ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Just picked up from TSL with lightened flywheel (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/460241-just-picked-up-from-tsl-with-lightened-flywheel.html)

G_Sleigh_STi 28 September 2005 06:02 PM

Just picked up from TSL with lightened flywheel

Well.. my word...

Thats a huge difference, talk about reving up quickly. I am loving that it just seems to hit you that bit harder. Very impressed with that modification.

The AP clutch.. i cant tell much different to a standard one in good condition at the moment to be honest, but the clutch they took out of mine. Their was not a lot left of it at all! OPS!. eaten right through material.

New_scooby_04 28 September 2005 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by G_Sleigh_STi
Well.. my word...

Thats a huge difference, talk about reving up quickly. I am loving that it just seems to hit you that bit harder. Very impressed with that modification.

The AP clutch.. i cant tell much different to a standard one in good condition at the moment to be honest, but the clutch they took out of mine. Their was not a lot left of it at all! OPS!. eaten right through material.

That's the beauty of the good uprated clutches: much tougher than std, but are as easy to operate!

Glad you like the new flywheel.

NS04

alcazar 28 September 2005 07:10 PM

Whats a decent clutch like that set you back, if you don't mind saying? And the flywheel? I assume you had them done at the same time?

Alcazar

andypugh2000 28 September 2005 08:23 PM

I had my AP clutch and flywheel done at TVM inc everything down to G/B oil change and VAT was 840 quid :norty:

Just wait a few weeks for the judder to come back with a vengeance :p

Luminous 28 September 2005 08:26 PM

What is it with scoobs and clutch judder. Never driven a car that has so much :(

I'd hope that a replacement clutch would solve the problem, long term! :)

andypugh2000 28 September 2005 08:28 PM

NO chance, mine has uprated judder to match the clutch, its so bad the cd skips!! :lol1:

Luminous 28 September 2005 08:44 PM

:eek: Thats just no good :eek:

So what causes all the judder then? I want to get mine fixed :(

andypugh2000 28 September 2005 08:47 PM

My new clutch was really great for the first 2 weeks then it was back to normal and then to even worse, I have given up now and just accept thats life, just give it some extra welly pulling away :cry: :cry:

RLE 28 September 2005 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by andypugh2000
My new clutch was really great for the first 2 weeks then it was back to normal and then to even worse, I have given up now and just accept thats life, just give it some extra welly pulling away :cry: :cry:

When I replaced my standard clutch to AP the judder went away completely (MYUK97) and I never had any more problems. Full 5k before I sold it. How much was the fly wheel GSS? I have the TSL remap on mine as well and was wondering about some upgrades.

ImprezaRob 29 September 2005 10:58 AM

How much was it for the new clutch? Including VAT and fitting? If you dont mind me asking?!

G_Sleigh_STi 29 September 2005 11:11 AM

Ermm.. I think the fly wheel was about £450.00 but dont hold me to that as i dont have the bill in front of me..

The total was about £1350.00 including:

1. Fly wheel supplied + fitted
2. AP racing clutch supplied + fitted
3. Half a tank of oil
4. Manifold heat shield crack welded back up that was causing vibrations through my steering wheel. (That was driving me nutts)

New_scooby_04 29 September 2005 12:59 PM

Right, instructions to anyone who wants to banish judder without breaking the bank!!

Contact David at APi and ask him if you can start another group buy on the Exedy uprated organic clutch (£250+ vat). Go to somewhere like Xtreme/Scoobyclinic who charge good labour rates for the install (it's about a 4 hour job)! Make sure you get your flywheel skinmmed as if it's got hotspots etc, the car will judder again.

Result: The judder is gone....and not for a couple of weeks, I mean gone, period!

All in, cost me about £550!

Mine has been on about 2 months now, and I've not had even the slightest hint of judder, even when the car has been stone cold! It's also a very nice clutch to use, very similar to the OEM one in weight, but much stronger!

NS04

APIDavid 29 September 2005 01:45 PM

Judder is not a word that we ever hear at APi after we've fitted or sold an Exedy organic.

The secret is in the flywheel; our, either skimmed or lightened ones are perfect for shape and that fixes it.

I'd be out of business if, after the number of Exedy's and so on we've sold, didn't behave.

There is no secret to curing clutch judder on a Subaru - you just have to do the job right.

If it still judders after a clutch job, you've been mislead somewhere.

Exedy organic performance clutch inc release bearing: £320.00 or £250.00 if a group buy of 5 or more.

Lightened flywheel £150.00 or £120.00 on the GB for 5 or more.

Fitting £200.00 All above plus VAT.

Bargain eh! queue forms just after here.

Good Luck David APi Impreza / APi Engines
www.apiengines.com

stu_5 29 September 2005 03:47 PM

I agree, the secrets in having a decent flywheel and clutch done at the same time with regard to curing it- no point not replacing the flywheel whatever the mechanic says about how it looks,- or getting it a poor quality skim as it'll just return if it was juddering before and not done right.

I had installed both items (Exedy clutch and lightened flywheel) several months ago in mine (but fitted locally for not much more) and still no sign of the judder returning yet...

ex-webby 29 September 2005 04:07 PM

Is this only pre newage as my Spec C has just completed 20k... original clutch without any hint of judder?

Regards,
Shaun.

ben1413 29 September 2005 04:59 PM

I had an uprated STI clutch fitted along with an STi 230mm Exedy clutch from Graham Goode Racing all in cost me £700 and I'm 6 months now without a hint of judder! I think it is starting to slip again though!!

Ben