ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Oil question ?? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/453891-oil-question.html)

rb5ban91r 01 September 2005 06:10 PM

Oil question ??

Hi can i have your recommendations for which oil i should be using on a my99 impreza turbo

told it should be synthetic ?

any one in particular ?

brand ?

oilman 01 September 2005 08:43 PM

Popular ones here are Silkolene PRO, Motul 300V, Mobil1, Castrol RS.

You can get them all here.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/lubricants.htm

Cheers
Simon

rb5ban91r 02 September 2005 01:34 PM

thanks very much mate :) just gotta get of honeymoon now :)

TonyFlow 02 September 2005 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by rb5ban91r
thanks very much mate :) just gotta get of honeymoon now :)

On your honeymoon and on S'Net - cheriiist, god knows what debauchery I would be up to..........

............Oh sorry - your'e now married - can see why your'e on S'net - nothing better to do! :D

Woodgate 02 September 2005 03:02 PM

married

Once upon a time, a guy asked a girl "Will you marry me?" The girl said, "NO!" And the guy lived happily ever after and went driving his scooby,fishing and hunting a lot and drank beer whenever he wanted.

Mobil1 for me.

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
On your honeymoon and on S'Net - cheriiist, god knows what debauchery I would be up to..........

............Oh sorry - your'e now married - can see why your'e on S'net - nothing better to do! :D

Juliano 02 September 2005 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by rb5ban91r
Hi can i have your recommendations for which oil i should be using on a my99 impreza turbo

told it should be synthetic ?

any one in particular ?

brand ?

Silkolene pro s 10w-50 of the oilman :)

DaveC1 02 September 2005 06:18 PM

Can I jump in and ask whats best for a 95 JDM STI V2 cheers

AVI-8 02 September 2005 06:39 PM

Subaru themselves recommend a semi synthetic, I use Valvoline fully synthetic, it's only a few quid more £25 for 5 litres, my cars got a PPP so my thinking is that the engine may produce a little bit more heat than a standard car so it's worth spending a couple of quid more.

You could spend double that amount and a lot of people do others say that it's overkill

Make sure you get the correct viscosity rating though 5 - 40 is about right

I've heard that 0 - 30 isn't though

DaveC1 02 September 2005 08:04 PM

How about 5-30

AVI-8 02 September 2005 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by DaveC1
How about 5-30

Well the lower number is how thick the oil is when its cold lower means the oil ir not as thick which is good

The higher number is how thick the oil is when its warm so 30 may not be thick as it should be.

I think thats right but no doubt someone with more knowledge on the subject could explain better.

Wheres the oilman he will tell you

DaveC1 02 September 2005 08:27 PM

cheers

remfanuk 02 September 2005 10:23 PM

why do subaru themselves recommend a semi when most of us put in full synthetic?

anyone know if there is any problem putting in two different viscosities of oil in the same engine? i am not 100% sure what is in mine other than the fact that it is a silkolene fully synthetic, poss the Pro S (though cant be sure), and have bought a litre of mobil 1 (10w-40) to use as a top up if it needs it until i get a full oil change done at which point i will use mobil 1 i think.

AVI-8 02 September 2005 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by remfanuk
why do subaru themselves recommend a semi when most of us put in full synthetic?

anyone know if there is any problem putting in two different viscosities of oil in the same engine? i am not 100% sure what is in mine other than the fact that it is a silkolene fully synthetic, poss the Pro S (though cant be sure), and have bought a litre of mobil 1 (10w-40) to use as a top up if it needs it until i get a full oil change done at which point i will use mobil 1 i think.

Most of us put in a fully synthetic oil because thats the best oil there is, there is less chance of a molecular breakdown of the oil during extreme temperatures, especially in the turbocharger after stopping when the turbo is hot (we all let the engine run for a couple of minutes after a hard run don't we)

s70rjw 02 September 2005 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by remfanuk

You should not mix different viscosities. That said any oil is better than low oil. Do you mean 0/40 Mobil 1?