ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   advice on summons - attend court or not? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/457317-advice-on-summons-attend-court-or-not.html)

Roojai 16 September 2005 02:12 PM

advice on summons - attend court or not?

I got my dreaded summons through the post today. I was caught speeding in June doing 51 in a 30.

My question is, to get the most reduced fine and points am I better off just filling in the details and doing the whole thing by post, or should I turn up in person.

The postal option involves writing down mitigation circumstances which are read out in court.

Obviously in person I can say what the circumstances are.

I don't want to appear not to be taking it seriously (not showing up) and I don't want to be seen to be wasting time (and trying too hard).

I am 35, smart and well spoken if that makes any difference in deciding on a court appearance or not.

The mitigating circumstances/statment would be along the lines of:
"Although I normally take great care to keep within the speed limit, I did not fully consider the speed limit on this occasion due to the nature of the straight and empty road, far away from any houses or people, and close to high speed limits on the motorway I had just arrived from. Very sorry etc etc)

So should I go, or just post it?

Jap2Scrap 16 September 2005 02:16 PM

Unlikely to make a blind bit of difference. It's not like you're looking at a ban. I'd estimate 5 points and £100 fine.

(5 pts and £70 fine in 2001 for 52 in a 30)

Roojai 16 September 2005 02:18 PM

The reason I'm worried is that I have 6 points already. 5 more would be ok, but not 6!!!

Jap2Scrap 16 September 2005 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roojai
The reason I'm worried is that I have 6 points already. 5 more would be ok, but not 6!!!

Oops, slightly different then.. If it helps I didn't plead any mitigating circumstances. In fact I probably did my utmost to p!ss off the copper as he was a tw4t to my girlfriend, so I'm sure I got it as hard as I was going to.

Good luck.

RichS 16 September 2005 02:24 PM

I had the same thing a couple of years ago for 98.8 on the motorway. (Yes, I was very bad and they should have thrown away the key etc...)

Anyway, as the offense was committed (and therefore the court to appear in) was about 400 miles from where I live, I chose to plead guity in writing.
Natuarally I included details of the circumstances and an apology for whatever difference that would make (and I expected it would make no difference, but you have to try).

The magistrate must have been in an exceptional mood that day and I consider myself very lucky to later receive a £60 fine and a 3 point endorsement...

RichS 16 September 2005 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Roojai

Might be worth attending if that's the case. Sorry to hear it....

+Doc+ 16 September 2005 03:45 PM

I admitted the offence by post 56 in a 40 and gave the same excuse Alex Ferguson gave for speeding earlier that week, I got 3 points, he got let off :(

Chrisgr31 16 September 2005 03:49 PM

Hmmm 51mph in a 30 limit. I would definitely turn up as I suspect you will be fighting for your licence!

scarey 16 September 2005 04:00 PM

if they are going to ban you you have to be at court.

if you are not there and they are planning a ban the case will be ajourned and you'll be sent a new date

cookstar 16 September 2005 04:02 PM

How long do summoms usually take to turn up after the verbal nip is given?

Guess what im waiting for one :mad:

bioforger 16 September 2005 04:26 PM

51 in a 30, y shouldnt that be just the normal 3points + £60 fine? Doesn't it have to be more than 30mph over the limit to qualify for a heaftier fine and more than 3 points?

Roojai 16 September 2005 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by cookstar
How long do summoms usually take to turn up after the verbal nip is given?

Guess what im waiting for one :mad:

They can take up to 6 months. In my case it was 2.5 months.

midget1500 16 September 2005 05:31 PM

mate got 3pts and 60 fine a few months ago for 51 in 30

he just sent it in by post

EBRWRX 16 September 2005 05:42 PM

Yep, would definitely attend court. The fact that you have a summons suggests to me that they are looking for reasons why they should not ban you. Time for the tail between the legs yes sir no sir approach recognising the error of your ways but pleading for one last chance.

Roojai 16 September 2005 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by EBRWRX
Yep, would definitely attend court. The fact that you have a summons suggests to me that they are looking for reasons why they should not ban you. Time for the tail between the legs yes sir no sir approach recognising the error of your ways but pleading for one last chance.

They gave me a summons as they cannot give fixed penalty tickets for a certain percentage over the speed limit.

But I agree, definately tail between legs time