ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   moving house-hiring a van (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/451171-moving-house-hiring-a-van.html)

Edcase 22 August 2005 10:01 AM

moving house-hiring a van

Am i correct in thinking the biggest van you can drive on a normal car license is a Luton-size?

Flatcapdriver 22 August 2005 10:08 AM

I think you can go up to a 7.5 tonne jobby.

The Zohan 22 August 2005 10:11 AM

Have a chat to your local hire centre, they wil adise you.

FYI - Last time i moved (2 bed to a 3 bed) we hired a LWB sprinter, it took three trips to move or stuff. Fortunaltly it was only an 7 mile round trip so not bothered but would have been a pain if a long trip.

lightning101 22 August 2005 10:12 AM

7.5 tonne no probs :thumb: basically a half size lorry :)

V4JDMSTi 22 August 2005 11:06 AM

depends on when you passed your test. before a certain date it'll be the 7.5 tonne and after it it'd be the biggest van you can get your hands on. i passed my test 8 years ago and can't drive a 7.5 tonner with my licence.

Edcase 22 August 2005 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mneame
depends on when you passed your test. before a certain date it'll be the 7.5 tonne and after it it'd be the biggest van you can get your hands on. i passed my test 8 years ago and can't drive a 7.5 tonner with my licence.

cool, thanks!

Big Den 22 August 2005 11:25 AM

Did a house move a few years ago and hired a 7.5tonne with a sleeper cab (was a long journey). I think there is an age limit - 25 if I remember.

Scary though - from a car to a 7.5tonne truck - here are the keys sir, start it like this, thanks, bye bye - it's fookin huge! First few corners, I kept putting the back wheel over the kerb :o

Soon got into it though - remember & buy some Yorkies for the trip :D

Den

Hanslow 22 August 2005 12:19 PM

I think if you passed before '97 you can drive up to a 7.5 tonne. We just moved ourselves last week. I got a Luton and so did my dad. It's amazing how much crap you accumulate over the years ;)

I was a bit overawed by the size of the 7.5 tonner, so I bottled it and went for the Luton as it was my first time driving a van of that size :D

We only moved about 25 miles away, so we could afford to do more trips if required. As mentioned, ring your local place, they should be able to advise you on their particular rules and regs.

Edcase 22 August 2005 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Hanslow
I think if you passed before '97 you can drive up to a 7.5 tonne. We just moved ourselves last week. I got a Luton and so did my dad. It's amazing how much crap you accumulate over the years ;)

I was a bit overawed by the size of the 7.5 tonner, so I bottled it and went for the Luton as it was my first time driving a van of that size :D

We only moved about 25 miles away, so we could afford to do more trips if required. As mentioned, ring your local place, they should be able to advise you on their particular rules and regs.

I'm fairly sure I had a 7.5 tonner down from london originally...maybe i will go and take a look and see with my own eyes first !! :eek: :)

Chrisgr31 22 August 2005 01:38 PM

Take care moving yourself. Making more than one trip is all well and good but what about the people waiting to move in?

If they are local there removal company will be wanting access soon after lunch, and will not be happy if you are still loading! Seem to recall that if you are slow moving out the person moving in is allowed to throw all your stuff outside the house, and charge you for the priveledge!

dsmith 22 August 2005 01:49 PM

We had a removal firm but they bought a truck too small.

They loaded the house first, put the rest of the stuff in the garage and took 1st load to the new house. (7 miles) Then went back and collected the rest. Fortunately new owners werent moving in until 5 anyway.

Hanslow 22 August 2005 04:42 PM

You are legally allowed access to your house until 5pm even after exchange of keys and the new owners are legally bound to give you access to your stuff. At least that's what we were told by our solicitor as we panic about these things :D