ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   boost problems (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/456944-boost-problems.html)

-AL- 15 September 2005 12:05 AM

boost problems

sometimes when i put my foot down it only runs half boosr, does it for a while then sorts itself. also howw do i get rid of a flat spot as it feels like its holdin back sometimes then u feel it pull again. in ideas??

-AL- 15 September 2005 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by -AL-
sometimes when i put my foot down it only runs half boosr, does it for a while then sorts itself. also howw do i get rid of a flat spot as it feels like its holdin back sometimes then u feel it pull again. in ideas??

oh yer its a 93 import wrx

hostagewrx 15 September 2005 12:21 AM

My wrx MY95 runs only at 0.5 bar on full throttle and i believe it should run much higher, not too sure what the problem is with it!!! I have an EVC and with that set at 0.75 bar it boosts to that level!!! any ideas???

jaytc2003 15 September 2005 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by -AL-

First thing first, I personally would check your ignition system ie plugs and coil packs. How old are they? are they gapped correctly? I had this exact same problem when I first got mine, sometimes it would be fine, other times it would sort of hold back. If you have a standard ecu and no manual boost controller then you ecu if it detects any problems it will hold you back.
You will probably get a response saying your maf is on the way (seems to be a common answer), it could well be, but check your plugs first. As it is an MY93 I assume you are running coil packs as well. Due to the age of the car these could very well be on the way out.
No easy way to test the coil packs, but you could reduce the gap on your plugs and see if this helps (ultimately you wont have as much power) What this will do is if your coil packs are on the way out is it will help them to get the spark across the gap on the plug, (less distance to travel).

-AL- 16 September 2005 12:29 AM

thanx, car is bein serviced next week as goin to donnington this weekend, wots MAF? yes i dont know much bout scoobies yet, thanx.
oh yer car has groupe n exhaust an hks dump valve, but had problems b4 thewy were fitted, standered scu an boost, 0.8 bar

jaytc2003 16 September 2005 08:16 AM

MAF is mass air flow meter. they are fragile on some cars particulary the my99 models. It basically monitors the air flow through you airfilter//induction kit and adjust fuelling accordingly, if this is faulty then it can give wrong info to the ecu which then fuels the car incorrectly which can result in serious problems.!

-AL- 18 September 2005 12:03 PM

thats wot i thought but wasnt sure, i will know after the service then

robertgraham 03 January 2006 11:11 PM

anyone know how this was solved?

jaytc2003 04 January 2006 07:59 AM

As the car was being serviced I would imagine the plugs got changed, seems the most likely outcome.