ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Best Supermini? (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/459791-best-supermini.html)

RAJ27 26 September 2005 10:35 PM

Best Supermini?

The Missus is looking to do around 6-8k miles a year. Wants 5 door and possibly electric mirrors, air-con etc.

One of the first choices would be the new Polo, but very crap basic spec.

Only other car I can think of which is well equiped is the Hyundai Getz.

All the Jap cars are very expensives and even the Seat Ibiza is expensive.

Any advice? - Budgest is 8k or less.

twybrow 26 September 2005 11:04 PM

MY opinion, but 2nd hand, and let others pay the initial depreciation. You get a much better car for your money. If it needs to be new, and just a cheap run-around/shopping kart then how about a Matiz? Very cheap to buy, run, insure etc.

Scooby-Doo 26 September 2005 11:22 PM

Test drove a Mitsubishi colt. Very nice little car and the rear seats slide forward and back depending on leg room or boot requirements. Should get a nice year old 1.5D for 8k or less

dtriggs 27 September 2005 11:32 AM

If you like the Polo and want more spec for less money, get it's sister car the Skoda Fabia. I have the vRS which is great but a well specced 1.4 may be perfect - loads around.

RAJ27 27 September 2005 08:04 PM

I would say yes to the Skoda, but try convincing the Missus that I "got her a Skoda". I don't want to wreck my marriage, well not yet.

Nice car I have to agree but women will always think it's a Skoda.

DavidChief 27 September 2005 08:07 PM

I've been running about in a Fiesta for a couple of weeks. It's a bit tinny and the interior is awful but it's quite an endearing little car. I've quite enjoyed my time with it.

The facelift model is coming out in a few weeks so I bet you could get a mega discount on a top spec Ghia current model. Just an idea.

mattvortex 27 September 2005 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RAJ27
I would say yes to the Skoda, but try convincing the Missus that I "got her a Skoda". I don't want to wreck my marriage, well not yet.

Its surprising how much of the population still think Skodas are a load of rubbish-particularly women! My ex girlfriend used to drive a Peugeot 206 which was always falling apart so, when she wanted to change to a better quality car and i suggested a Fabia, she just couldnt accept that its a better quality car than the peugeot and wouldnt go for a test drive! I know the Fabia is a cracking car, particularly the vrs but unfortunately most people will see you in it and think your down on your luck/poor/have no taste. There loss!

olliecampbell 27 September 2005 10:10 PM

Skoda fabia vrs? :)

matchmaker 27 September 2005 11:12 PM

Not all women - SWMBO loves my Octavia vRS (she's buying a sports cat and new exhaust for my Christmas), and wants a Fabia vRS for herself :eek::eek:

RAJ27 28 September 2005 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by matchmaker
Not all women - SWMBO loves my Octavia vRS (she's buying a sports cat and new exhaust for my Christmas), and wants a Fabia vRS for herself :eek::eek:

Do you want to swap and I don't mean the car :)

monty baber 28 September 2005 09:13 PM

Yaris?

Around 8.5k online

matchmaker 28 September 2005 09:31 PM

Do you want to swap and I don't mean the car :)

No. Would you? :)

Vegescoob 29 September 2005 12:15 AM

Just get her to try a Skoda.
Careful with Yaris, I think it's not long before a new one is out. So if you're interested push for a really good deal.

SupaMiniCupa 29 September 2005 11:04 AM

How about a Suzuki Swift?

Or the Toyota Aego? (or Citroen/Pug equivalents?)

:)

lozgti 04 October 2005 02:51 PM

Had to drag my wife to the skoda dealer.Typical 'I love clios/pug 206 'type girl.

Can't get her out of her fabia vRS now.She loves it

Andy M3 04 October 2005 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by SupaMiniCupa
How about a Suzuki Swift?

Or the Toyota Aego? (or Citroen/Pug equivalents?)

:)

The only 2 cars i would consider as super mini's. The fabia is the next size up and TBH i wouldn't have a fabia that wasn't a vRS which is £12k ?

Butkus 04 October 2005 03:15 PM

I have a 2004 Polo Tdi that I run around in. I have had it from new and it's been excellent so far. I do around 15,000 miles a year in it. It's the 'Twist' model which is virtually bottom of the range I think (or just a couple up, I'm not sure), and it has electric windows, air conditiong, electric mirrors, CD player etc. I get between 55 and 60mpg from it, and it was £9,500.

I didn't really try anything else, so maybe there are better cars, but nothing else took my fancy. Apparently the Skoda is better value and virtually the same car, so you might try one of those. But I didn't want five doors, and I think the non-VRS models look a bit dull.