ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   How much Faster Tomorrow?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/461820-how-much-faster-tomorrow.html)

cookstar 05 October 2005 04:03 PM

How much Faster Tomorrow??

I have 02WRX, currently only cat i have is in the up-pipe, have induction kit fitted and STi8 top mount intercooler.

Running on Optimax

Tomorrow morning i have booked in to have the up pipe replaced with de-cat item and am haveing Dawes device fitted to run at 1.2 bar.

How much difference do you think i will feel with these two mods i'm haveing done?

Will hopefully be remapped in the next couple of months, but this should be o.k to run till then shouldnt it?

Cookie

BVM 05 October 2005 05:13 PM

Up-pipe should help spool but with a MBC fitted you wouldnt know it. The MBC will really wake up your scoob but you have to watch for PTFB. Make sure you get it remapped with the FBCS soon. MBC's are just a way to make due, if you know what I mean.

cookstar 05 October 2005 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by BVM
Up-pipe should help spool but with a MBC fitted you wouldnt know it. The MBC will really wake up your scoob but you have to watch for PTFB. Make sure you get it remapped with the FBCS soon. MBC's are just a way to make due, if you know what I mean.

:confused:

Also would it be safe to run any higher than 1.2 bar

BVM 05 October 2005 05:53 PM

I personally wouldnt run the stock TD04 over 17.5 psi.

cookstar 05 October 2005 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by BVM
I personally wouldnt run the stock TD04 over 17.5 psi.

Sorry mate, what does that work out to in bar readings?

If run at too high boost, does the turbo suffer first before anything else? Just asking because i plan to fit TD05 shortly so saving the TD04 is not high priority, and would like to enjoy the most out of standard turbo before replacement.

Sorry for silly questions but am technical newbie :)

BVM 05 October 2005 07:27 PM

Dont really know bar but I guess that would be about 1.15bar. Anymore would just be hot(ter) air.

Hepy 05 October 2005 07:42 PM

17.5 psi = 1.2 bar
:D

trainer 05 October 2005 07:51 PM

I have a 03 WRX it as full de-cat , up pipe and ECUTEK remap done at Scooby-Clinic it made a masive difference totally different car made 282 bhp 300lbft torque my advice is get it re-mapped ASAP

JohnD 05 October 2005 07:59 PM

I think you are risking it a bit running 1.2 bar (17.64psi) without the appropriate fuelling and ignition adjustments. The fact that you've completly de-catted it has also made this more important.
JohnD

cookstar 05 October 2005 08:16 PM

It doesnt really get driven much at the mo anyway, was kinda hoping to hold out for the re-map till i have had the new turbo installed, as i may also change the headers too.

Cookie

P.S what kind of power should i hope for with full decat and running 1.2, not sure if the i/c will have any bearing at this point.

BVM 05 October 2005 09:17 PM

I only got 297hp/285ftlbs (232awhp) with a TBE, UP, filter, 15.5psi (spike to 17.5 psi) and ECUTEK @ scooby clinic on my '02 WRX. But they said my USDM WRX made more power than it should for the mods.

Neilo 05 October 2005 10:30 PM

1.2bar is fine on a td04....just not much more.

jasonius 06 October 2005 03:24 PM

1.3-1.4..;)

cookstar 06 October 2005 03:36 PM

Well just returned from having up pipe and dawes fitted.

Havent set dawes up yet so only running 0.7 bar, but you can really feel the turbo spool up quicker, and even though the drop in boost it feels just as quick before.

Cant wait to see 1.2 now :D

Oh, and it sounds LOUD now too :)

BVM 06 October 2005 06:09 PM

Biggest gain you feel with a MBC on a newage is full boost in 1st gear. Hits hard!

cookstar 06 October 2005 11:10 PM

Set it to 1.1 (just over in the end), plenty enough

Car flies now, just feels like a different car,

Well chuffed :)

chris_c201 07 October 2005 07:22 PM

Cookstar...

How much did you pay for the MBC and how much was the installation??

If i was running completely standard (apart from panel filter) on a bugeye WRX would i be looking at a similar maximum boost, just under 1.1 bar?

If so would i notice a big difference, what does the WRX run at as standard?

Cheers,
Chris.

Originally Posted by cookstar
Set it to 1.1 (just over in the end), plenty enough

Car flies now, just feels like a different car,

Well chuffed :)

cookstar 10 October 2005 06:51 AM

I paid £10 for the dawes off a friend, but i think they cost around £35 new, the 02WRX runs at a tad under 0.9 BAR standard i believe, and yes you will notice a big difference after fitting.

Dont see any reason why you wouldnt be able to achieve that much boost.

HTH

Cookie

chris_c201 10 October 2005 09:02 AM

Cheers,

Easy enough to fit? I take it you have a boost guage fitted, is that all, no knocklink?

Originally Posted by cookstar
I paid £10 for the dawes off a friend, but i think they cost around £35 new, the 02WRX runs at a tad under 0.9 BAR standard i believe, and yes you will notice a big difference after fitting.

Dont see any reason why you wouldnt be able to achieve that much boost.

HTH

Cookie

cookstar 10 October 2005 12:46 PM

boost controller took around 5 mins to fit, not by myself, but looks very simple, setting it up can take some time though, but its quite fun to do.

start, boot it, stop and adjust about 10 times.

And no, no knock link

Subaru fitted boost guage on steering coloumn