all found each other. settings wise there isnt an options, just as ive said before

yeah i've tried that..aint bothered about it being wireless for the moment, tried connecting both the laptop and the x-box straight to the router via ethernet and it doesnt work...

there are loads of settings on the router to set, ie username/password, plus min and max values for various things plus the type of protocol for a start such as ppoe dhcp etc..???

help!

InvisibleMan 21 October 2005 11:19 AM

i must admit i dont know whether all of the settings should or needs to be changed (for security/speed etc) but all i know i had no probs with what i did.
theres only 4 settings change, dhcp as auto, ppoe, & aol details entered for both router & xbox

wez_sti 24 October 2005 11:51 AM

wahey!!!

sorted it!!! just overlooked a couple of settings!! :Whatever_

well my average amount of sleep is gonna take a nose-dive now!!

Time to get my Halo 2 rank back up after they were all reset!! :D

InvisibleMan 24 October 2005 12:19 PM

good stuff, what did you miss out?

Yup the missus & I enjoyed many a late night playing Halo :D

wez_sti 24 October 2005 01:31 PM

good stuff, what did you miss out?

Yup the missus & I enjoyed many a late night playing Halo :D

not saying, its a bit embaressing, esp as i'm a computer engineer!

InvisibleMan 24 October 2005 02:09 PM

you muppet :p

wez_sti 24 October 2005 07:12 PM

you muppet :p

ha ha! i know!

most annoying thing is i waited for months to get broadband mainly for xbox live, i do, then the day after live closes for 'maintenence' !!!!

does anyone know for how long???