ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   At What Point Will You Stop Buying Petrol? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/454611-at-what-point-will-you-stop-buying-petrol.html)

pslewis 04 September 2005 10:33 PM

At What Point Will You Stop Buying Petrol?

Personally, I don't think we are even close to the point at which we all stop buying.

But what price will you have to stop or at what price will you stop?

I will pay anything I guess? ............ the roads will be totally empty by the time I am driven off them due to cost!

Pete

imlach 04 September 2005 10:37 PM

Given many seem to put their cars before everything else, and even with these high prices, don't want to reduce their consumption, I reckon £5/litre before many would consider using less :D :D :D

BBC news website last week had quotes from Americans about high fuel prices. Many were eating less just so they could afford fuel. Nutters.

Quite sad in some respects the lengths people will go to just to get in their cars.

bengsi 04 September 2005 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by imlach
BBC news website last week had quotes from Americans about high fuel prices. Many were eating less just so they could afford fuel. Nutters.

Quite sad in some respects the lengths people will go to just to get in their cars.

I've just got back from Florida n theres a few out there who could do with eating less!

dpb 04 September 2005 10:54 PM

when i get my diesel car......obviously.

astraoid 04 September 2005 11:11 PM

At what point does it become cheaper to make your own out of milk?

slagmagnet69 04 September 2005 11:27 PM

£1.50 and i am outta here. :mad:

black scoobs 04 September 2005 11:36 PM

ill pay what ever only enjoyment i get these days :norty:

SCD Simon 05 September 2005 12:13 AM

Just got back from Majorca, those poor sods have to pay
1 euro for a litre !

tath 05 September 2005 12:33 AM

I'm pretty close to stopping - the car only gets used a couple of times at the weekend. £20 barely gets me an hours spirited driving :eek2: certainly more expensive than sitting in the pub for an hour.

DevilHimSelf 05 September 2005 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by SCD Simon
Just got back from Majorca, those poor sods have to pay
1 euro for a litre !

Yes but thats 68 pence sterling!

So we are getting it a lot cheaper, at current prices in the UK ure paying close to €2 a ltr,

whos a poor sod now :)

Nich B 05 September 2005 08:25 AM

Already have, just use the wifes car :) Seriously, I now walk if I can.

pabs 05 September 2005 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Personally, I don't think we are even close to the point at which we all stop buying.

But what price will you have to stop or at what price will you stop?

I will pay anything I guess? ............ the roads will be totally empty by the time I am driven off them due to cost!

Pete

I will never stop driving all together - but as the price goes up I will drive less and less...I guess that's the effect the government wants

Dream Weaver 05 September 2005 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by imlach
Given many seem to put their cars before everything else, and even with these high prices, don't want to reduce their consumption, I reckon £5/litre before many would consider using less :D :D :D

The problem is in the current age of health and safety, PC'ness etc performance cars are about the only enjoyment you can get on your own these days.

Everything else is slowly being outlawed.

pslewis 05 September 2005 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
The problem is in the current age of health and safety, PC'ness etc performance cars are about the only enjoyment you can get on your own these days.

Everything else is slowly being outlawed.

W4nking has been made illegal???????????? :eek: :eek:

When the foooook did that happen, I must have been temp blind at that point!! :D ;)

Pete

Tall Paul 05 September 2005 08:54 AM

Scooby will go if the price hits £1.20+ I will have to really look at where I live and where I work if the price goes to £1.80 a litre as I paid that for a gallon back when I first started driving!!!

New_scooby_04 05 September 2005 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by pabs
I will never stop driving all together - but as the price goes up I will drive less and less...I guess that's the effect the government wants

Not really, don't be misled by the environmental angle, they want you to drive as much AND pay more cause of the whopping great tax on petrol. Its an uncomfortable situation cause it will reach a point where people just can't afford to put petrol in their car and ideally they want to stay just below that point.

A similar quandry exists with cigarettes, as smoking relating illnesses put a big strain on the NHS, BUT the more people who smoke, the more revenue they get from the large duty placed on that.

It's easy to be hip, in theory!

PMSL at Pete, you really shouldn't be driving a performance car if that activity may have impaired your eyesight! :norty: :)

Tath, what pub do you drink in? £20 for an hour seems very reasonable when you're from London!! :)

dmc1980 05 September 2005 09:47 AM

Its hard to know what you will do, but one thing is for sure, if it keeps going up it will just not be affordable to drive anymore. Im already thinking about cycling to and from work although it is quite far.

chiark 05 September 2005 10:27 AM

Ah yes, we'll all go on and use the rail if petrol goes up...

...and the rail companies are putting prices up because they're overcrowded at peak times.

Some great joined up thinking going on here. It's not like we can blame the government for the public transport situation as, well, it isn't owned by the public any more is it?

MikeCardiff 05 September 2005 11:25 AM

Dont really care what price petrol is, dont need to use the car much so its mainly for pleasure driving if its too wet to take the bike.

One positive outcome will be if it makes people think about how much they use their cars when they dont need to though - how many people jump in the car to drive somewhere that would only take 5 - 10 minutes to walk ? how many people drive to work on their own, when they could easily car share with people from the same area ?

And if it gets more of the poor people and young chavs off the road in their crappy motors that get in our way, so much the better ;0)

wrighty69 05 September 2005 11:34 AM

Im thinking of getting a 125cc motorbike, fancied doing it for a while anyway, will use the car if the weathers too bad, and for weekends.

Less petrol and still lots of fun on a chicken chaser!

Dream Weaver 05 September 2005 12:03 PM

What happens to the economy though when it gets far too expensive to work anywhere more than 5 miles from your home, so all the city companies and employers, or those companies based out of town cant get any staff?

We certainly haven't got the public transport system in place to cope with mass car boycotting.

The mention of walking/car sharing above is a fair point, but the freedom to drive a car on your own is one of the last freedoms we have, and when I did work miles from home the people I worked with who lived near me I certainly wouldnt want to sit in a car with them for 45 minutes :D

Oh, and PMSL at Pete's reply above :D

Daves99 05 September 2005 12:15 PM

I'm not sure I think if its going to cost me more than £100 a tank to fill up I would have to look at other options. That said I need to get to work so stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Shell in Basingstoke was 101.9 for a ltr that was £52 to fill up so a fair bit to go.

Daves99:cry:

jowl 05 September 2005 01:22 PM

Unfortunatley, I need a car for work - I travell round carrying / delivering all sorts of computers and computer bits.

I don't use the scooby for that though. If petrol got too high, I guess I would investigate the Veggie Oil option for a diesal.

Ray_li 05 September 2005 01:26 PM

whats the highest we have had to pay in this country?

Daves99 05 September 2005 04:06 PM

My mate at work has just told me that there is a garage in Marlborough, which is asking 105.9 :eek2: for super unleaded thats got to be close.

wide 05 September 2005 04:29 PM

Will go back to a 1.0litre buzz box before I would completely stop. I like being able to go places when I like , at whatever time and go where I need. But if it gets much higher the scoob will go, its only a car at the end of the day. The other week when I was between cars, I had to use the wifes saxo, and after a day it didnt really bother me. I just got used to the fact I had to pottle about, it still did 80mph on the m-way, what more do I need and returns about 45mpg

MikeCardiff 05 September 2005 04:57 PM

Just off to Tescos to fill up in a few minutes - will make sure I make a big show of getting Super Unleaded ( the most expensive ), putting in as much as I possibly can, then paying with my gold card ( allowing the sunshine to glint off its surface so the other drivers can see it ).

andyfish 05 September 2005 06:09 PM

when there's none left at the petrol station.

Vegescoob 05 September 2005 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by andyfish
when there's none left at the petrol station.

Will that be because the Americans have bought up all the supplies?

mattvortex 05 September 2005 07:31 PM

I think petrol stations might soon notice an increase in people driving off without paying!