ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Speedbump Overkill (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/457037-speedbump-overkill.html)

paul-s 15 September 2005 01:43 PM

Speedbump Overkill

round here its gone stupid now, there started off with bumps on a large straight road in a 30 limit because everyone hacked but now nearly everyroad that has a 30 limit has em everywhere, in places that aint neccessary, and theyre massive big fcuk off ones that have snow on top :mad:
takes forever to get anywhere at an average 10mph :mad: the 5 roads out of my road have them and theres more planned till eventually every road ever has them :cry:

scunnered 15 September 2005 01:59 PM

Make a complaint to the council. Tell them you believe it would increase the response time from the emergency services. Seriously, it could put lives in danger!

BlackadderII 16 September 2005 01:44 AM

Paul

There are ones near me that any car with a body kit on just wouldnt be able to access certain estates. Then a few weeks ago near a local school the road was dug up. The council levelled the existing humps and replaced them with electronic humps a bit like what you see in a car park. They rise when the kids are at school and then sink into the ground when its "off peak". I personally support that idea rather than councils dictating to road fund licence users on what cars they can drive depending on where they live ;)

fatherpierre 16 September 2005 02:11 AM

Try driving in Islington. Virtually every road has those sump banging bumps that fook your car up.

And they wonder why people drive about in those ugly 4x4s????????

suprabeast 16 September 2005 08:12 AM

what also makes it worse is that none of them are the same height! So you find a comfortable speed to flow over them then BANG the next one is bigger than the last!

Freak 16 September 2005 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by fatherpierre
Try driving in Islington. Virtually every road has those sump banging bumps that fook your car up.

:lol1:
I lost a few front splitters when i lived round there ( angel)... they are stupid humps.
My front bumper at the time was about 1" from the ground.....but still!

ajm 16 September 2005 10:31 AM

The truth about so called 'speed' bumps:

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm

:mad:

Luminous 16 September 2005 10:58 AM

I like the idea of sounding your horn each and every time you go over a speed bump. Piss off the people that got them put there in the first place ;)

farmer1 16 September 2005 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Luminous
I like the idea of sounding your horn each and evert time you go over a speed bump. Piss off the people that got them put there in the first place ;)

Class idea!

ajm 16 September 2005 11:13 AM

I sometimes do it when passing selfishly parked cars if I know they belong to residents! There is a narrow road on the way to work where people insist on parking right outside their house blocking half the road when there is plenty of parking 20 yards away in a side road. Every morning there is queues of traffic waiting to get past the same cars... so now if I recognise the car they get treated to a blast of the horn and an accelerating scooby at 07:30! :D

ALi-B 16 September 2005 11:29 AM

There is a knack with speed bumps and certain cars.

Believe or not, depending on the speedbump, if you travel faster over the bump you feel it less - especially on heavy or stiffer sprung cars, the higher speed displaces the wheel and suspension more...rather than displacing the car and the driver.

Most people travel over them too slowly. There's a set by me, which a Jag will be happy at going over the from 30-40mph moreso than 10-15mph (yes I was speeding...take away my license then :p ). The impreza on the same bumps was more happy at 25-30mph thant it was at 10-15mph. My mums old Celica, could take them at pretty much any speed you liked, as did my Nissan Sunny.

Ok you may wear out your suspension....but thats an excuse to ditch the naturally aging suspension and get some nice fresh shockers and bushes (which both degrade naturally over time anyway ) :)

Luminous 16 September 2005 11:36 AM

Nice advice....but you have forgetten the part about the horn :)

ALi-B 16 September 2005 11:37 AM

2nd knack with speed bumps is almost everyone brakes or lifts off when going over...WRONG..this shifts your weight up to the front, making the front end squat..loosing your front suspension's progression and overall travel making it bottom out.

Do not brake before or during the speed bump, and don't lift off at the last moment or floor it comming off...ideally dip the clutch and coast over it, or use 3rd or 4th gear (creates less backlash in the gearbox - again unsettling you and the car :) )

3rd get some dixie air horns and blow them at every bump ;):D (specially for Lum)

unclebuck 16 September 2005 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by ajm
The truth about so called 'speed' bumps:

http://www.abd.org.uk/speed_humps.htm

:mad:

They also cost lives, as emergency vehicles such as fire engines and ambulances have to slow to a crawl to negotiate these pointless obstructions.:mad:

liedetector 11 December 2005 09:40 PM

Road humps reduce fatal and serious injury collisions by up to 70 per cent. If everyone always drove cautiously and considerately there would be no need for them. But not everyone does of course, so blame the speedfreaks, which I dare say in many cases is you.

RON 11 December 2005 09:57 PM

I used to work right next to a speed hump in a small village in Dorset, i used to watch in amazement when the Curry's and Dixon's lorries went over them at such a rate that you could hear all the boxes in the lorry land on the floor when the rear wheels came back to earth.......

suprabeast 12 December 2005 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by liedetector
Road humps reduce fatal and serious injury collisions by up to 70 per cent. If everyone always drove cautiously and considerately there would be no need for them. But not everyone does of course, so blame the speedfreaks, which I dare say in many cases is you.

Road humps slow down emergency vehicles by 90%, does that make them so great??

OllyK 12 December 2005 09:14 AM

Would you like to provide the figures for say a dozen or so speed humps, showing the number of accidents before and after.

OllyK 12 December 2005 09:20 AM

http://www.alanduncan.org.uk/pp/pres...il.asp?id=3434

liedetector 12 December 2005 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by suprabeast
Road humps slow down emergency vehicles by 90%, does that make them so great??

You have evidence to support your claim? No, because it's complete rubbish.

JTaylor 12 December 2005 08:47 PM

latest pseudynem of the troll formerly known as TruthHearts etc etc :confused:

liedetector 12 December 2005 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by OllyK
Would you like to provide the figures for say a dozen or so speed humps, showing the number of accidents before and after.

Hope the following will suffice:
In Hull the total number of crashes in 20 mph zones - the vast majority of which have road humps installed - has fallen by 56 per cent and the number of crashes resulting in deaths or serious injuries has been cut by 90 per cent.

liedetector 12 December 2005 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by JTaylor
latest pseudynem of the troll formerly known as TruthHearts etc etc :confused:

:sleep:

Poor Guy 12 December 2005 11:12 PM

i always sound my airhorns when going over speed humps, occassionally leave trails of smoke too. really pisses my off when my shiny stainless back boxes get scratched to hell and dinted.