ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   38mph in a 30 zone (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/450621-38mph-in-a-30-zone.html)

stevenuk300 still 19 August 2005 01:08 PM

38mph in a 30 zone

Unfortunately got a letter come through saying I had been caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone by a camera van. :cry:
Has anyone succesfully appealed against a speeding ticket?

FirebirdUK 19 August 2005 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by stevenuk300 still
Unfortunately got a letter come through saying I had been caught doing 38mph in a 30 zone by a camera van. :cry:

My wife did...

She was caught doing 41 in a 30 limit - on her way to hospital (without going into details, she had to have an operation). When she received the NIP, she wrote a letter explaining the circumstances - she even included a letter from the hospital confirming that she'd been on her way in for surgery.

They took no notice and provided her with a court date. When she went, they found in her favour and let her off... :)

stevenuk300 still 19 August 2005 01:45 PM

It's good to know your wife managed to win her case. Unfortunately I was on my way home from work, so cannot use this to help me.

PhilA 19 August 2005 01:45 PM

If you do not have a legitimate reason AND can prove it, don't even try as it just sounds like an excuse and they have heard it all before.

dazzaTypeR 19 August 2005 02:03 PM

Your only hope it looks like is to check the date of offence and the date you received your letter, if there's more than 14 days between them you'll be able to get off as they are supposed to issue notice within 14days...

Hope this helps.

AC-scoobie 19 August 2005 02:59 PM

Was their a picture of your face or just your reg?

If not it was your cousin from NZ driving while he was on his hols. Have a look through NZ tel. directory pull out some luck buggers name and Robert is your mothers brother.

bioforger 19 August 2005 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by AC-scoobie
Was their a picture of your face or just your reg?

If not it was your cousin from NZ driving while he was on his hols. Have a look through NZ tel. directory pull out some luck buggers name and Robert is your mothers brother.

What a load of cack :lol1:

davegtt 19 August 2005 03:55 PM

Why cant people accept a reasonable punishment when caught for something?

paulr 19 August 2005 03:55 PM

Exactly the same happened to me.(camera van,38 in a 30)
I just bent over and took it...............

OllyK 19 August 2005 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by davegtt
Why cant people accept a reasonable punishment when caught for something?

When speed monitoring, emphasis and prosecution is done in a reasonable manner (again).

hedgehog 19 August 2005 04:08 PM

Take a look at this thread for some advice:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=449824

It is certainly worthwhile to defend yourself as a very many people are doing it, and are winning. Lincs partnership flashed 61,000 motorists last year and got cash from only 31,000 of them. While not all these people defended themselves, for example in some cases the car was unregistered etc., some did and they won.

Currently www.pepipoo.com seems to be the site to hang out on and they are having considerable success with a range of general and specific defences.

Remember that police and partnerships monitor and post on these forums and so will try to discourage you from mounting a defence as it doesn't fit with their agenda so watch out for the "you can't win, take it like a man" posts. In saying that you do need to work to produce a reasonable defence so it will take some of your time to research it but get over to pepipoo and they will give you encouragement and assistance.

Pepipoo also has a list of registered users who are known to work for police or partnerships as a sticky in one of their forums so you can check this out to know who to avoid.

stevenuk300 still 20 August 2005 06:40 PM

Thanks for some of the advice. I could just accept the points and fine like many people do, or I could try and avoid having the 3 points on my licence. Personally I prefer not to have the points, so will do all I can to prevent this.
I have heard about the relative from another country example before. Does this really work?
I'm going to request the photo to see if it identifies the driver.

hedgehog 20 August 2005 07:21 PM

The relative in another country example will only work if your car was being driven at the time by a relative from another country. You do not want to risk perverting the course of justice, or a similar charge, by telling a lie.

They will demand details of the relative and they will also want to see evidence that they were insured to drive your car etc. Because of the potential for everyone to use this defence it is being followed up with some considerable keeness as it has scope to reduce the income stream.

With this in mind i would stick to the facts and fight them using the law as it currently stands. If a foreign relative was driving then by all means put their name on the NIP but if not then look at some of the other defences.

Bakerman 22 August 2005 11:09 AM

If it were upto me you should get 6 points for speeding in a 30 unless you have a very very good reason. Your speedo must have been 40 something which is totally unacceptable in my opinion. You deserve all you get.

hutton_d 22 August 2005 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Bakerman
If it were upto me you should get 6 points for speeding in a 30 unless you have a very very good reason. Your speedo must have been 40 something which is totally unacceptable in my opinion. You deserve all you get.

What complete bill hooks! The man said nothing about what sort of road it was or anything. You know as well as I do that there are more and more 30s springing up on dual carriageways.

Past a school at 9am during school time then I *might* agree with you. But the same road at 3am in the summer and what's the problem? Your attitude is exactly the sort of attitude that the Revenue Generation partnerships are out to foster. They don't want people to thin k for themselves - just send them money when they ask .... have a think on it ...

Dave

rik1471 22 August 2005 01:26 PM

Personally I prefer not to have the points, so will do all I can to prevent this.

Sticking to the speed limit could help. :)