ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Is it me or have text messages got shorter? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/460556-is-it-me-or-have-text-messages-got-shorter.html)

Luminous 29 September 2005 08:07 PM

Is it me or have text messages got shorter?

When text messages first came out, I thought that you could send about 500 characters per message.

Just send a reasonable length message to a mate, and it had to stretch over two messages, was only 300 characters :eek:

Any thoughts?

Chip Sengravy 29 September 2005 08:08 PM

yes, use email instead :idea:

u nbhed! :D

sarasquares 29 September 2005 08:11 PM

me to, i noticed i cant say as much as usual:(

Luminous 29 September 2005 08:12 PM

My mate does not use email, as he does not have a PC that is reliably connected to the t'internet. He spends most of his life attending to dairy cows. The fact that he can operate a mobile phone is a miracle in itself :p

sarasquares 29 September 2005 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
yes, use email instead :idea:

u nbhed! :D

u r wastin 2 mny lettrs U NBED...AND YOU CAN LOSE THE ! HTH:D

Luminous 29 September 2005 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by sarasquares
me to, i noticed i cant say as much as usual:(

Am sure it is some sort of conspiracy to make us use twice as many messages :mad: :mad:

I hate mobile phone companies :mad:

sarasquares 29 September 2005 08:16 PM

imagine if we didnt have them anymore:eek:
there will be a reality prog soon where families will have to live without then for a week:rolleyes:

16vmarc 29 September 2005 08:18 PM

My mate regularly sends 7 in a row to his lady friend :eek:

Luminous 29 September 2005 08:18 PM

Better than trying to live without computers :eek:

Imagine life without SN :eek:

GC8 29 September 2005 08:20 PM

An SMS message has always been just over 160 characters long. Its possible to send one 'message' actually comprising three individual SMS messages, which will be displayed as one.... Network providers will commonly charge you for three (or two, depending on the message length) messages in this instance.

Hope that this helps

Simon

imlach 29 September 2005 08:20 PM

Nope...always been 160 characters per message (or 70 if using a foreign character set such as arabic etc) since the first message was sent in Nov 1992.

The other fact about SMS is that they are sent in the signalling part of the call - bandwidth which was unused before SMS.

So, SMS was always an unexpected revenue stream for the network operators who didn't think SMS would be as popular as it is now!

While your voice call takes up huge amounts of bandwidth in comparison, an SMS is a tiny bit of data, yet they can charge up to 10p for it....

They rake it in from SMS :D

Luminous 29 September 2005 08:25 PM

Ah OK, so I will not get too mad with them then....thought that they were trying to pull a fast one on me!! :)

sarasquares 29 September 2005 08:34 PM

they are:(