ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Shock News from Rally GB!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/457682-shock-news-from-rally-gb.html)

Big Den 18 September 2005 11:53 AM

Shock News from Rally GB!!!

Eurosport News on-line is reporting that the Rally GB has been stopped due to the tragic death of Michael Park in an accident on SS15!!!

Tasberley 18 September 2005 11:55 AM

fecking ell.. anymore news on this??

Wish 18 September 2005 11:57 AM

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=457675

Yer, fraid so

C2forWRX 18 September 2005 11:59 AM

yea markko martins co-drivers died. remaining 2 stages have been canceld.

thats awful. martin un-hurt.

thoughts go out as im sure everyone elses do on here...

RoRu 18 September 2005 12:01 PM

A very sad day for the WRC.

MAFFA 18 September 2005 12:05 PM

Feckin ell! :eek:

I'll second that....a very sad day for the WRC :(

Listy 18 September 2005 12:07 PM

F*ck that's horrific.

Big Den 18 September 2005 12:58 PM

Latest update on the Eurosport News page:

13:05 CET ORGANISER STATEMENT: On the advice on the FIA Safety Delegate special stages 16 and 17, Rosolfen 2 and Margam 2 will not be run. Competitors will return to the finish in Cardiff scheduled for 14:00. There will be no champagne celebrations at the finish and the post-event FIA press conference has been cancelled."

12:30 CET ORGANISERS STATEMENT: "It is with deep regret that the organisers of Wales Rally GB confirm that Michael Park was fatally injured following an accident in special stage 15. The next of kin has been informed. The driver of car number eight, Markko Martin, is uninjured."

Understandable decisions IMO. A sad day for the WRC and condolences to Michael's family, Markko Martin, the Peugeot team, etc.

Den

GC8 18 September 2005 01:04 PM

I assume that the Peugeot team will withdraw from the 2005 WRC now?

wide 18 September 2005 01:08 PM

Totally devastating news. A very sad day

Big Den 18 September 2005 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
I assume that the Peugeot team will withdraw from the 2005 WRC now?

Don't know but why should they unless it was a clear fault with the car that caused the accident?

Would you also suggest that Markko Martin should never drive again?

Bad as the death of Michael Park is - accidents happen in sport as they do in normal life - "motorsport is dangerous" and these guys know the risks.

GC8 18 September 2005 01:12 PM

We will see; its common practice for a team to withdraw when a member has been killed though. Im surprised that you feel that they should continue.

Simon

Big Den 18 September 2005 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
We will see; its common practice for a team to withdraw when a member has been killed though. Im surprised that you feel that they should continue.

Simon

GC8

You could well be correct m8

Latest bulletin:
14:22 CET JEAN-PIERRE NICHOLAS (PEUGEOT BOSS): "It is a drama for the team and for the rally world and, of course, for Michael's family. Martin went off the road and hit a tree on Michael's side, killing him instantly. It is hugely unfortunate, it is unfortunately part of the sport, there is always a risk, which is always high, but by passion you completely forget the risk. It is terrible, terrible for the guy who we loved in the team, terrible for his family. We will now consider the remainder of the season. The championship is nothing compared to this."

Phil 18 September 2005 01:33 PM

Come on guys, a little respect please

This is a tragic event no place for a debate on this thread IMHO

GC8 18 September 2005 01:37 PM

It was an observation Phil. Its a tragedy and I fully expect that the team will withdraw from the season.

Simon

Stringpants 18 September 2005 01:49 PM

Very sad news...

I have just returned from three days on the WRC Rally GB...very entertaining and it was a great week end until this.

Condolances to Michaels family and friends, very sad,tragic loss to Motor Sport.

I cannot believe it really, I know its dangerous but you think they have all the bases covered.

A tragic end to a great spectacle.

Stringpants.

Listy 18 September 2005 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
Come on guys, a little respect please

This is a tragic event no place for a debate on this thread IMHO

I'll second that Phil.

Well said mate

Big Den 18 September 2005 02:05 PM

Phil & Listy

There is no shortage of respect on my part nor I feel on GC8's. We were not entering into a debate by any means. As GC8 said "an observation" to which I replied given that whenm Ayrton Senna was killed the Williams team did not withdraw from the rest of the season.

Anyway my last bulletin from Eurosport was more of an update in general as it seems to be the first formal communication from the Peugeot team on the tragedy.

There will no doubt be a time & place for a debate on the ethics of what teams should do in the light of events such as these - as you correctly state this is neither the time nor the appropriate thread for that.

Den

Phil 18 September 2005 02:06 PM

;)

JGRIFF 18 September 2005 02:08 PM

COMMUNIQUE Peugeot Sport

A serious accident has left the Peugeot Sport team in mourning this Sunday morning during the last leg of the Wales Rally GB.

Markko Martin left the route shortly after the start of the second stage of the day and hit a tree on the right hand side of the car, mortally wounding his co-driver Michael Park.

Peugeot Sport's Director, Jean-Pierre Nicolas, with the agreement of Mr. Frederic Saint-Geours, Managing Director of Peugeot, has decided, as a sign of mourning, to withdraw the car of Marcus Gronholm – Timo Rautiainen.

Peugeot Automobiles and Peugeot Sport would like to express their feeling of extreme sadness and deep emotion to the family of Michael Park, known affectionately as Beef.

baddermans 18 September 2005 02:45 PM

R.I.P.