ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   De-cat exhuast (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/454940-de-cat-exhuast.html)

legb4rsk 06 September 2005 12:17 PM

De-cat exhuast

anybody have any issues with this quest for more horsepower despite the legal,moral,environmental issues.

I believe it's the wrong to do this for a power gain that can only be used for very short periods of time on the road whilst polluting the atmosphere 100% of the time.

In real world driving I rarely get to utilise the full power of my standard Legacy B4 whilst driving.

Before you lable me a boring b*satrd ,I am all for anybody
making their car as powerful as they see fit but not to the extent of contibuting to damaging the environment.

Don't get me started on how loud some of these exhaust systems sound!

This is just to start a discussion & I believe the future of the
freedom to drive what ever car we like is very important but lets do it it in a responsible manner before they make us all drive electric golf carts.

bioforger 06 September 2005 12:24 PM

You boring b*stard, go n cuddle a tree or something :rolleyes: :D

You're polluting the atmosphere in your B4 anyway, its a car afterall. Decatting isn't really going to make much difference in the overall scheme of things now is it.

The way I see it is to make the best of what you have, while you can. The government will have us all driving @30mph everywhere in leccy cars before the end of the decade anyway, or force us through ridiculous fuel prices to stop driving. It's inevitable :)

VWscooby 06 September 2005 01:30 PM

Big girls blouse!!!:p

Seriously though, my car seems to be using LESS fuel with the de-cat so I would imagine this would be offsetting the increase in emissions caused by removing the cat?

As far as noise goes yes my car is excessive but compared to most of the beaten up farm machinery that runs around my local roads its fairly quiet! And compared to a lot of diesel vans and most motorbikes I don't think its contributing any more to noise and air pollution.

There are very few people who modify relative to the number of car drivers on the road and those that do tend to run their modified cars less than someone with a 'runabout' so are contributing less in that way also.

As far as a moral and legal veiw goes, if you do these things NEVER moan if you get caught. You took the risk own up to it!! I know I will :)

New_scooby_04 07 September 2005 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
anybody have any issues with this quest for more horsepower despite the legal,moral,environmental issues.

I believe it's the wrong to do this for a power gain that can only be used for very short periods of time on the road whilst polluting the atmosphere 100% of the time.

In real world driving I rarely get to utilise the full power of my standard Legacy B4 whilst driving.

Before you lable me a boring b*satrd ,I am all for anybody
making their car as powerful as they see fit but not to the extent of contibuting to damaging the environment.

Don't get me started on how loud some of these exhaust systems sound!

You can always go for sports cats and get the power whilst still protecting the environment. I'll have to apply to GreenPeace for a grant to be able to afford them though! :)

I've yet to hear a Scooby I've thought was too loud :norty: I think generally they're fine as long as you show due consideration for your neighbours!

NS04

dj219957 07 September 2005 01:56 PM

As i understand catalytic converters turn carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide and carbon dioxide is now thought to be causing the global warming effect? So they are not all good are they.

Andy

Tidgy 07 September 2005 01:58 PM

you drive a subaru legacy b4 and your worried about car poluting the environment.

rafpmsl

still rafpmsl

pot calling kettle black springs to mind.

if you were that bothered you'd go buy a 1.0 micra!!!!

specialx 07 September 2005 02:03 PM

:)

AJbaseBloke 07 September 2005 04:00 PM

OK - one for the tree hug crowd here then. ;)

I added a hi-end cat to mine (replacing the centre) and was happy to see emissions drop a lot (a REAL lot!), and fuel economy go up after the various mods I've done.

New_scooby_04 08 September 2005 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by AJbaseBloke
OK - one for the tree hug crowd here then. ;)

I added a hi-end cat to mine (replacing the centre) and was happy to see emissions drop a lot (a REAL lot!), and fuel economy go up after the various mods I've done.

I'd just like to add that I'm leaving the cats in my exhaust......despite the protests from the RSPCA.... ;)

It's for the greater good! ;)

Can anyone smell Chinese!?!?! :norty:

NS04

DIPSY 11 September 2005 07:14 PM

Stick the full decat on