ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Mac Mini and Wireless??? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/454458-mac-mini-and-wireless.html)

MAC76 04 September 2005 10:29 AM

Mac Mini and Wireless???

Right i just bought one as a package deal, mac mini that is, but it does not have the wireless card.

Is the only way to get one of these connected to my solwise wireless router to buy one of the airport extreme cards and get it put in or is there some sort of usb thingy that i can plug in and get connected??

ScoobyDoo555 04 September 2005 11:42 AM

USB dongle should do it..... but the airport card isn't that much more than a dongle, and without any potential setup problems.

My network manager at work was intrigued when I bought a load of G5s with airport, and wanted to see what a nightmare it would be to setup up.

I larfed to myself at the (impressed) look of shock on his face when "plug and play" actually is implemented properly :D
Whole network (including wireless printing & internet) was up and running in about 10 mins (inlcuding time to power up the Macs :cool:

Airport rocks :)

Dan

SwissTony 04 September 2005 06:39 PM

you will find it hard to source a usb dongle thingy as you put it that works with your mac mini :D
Most of these usb adaptors are windows based and as such do not work with OSX. You may find some otherwise, but there is no substitute for the real thing Airport.
They are pretty cheap, but remember you have to factor in the install cost by your local apple centre as they are not items that can be added by users.

KiwiGTI 04 September 2005 06:49 PM

I've heard a DLink one works, but has been buggy.

Other alternative is to use a wireless bridge - just plug it into the ethernet port.

MAC76 04 September 2005 08:40 PM

i tried a d link wireless bridge today and it would not work :( , looks like i am going to have to have the airport extreme card fitted.

MAC76 05 September 2005 11:50 PM

has anyone got one of these connected up with a wireless bridge? Some people say it can be done some say not ??

RichB 06 September 2005 10:44 AM

I can not see why a bridge wouldn't work, my mums using one on her old beige g3...
If it has a ethernet socket (which it has) why wouldn't it work?

MAC76 06 September 2005 11:29 AM

I have no idea, it just point blank refused even tho all the lights on the bridge said it was connected??
What make is your mum's bridge?

RichB 06 September 2005 04:12 PM

Belkin, the range is very good. ;)

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=154416

Was about £50 from Comet I think. I shopped around a bit, not many places have the bridges. Tried PC world, Currys and a couple of other places.

Rich

RichB 06 September 2005 04:23 PM

Just a note aside, these 'gaming bridges' are a little wierd.

In order to connect my mum up I have to:
setup machines IP address to be 192.168.2.226 (as per the bridge manual)
connect to the bridge on 192.168.2.225
in the admin interface serach for devices and choose the wireless router.
(optionally make sure DHCP is on)
then go back to TCP/IP and change my TCP/IP to whatever IP address your bridge is set up to route or DHCP

Then it should work, it is slightly odd in the the router/gateway address is not actually the address of the bridge. I guess that's the whole point... lol

Blackscooby 09 September 2005 08:16 AM

On my old iMac G4 I used a DLINK 122 USB dongle, unfortunately it was only 'b' spec and not 'g', but it worked a treat.

MAC76 09 September 2005 08:25 AM

Thanks for everyones help. I paid the money and got 1 gig of memory and airport extreme/bluetooth installed yesterday :D
Brought it home, it did not work :( Down to PC world again, bought a belkin wireless router and now it works perfectly :)
So if anyone else is going to do this, the airport will not work no matter what you do with a solwise 715+ wireless router even with the updated software.
Mart ( wirefree with no nagging mrs because of the cable :))