ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   it may be that time (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/460244-it-may-be-that-time.html)

pnbond007 28 September 2005 06:13 PM

it may be that time

All this car jacking stuff & the rest of the problems associated with owning a Scoob, is just about turning me off owning one.

Gonna look into moving my pride & joy of an RA on & go back to bikes....

Luckyscoob 29 September 2005 01:09 PM

Know what you meen, makes me sick, I always used to keep the Mrs car in the garage as it's slightly older and I am always first out in the mornings, but just recently started putting the scoob in the garage and blocking it in with her car, CRAZY WORLD!!!

stilover 29 September 2005 01:31 PM

Yeh, know exactly what you mean. After reading all the recent posts regarding carjacking, especialy from the guy who got stabbed, I've started looking in my mirrors when ever I'm near to home just to make sure I'm not being followed.

Jamesemt 29 September 2005 01:34 PM

After the Scoob got broken into 8 weeks ago, we decided to move...

Stilover - don't you ALWAYS check your mirrors anyway?? I know I do :cuckoo:

stilover 29 September 2005 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jamesemt
After the Scoob got broken into 8 weeks ago, we decided to move...

Stilover - don't you ALWAYS check your mirrors anyway?? I know I do :cuckoo:

Yes, I do always check my mirrors, but prior to reading posts regarding carjacking I am now more alert to what car is behind, who and how many are in it, & how long has it been behind me.

DonnieDarko 29 September 2005 03:20 PM

all this car jacking ****- is it mostly mad modded ones, or is my standard WRX wagon in jepardy too?

New_scooby_04 29 September 2005 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by DonnieDarko
all this car jacking ****- is it mostly mad modded ones, or is my standard WRX wagon in jepardy too?

ANYONE who owns a high performance car is at risk mate, not just the modded ones.

BUT keep things in perspective, these are relatively rare events and there are things you can do to protect yourself.

1) Use the std alarms autolock feature (locks all doors when ignition is turned on)

2) Consider investing in a Blackjax or similar anti hi-jack device.

3) Careful where you park the car.

4) Keep your eye on your rear view mirror? Could that car be tailing you? If unsure, go around the block (or even a large roundabout a couple of times) and see if they follow when there would be no other reason to be.

5) DO not pull over for anyone other than the police no matter what they say. If in doubt, drive calmly to the nearest police station or failing that to a well light area with CCTV (Petrol stations are ideal).

6) If you are unlucky enough to get caught unawares and can't get away, just toss em your keys, don't put up a fight- the car isn't worth it.

At the end of the day, you can either live in fear, not have anything nice and let these scumbags win (which is almost as sad as when you hear about these hi-jackings taking place) or you can stick two fingers up at them, enjoy what you've got and just be a bit more vigilant than you might have been in a 1.0l Fiesta!

Enjoy the car, don't let a minority of scum put you off!

NS04

Moley 29 September 2005 03:56 PM

The actual changes of anything like this happening to you are tiny.

As horrible as this sounds there is probably more of a chance of you being hurt in a crash than attacked by a car jacker!!!!!!

Andy Tang 29 September 2005 04:04 PM

TBH I was reading posts like that when I was about to sell my first Impreza.

I ended up replacing it with another Impreza.

I went down the cheap/stealth car route after selling my second Impreaza, but ended up in my third Impreza.

I'm in a Forester now, so none of these worries anymore! :)

Just depends how paranoid you want to be!

DonnieDarko 29 September 2005 04:06 PM

cheers guys, this kind of thing makes me sick.

i get mine tomorrow, sigma system 4 alarm on a maltese import+ tracker monitor

Danny B 29 September 2005 04:11 PM

You can't ruin your life by constantly worrying about what *may* happen, just enjoy the car and if it does happen, hand the keys over, afterall it's only metal.