ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   Where can I get my exhaust fitted? (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/453521-where-can-i-get-my-exhaust-fitted.html)

paulg1979 31 August 2005 02:15 PM

Where can I get my exhaust fitted?

Hi. I'm from bexley near dartford. I'm just about to buy a ninja back box for my 02 WRX and can't find anywhere to get it fitted. Anyone know anywhere that fits them in the Kent area? cheers.

pauld37 31 August 2005 02:47 PM

Fit it yourself mate, its only a couple of bolts, real easy :)

Iwan 31 August 2005 02:53 PM

Any exhaust place will fit it if you ask them, there's nothing special about a Subaru exhaust.

Alternatively you could do it yourself if you own some spanners. The back box is very easy to change, find a kerb which slopes down and drive two wheels up onto it, then wriggle underneath and undo the two bolts that hold the centre section and backbox together, finally unclip the 3 metal hooks which hook (oddly enough) into the rubber hangers. Reverse the procedure to fit the new one.

I've done 3 or 4 like this, usually outside main reception at my work as theres a nice high kerb. Takes about 10 minutes, just use a bit of WD40 on the bolts and rubber hangers if they don't come off easily. A cheap foam camping mat (£4 from Asda) is a nice touch to keep you from lying on any sharp gravel.

:)

paulg1979 31 August 2005 02:57 PM

I was thinking of doing it myself but a friend told me that the join where you unbolt it could be pretty stuck together because of the heat. Have you ever experienced this? If not i'll definately do it myself. I've called a few places to get it fitted but they will only do it if you buy the exhaust from them.

turboDean 31 August 2005 03:02 PM

It's easy if your only doing the centre pipe and back box, don't fancy doing the downpipe myself.
I fitted mine and i'm no mechanic. Only 4 bolts, the only hard bit is the front two bolts have springs and you really need 2 people, one to push and compress the spring and the other to put the nut on.
That is on a classic not sure about newer models.

paulg1979 31 August 2005 03:20 PM

Its just the backbox i'm doing so I might as well give it a go mate. Cheers

scoobyjimbo 31 August 2005 03:34 PM

[QUOTE=Iwan]Any exhaust place will fit it if you ask them, there's nothing special about a Subaru exhaust.

Not quite..... ATS or any large chain will only fit their own exhausts. You need to find a local small garage that will do it, most will charge around 15 notes.. or do it yourself. If you have a trolley jack and a few tools it is easy, messy job though sometimes..
J

AC-scoobie 31 August 2005 03:37 PM

Elite's on the A13 (not too far from you) will do it. If you don't want to do it yourself.

jowl 31 August 2005 03:40 PM

Dealer charged me £20 - was going to have a look myself but car was in for a service anyway.

paulg1979 31 August 2005 05:00 PM

I've heard of elites I might give them a call. I might just have a go myself first now a few of you seem to think its ok. Thanks

hoskib 31 August 2005 06:39 PM

might be worth buying a backbox gasket in case you muller the one on there:)

i think the new shape b/box fitment is the same as classic (bar a different location hanger) and honestly mate, it's a piece of pi55:) WD40 the nuts/bolts a day before and you'll have no problem

paulg1979 31 August 2005 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by hoskib
might be worth buying a backbox gasket in case you muller the one on there:)

i think the new shape b/box fitment is the same as classic (bar a different location hanger) and honestly mate, it's a piece of pi55:) WD40 the nuts/bolts a day before and you'll have no problem

Cheers mate I will definetly do it myself and i'll get a gasket cause I probably will end up mullering the other one. Cheers.

cong 31 August 2005 08:47 PM

join the kent scoobies here!

http://forums.sidc.co.uk/categories.cfm?catid=24