ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Advertising a product at the wrong price? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/452712-advertising-a-product-at-the-wrong-price.html)

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 01:14 PM

Advertising a product at the wrong price?

OK, Im sure im not gonna get away with this but i just want to know where I stand.

Basicly Homebase have advertised a 28" Widescreen TV with DVD recorder and stand for a measly 49p :D I have paid the 49p plus £4.95 postage, they have sent me a conformation email and taken the money from my account.

Thank you for your order

Your order number is ********. Please keep a note of this number until your order arrives. This email is only an acknowledgement of receipt of your order which has been passed to our team to be processed.

Product Name Qty Price
Bush 28in Integrated Digital TV, DVD Rec 1 £ 0.49
order and Stand.
Delivery usually within 28 days.
Delivery Charge. 1 £ 4.95

SubTotal £ 5.44
I very much doubt il recieve the above item but have they got a leg to stand on if they have accepted the order and the money?

djuk 28 August 2005 01:17 PM

I may be wrong but I think the fact they have taken money signifies that they accept your offer and the deal is a done thing

As I say, thats just my take on it

Wish 28 August 2005 01:31 PM

Finger crossed for you.

What was the ref number of the TV ?

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 01:46 PM

Heres the link...

http://www.homebase.co.uk/webapp/wcs...oductId=171745

Although now its coming up with an error when you select to buy it.

brihoppy 28 August 2005 01:53 PM

i think youve got a sale there...quite a few years ago i bought a Denon D99 seperate system that had been priced wrongly and i got it for about a third of the actual price...the guy who priced it up was new and got a right bollocking from the store manager there and then, but they let me have it at that price because i quoted all kinds of consumer related law at them..!!!

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by brihoppy
i think youve got a sale there...quite a few years ago i bought a Denon D99 seperate system that had been priced wrongly and i got it for about a third of the actual price...the guy who priced it up was new and got a right bollocking from the store manager there and then, but they let me have it at that price because i quoted all kinds of consumer related law at them..!!!

This is what i want to know about ;)

What is the law regarding this? I know there going to back pedal about the price, i have a copy of the advert and a a copy of the email they sent me.

brihoppy 28 August 2005 02:13 PM

well, in my case im pretty sure i made most of it up...but in your case, as a transaction has already been carried out, i think within 28 days youre going to find yourself with a new tv for the bargain price of 49p...!

GC8 28 August 2005 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by djuk
I may be wrong but I think the fact they have taken money signifies that they accept your offer and the deal is a done thing

As I say, thats just my take on it

Unfortunately not. Had the price been realistic, then the vendor would have been bound by the contract, but 49p must be considered as an obvious mistake and the vendor will not be bound to supply the goods at that price. The law specifically provides for this eventuality.

Of course, you may still receive the goods, the vendor may elect to complete the contract, or they may simply not realise.

Simon

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 02:23 PM

I sure hope so :D

Ive been doing a little reading on consumer law....

Ownership of goods usually passes when the goods have been paid for
Well, they have taken the money :cool:

brihoppy 28 August 2005 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Manchester

sorted then...!

GC8 28 August 2005 02:27 PM

You need to read a little more Im afraid.

elgordano 28 August 2005 02:30 PM

its a Bush 28".....its only worth 49p IMHO ;)

GC8 28 August 2005 02:38 PM

You can only enforce the contract, if you can establish that a reasonable person would have believed the offer be genuine.

So that's the end of that then...

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by elgordano
its a Bush 28".....its only worth 49p IMHO ;)

With DVD recorder and stand its £299 im afraid, im sure you would pay 49p for one all day long :p

wwp8 28 August 2005 04:17 PM

on the price it has a *

and on the key it says

* Please note that this item has not been price reduced.

what does it mean?

Brendan Hughes 28 August 2005 04:17 PM

Been discussed here before. Not sure about the technicalities of taking money, but there now seems to be an exception to the "wrong price" rule for internet shopping, whereby the shop can get out of the contract if the price was clearly erroneous.

Good luck.

pslewis 28 August 2005 04:24 PM

I'm not sure about this ....

The shop has offerred the Tv for 0.49p,

You have accepted that offer,

You have offerred payment,

Payment has been taken and the contract has to be binding ..........

I 'think' you are within your rights to expect a TV for 49p ......

To be honest, it's a BUSH TV and you can argue with conviction that you thought it WAS 49p - because, lets be honest - they are TOTAL and UTTER ****E!!!!

I would, actually, feel a bit ripped off myself!! :D No, REALLY!!!!

Pete

logiclee 28 August 2005 04:28 PM

It was on Heart FM earlier today.

They said the link is now dead and that Homebase are looking into it.

Not sure if they meant looking into the dead link or looking into it being priced at 49p.

Cheers
Lee

GC8 28 August 2005 04:34 PM

Had the price been realistic, then the vendor would have been bound by the contract, but 49p must be considered as an obvious mistake and the vendor will not be bound to supply the goods at that price. The law specifically provides for this eventuality. You can only enforce the contract, if you can establish that a reasonable person would have believed the offer be genuine.

Of course, you may still receive the goods, the vendor may elect to complete the contract, or they may simply not realise.

Simon

pslewis 28 August 2005 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
Had the price been realistic,
Simon

Its a BUSH TV - I am sure many could argue that it's OVERPRICED!!!

AND I AM NOT JOKING!!!!!!

Pete

GC8 28 August 2005 04:39 PM

Theyre ****e, it is true.....

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 05:08 PM

I know they are ****e lol, but with my conservatory being built at the moment im sure it would be fine in there ;)

P1Fanatic 28 August 2005 05:58 PM

I know they are ****e lol, but with my conservatory being built at the moment im sure it would be fine in there ;)

If any one of these lot were offered that at 49p they would take it up - I know I would.

Simon.

GC8 28 August 2005 05:59 PM

I certainly would; but I wouldnt expect Homebase or whoever to actually supply it at that price.

Simon

Stiff 28 August 2005 06:02 PM

I wonder how many people have ordered these at that price. Looks like someone is in for a huge bollockin'! Good luck with it mate and keep us informed as to whether you get it or not. ;)

Stiff 28 August 2005 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
I certainly would; but I wouldnt expect Homebase or whoever to actually supply it at that price.

Simon

I reckon it'll depend on how many were sold before they noticed. If it's not that many they may let them go at that price to save all the fuss and bad press etc but if there's a lot (I reckon people who ordeded them rang friends and family rather rapidly!) then they''ll probably stick to there guns and say no chance.

David_Dickson 28 August 2005 07:22 PM

I have read about this on pretty much every forum I read in the past few days.
Argos had the same deal for the same price.

There are plenty of get-out clauses in their small print, so I would doubt very much you will get the goods, despite the email you have.

Your only hope is your orders were processed automatically before anyone noticed.

Kevin Groat 28 August 2005 08:52 PM

I ordered this yesterday morning about 10:30, shortly after the error was discovered. I'll let you know how I get on:D

Mr.Manchester 28 August 2005 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Stiff
I reckon it'll depend on how many were sold before they noticed.

lol, my mate ordered 50 of them! :D

Phantom_Flan_Flinger 28 August 2005 10:23 PM

I've seen this too on various other forums.

A couple of quotes from the Argos & Homebase T&C's as posted on the other boards.

2.2 The 'confirmation' stage sets out the final details of your order. Following this, we will send to you an order acknowledgement e-mail detailing the products you have ordered. Please note that this e-mail is not an order confirmation or order acceptance from Homebase.

2.3 Acceptance of your order and the completion of the contract between you and us will take place on dispatch to you of the products ordered unless we have notified you that we do not accept your order or you have cancelled it (please refer to Returns and refunds).
and

"While we try and ensure that all prices on our website are accurate, errors may occur. If we discover an error in the price of goods you have ordered we will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it. If we are unable to contact you we will treat the order as cancelled. If you cancel and you have already paid for the goods, you will receive a full refund."