ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What Size compressor for a Garage? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/464189-what-size-compressor-for-a-garage.html)

Hol 16 October 2005 09:11 AM

What Size compressor for a Garage?

I want to put an air compressor in my garage and plumb it in so I can run An Air Gun and other air tools out on the driveway.

I can see lots of compressors fro sale on Ebay, but don't know a lot about them to know hat size I will actually need.

Obviously BIGGER is best, but Im not interested in overkill at the expense of space.

The garage is a standard double box. An I intend to site the compressor at the far wall and run rigid piping around the walls.

Leslie 16 October 2005 09:40 AM

Hard to say without too much personal experience but I would have thought that the size of the pressurised air tank is also important, especially if you are using air tools.

Les

Chip 16 October 2005 09:48 AM

If its just for home use in the garage you wouldnt need any more than about 10cfm.

Chip

TopBanana 16 October 2005 10:58 AM

Depends if you intend to be spraying?

Chip 16 October 2005 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana
Depends if you intend to be spraying?

Even then most guns will run OK off 10cfm. Just check the flow rates of guns before you buy. Or get a bigger compressor just in case.

Remember tools will be rated by volume and not pressure.

Chip

TopBanana 16 October 2005 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chip
Even then most guns will run OK off 10cfm.

I was thinking more of the reservoir size. You don't want it running out of wind in the middle of a coat.

MartinM 16 October 2005 04:55 PM

A SIP 150psi, 50litres, 10cfm does me just fine....

...the only tool it can't handle continuously is an old (therefore "air inefficient"?) DA sander, but by the time you've stood back and admired the handiwork (or not), it's ready to go again.

Great tool for the garage - use it for all sort of things

Chip 16 October 2005 05:01 PM

Compressed air should be governed so it doesnt exceed 100psi/7Bar.

Chip

CrisPDuk 17 October 2005 12:52 PM

Be careful with second hand ones on Ebay. Pressurised vessels need to be certified for insurance purposes, commercial insurers are now cracking down on this and it's cheaper to buy a new compressor than get the old reservoir re-certified, therefore there are a lot of redundant (but still bloody good) old pieces of kit out there.

OllyK 17 October 2005 02:15 PM

I'm interested in doing much the same thing, and likewise with setting the pressure washer up and plumbing through to a wash down area I have (or will when the garage is complete) at the back of the garage.

Anybody up to speed with what is needed in terms of piping and connectors to do compressed air and also high pressure water. I know John Guest do speed fit connectors for compressed air, but that's about it.

pbee 17 October 2005 03:34 PM

checkout screwfix, they had one 1/2 price £75 instead of £150 in the last catalogue I would of bought it but i already have my new 800ltr aquarium living in the corner of the garage, so didnt have the room for yet another toy.

David_Wallis 17 October 2005 04:55 PM

I used to have a reasonable sized compressor and it just wasnt up to the job, think it was around 7cfm.. I now have a 14cfm compressor with 150 litre tank and this runs everything I need to.. If you want to use a D/A sander then get a big tank and around 14 cfm.. Its easier to buy bigger... It just runs for less time and less often rather than running flat out all the time..

Also avoid direct drive if at all possible..

Look at machine mart as they have some nice ones.

David