ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Power Steering Pump (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/455582-power-steering-pump.html)

Rally 08 September 2005 10:00 PM

Power Steering Pump

Has anyone had one go, mine is pi55ing fluid everywhere, its dropping onto headers and burning off. I know this stuff can go up so now a little worried to say least about driving.

Has anyone removed the power steering, how did it drive?

I need to drive the car every day so thought that removing the drive belt and the pump would stop any further leakage and fire risk. I can then get the pump serviced / exchanged and refit without loosing useage of car....

Cheers

Jolly Green Monster 08 September 2005 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rally
Has anyone had one go, mine is pi55ing fluid everywhere, its dropping onto headers and burning off. I know this stuff can go up so now a little worried to say least about driving.

Has anyone removed the power steering, how did it drive?

I need to drive the car every day so thought that removing the drive belt and the pump would stop any further leakage and fire risk. I can then get the pump serviced / exchanged and refit without loosing useage of car....

Cheers

sounds most likely the oring between resivoir and pump.. few pence from dealer and easy change..

Simon

wrx_ra 08 September 2005 10:28 PM

mines was leaking between tank and pump body, got new o ring from dealers for 79p, about an hours work to sort.

Rally 08 September 2005 10:35 PM

Thanks JGM and WRX_RA, will look for the section joining the res to pump and source an O-ring, or whatever part is needed.

Jolly Green Monster 08 September 2005 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Rally
Thanks JGM and WRX_RA, will look for the section joining the res to pump and source an O-ring, or whatever part is needed.

what year?

on < 97 there is three bolts around resi.. undo and it lifts off.. Oring is on the nozzle that goes into the pump..

On > 97 you need to undo the bolts holding the top of the resi on and then undo two bolts in the bottom of the resi.. oring on nozzle again..

There is a seal on the spindle but they rarely go... you can tell if oil is higher than spindle or not etc...

Simon

Rally 08 September 2005 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster
what year?

on < 97 there is three bolts around resi.. undo and it lifts off.. Oring is on the nozzle that goes into the pump..

On > 97 you need to undo the bolts holding the top of the resi on and then undo two bolts in the bottom of the resi.. oring on nozzle again..

There is a seal on the spindle but they rarely go... you can tell if oil is higher than spindle or not etc...

Simon

Its a 95 WRX Simon,
I will unbolt the resi tomorrow morning and try to source O-ring during day.
Will have to drop the belt off to drive to get any parts I cant source tomorrow, but an O-ring is easy to source from a motor factors.
Thanks again.