ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   oil temp gauge fitting (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/463331-oil-temp-gauge-fitting.html)

p1doc 12 October 2005 12:15 PM

oil temp gauge fitting

been told if require oil temp gauge on ecutek require sender to be welded to sump costing £100's-is this needed or just tapped into sump
martin

p1doc 13 October 2005 10:39 AM

bttt

ozzy 13 October 2005 11:26 AM

this a newage or P1? On the classic blocks there's a handy bung above #3 cylinder for a oil temp sender. I was told down it's best fitting a sender where the engine is hottest and that's not at the sump AFAIK.

RRH 13 October 2005 07:15 PM

I had the same problem and ended up welding a nut in to the sump to take the temp probe. The bung above number 3 is used for my oil pressure sender.

unfeasablylargegonads 14 October 2005 02:18 AM

you can get a "ring" that fits betweent he engine and the oil filter if all else fails and you dont fancy welding bolts etc.

I have a classic and use the no3 blank for oil temp and use a LMA T where the standard pressure sensor is for the pressure guage sender although I personly think it looks a bit mesy (could well just be my install though ;))

BTW the No3 oil blanking plate is reported to be the best place to take an accurate oil temp reading from and will be a slighty different tempreture from that taken at the sump.

p1doc 14 October 2005 10:00 PM

it is on new age sti,standard temp gauge appears erratic-do change oil every 5,000 miles could be catching it,rang ecutek for advice and they said the above £500 to weld temp gauge to sump seems to be taking the p*ss!
thanks
martin

RRH 14 October 2005 10:04 PM

you don't have a 'standard' oil temp guage; you have a water temp gauge.

p1doc 14 October 2005 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by RRH
you don't have a 'standard' oil temp guage; you have a water temp gauge.

sorry standard om subaru gauge pack
martin

Midlife...... 14 October 2005 11:45 PM

PI Doc

are you referring to the Oil temp sender for a SECS / Ecutek ??

AFAIK these are standard Defi's

Midlife.....

p1doc 15 October 2005 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife......
PI Doc

are you referring to the Oil temp sender for a SECS / Ecutek ??

AFAIK these are standard Defi's

Midlife.....

no the ones for subaru sports gauge pack

Midlife...... 15 October 2005 09:50 PM

Hi P1doc

Sorry :( .........It's my fault I just got confused.

I saw the word EcuTeK and thought you were referring to the EcuTeK branded SECS unit.

Do you still travel to Carlilse to Stan Palmers ??

Cheers

Shaun

p1doc 16 October 2005 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Midlife......
Hi P1doc

Sorry :( .........It's my fault I just got confused.

I saw the word EcuTeK and thought you were referring to the EcuTeK branded SECS unit.

Do you still travel to Carlilse to Stan Palmers ??

Cheers

Shaun

oh yes always nip in for a bit of gossip ans see what cars he has,had a passenger ride in maserati 3.2 v8 twin turbo pretty nippy then ian found the sports button!
martin