ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   De-cat questions. (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/463899-de-cat-questions.html)

scooby who 14 October 2005 06:06 PM

De-cat questions.

De-cat questions
I have a 1999 classic uk Turbo which is standard apart from being fitted with a API Power Force backbox. I would like some more power and am considering going down the de-cat route.
No.1. If I fit a de-cat downpipe & keep the centre cat should it still pass an MOT & what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.2. If I fit a de-cat centre & keep the downpipe cat should it still pass an MOT & what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.3. If I fit a de-cat downpipe and de-cat centre,what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.4. Which of the above(if any) can be done using the standard ecu & no remap ?
Hope someone can help,Thanks.

scoobyDAZZA 14 October 2005 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by scooby who
De-cat questions
I have a 1999 classic uk Turbo which is standard apart from being fitted with a API Power Force backbox. I would like some more power and am considering going down the de-cat route.
No.1. If I fit a de-cat downpipe & keep the centre cat should it still pass an MOT & what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.2. If I fit a de-cat centre & keep the downpipe cat should it still pass an MOT & what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.3. If I fit a de-cat downpipe and de-cat centre,what is the likely b.h.p gain ?
No.4. Which of the above(if any) can be done using the standard ecu & no remap ?

1 - yes if its hot,15-20 bhp gain
2 - yes . 6-8 bhp gain
3 - 20 - 25
4 - only the de-cat centre IMO

hoskib 14 October 2005 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by scooby who
De-cat questions
Hope someone can help,Thanks.

hi,

1- mot pass, should be ok (i put the centre cat on for mot's:)) not sure of the bhp but the downpipe is the most restrictive part of the system

2- again should pass, power gains will be minimal

3- before i had my remap done the power was up to 240 (my 99 uk) with full decat

4- as far as i'm aware you can do what you want to the exhaust without worrying about remap on the classic shape (uk that is). but a £500odd ecutek remap will get you about 260bhp (or 277 on power engineering's rollers when i had my map done;):D) but whatever the bhp/torque, it really does make the most of the deact:thumb:

scooby who 14 October 2005 08:28 PM

Thanks for the reply guy's. The full de-cat sounds best,but im a bit worried about doing the full de-cat & using the standard ecu. Will this cause me problems? Does anyone run a my99 uk turbo with full de-cat and standard ecu without problems?(can't really afford aftermarket ecu).

scoobyDAZZA 15 October 2005 06:03 PM

i personally wouldn't run a full decat without a remap
some do but i didn't , if you go to someone like bob rawle then the initial fee
is quite steep but then IIRC its about a quarter as you've purchased the licence and are a returning customer,if you go back to him,lol. which you would,i have,4 times :):)

scooby who 15 October 2005 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyDAZZA
i personally wouldn't run a full decat without a remap
some do but i didn't , if you go to someone like bob rawle then the initial fee
is quite steep but then IIRC its about a quarter as you've purchased the licence and are a returning customer,if you go back to him,lol. which you would,i have,4 times :):)

Thanks again for the reply. You say you wouldn't run a full decat without a remap.Is this because it would cause a problem,or just that you wouldn't get the ultimate power gains without a remap? If so,im not bothered about getting the best from my decat,just trying to free a few extra horses on the cheap.

recopish 15 October 2005 07:54 PM

Run a full full decat all the time, apart from mot time, then you replace the centre pipe only.

scooby who 15 October 2005 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by recopish
Run a full full decat all the time, apart from mot time, then you replace the centre pipe only.

Is it safe to do this without re-mapping? my99 uk turbo