ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Dell Specific RAM (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/451976-dell-specific-ram.html)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 25 August 2005 07:05 AM

Dell Specific RAM

Is it?

Want to whack in some more into my Dell workstation but told by IT manager that it needs to be specific stuff.

I never believe in paying hyped up prices for "specific" RAM so what do I need?

class_A 25 August 2005 08:06 AM

Very much doubt it these days, some laptops used to use proprietary stuff in the dark and distant past. See what Crucial have to say, http://www.crucial.com/uk

darlodge 25 August 2005 08:12 AM

All newer Dell PC's use Kingston DDR ram. However you can use any memory manafacture you like, as long as the speed is the same.

There was a batch of workstaions about 3 years that used special Dell RAMBUS memory but thankfully that only lasted about 6 months :)
See here for a Kingston memory locator.

Darren

class_A 25 August 2005 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by darlodge
There was a batch of workstaions about 3 years that used special Dell RAMBUS memory but thankfully that only lasted about 6 months :)

Was it Dell specific, I thought they were generic RIMM's? Will have to store that into my brain somewhere in case I ever stumble across one!

kelvin 25 August 2005 08:36 AM

DDR2 as opposed to DDR perhaps? That's tended to throw a few people i've seen recently...

ChrisB 25 August 2005 09:20 AM

RIMMs were RIMMs AFAIK (not that they lasted long on the market).

Chuck some matched Kingston or Crucial in.

Puff The Magic Wagon! 25 August 2005 01:25 PM

512MB of DDR400 PC3200 CL3 Buffalo later...

:D :D :D

bioforger 25 August 2005 03:24 PM

Ure IT manager is gullible to the advice given by Dell support is he? :)

Puff The Magic Wagon! 25 August 2005 03:43 PM

"If you wreck the computer, its your responsibility - you pay for it"

&

"I don't want to invalidate the warranty"

were just 2 of the quotes from this morning...

ozzy 25 August 2005 03:49 PM

We use Crucial memory in our Dell GX260, GX270 and Dimension 4500 desktops (100+ of them) and I've not blown up one yet.

We have their Gold support and Dell have been happy with me replacing bits 'n pieces. They usually just ship me the parts so I can do any repairs when it's convienient for me rather than when the Engineer turns up.

Stefan

Silver Scooby Sport 25 August 2005 08:47 PM

I had a Dell Dimension 8100 what a nightmare I had with getting new memory... It was something called RAMBUS and Dell are crafty because they are all custom builds and no other parts will fit.
Dell could not supply the memory at all... a private dealer wanted £160 for 2 256mb chips.... I spoke to quite a few people and they all said sell it on.
In the end I simply sold it on and had a mate build me a new PC which is fully interchangable for any manufacturers parts.

I hope that helps you
Simon

Beefy 25 August 2005 10:03 PM

I have a dell inspiron 6000 laptop. It only had 256MB of RAM as standard so rather than pay Dell for an upgrade at silly prices I bought an additional 256MB from crucial for about £30.

Its been fine, no problems at all. Highly recommended.

jaytc2003 26 August 2005 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Puff The Magic Wagon!
"If you wreck the computer, its your responsibility - you pay for it"

&

"I don't want to invalidate the warranty"

were just 2 of the quotes from this morning...

Surprised you got those responses from an IT bod, it is usuallyalong the following lines

Caller: Hello, IT my computer needs more memory

IT Person: Okay, dont panic, just unplug your computer, wait 5 minutes and it will be fine.....................

Andy S. 03 September 2005 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by darlodge
See here for a Kingston memory locator.

Darren

We had one of these but still managed to get an upgrade via kingston, Rambus was not Dell specific. It was a very fast memory system which was just to expensive to produce.

We upgrade all our Dells with Kingston memory when they need it they come in matched pairs so work well together.