ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   Lotus Carlton (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/450239-lotus-carlton.html)

JCScooby 17 August 2005 09:14 PM

Lotus Carlton

Anyone raced one? (on a private Airfield.....ahem)

mattvortex 17 August 2005 09:34 PM

yes,last year in a volvo440 se. i left him for dead. the volvo was not a 1.6 but a 1.8 so very powerful. the volvo also pulled a significant lead on a type 25 impreza on difficult road in the wet over the yorkshire dales.

slagmagnet69 17 August 2005 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by mattvortex
yes,last year in a volvo440 se. i left him for dead. the volvo was not a 1.6 but a 1.8 so very powerful. the volvo also pulled a significant lead on a type 25 impreza on difficult road in the wet over the yorkshire dales.

:cuckoo: :p

S600BYY 17 August 2005 09:37 PM

yep it left my satsuma castanet 6.0 fanny magnet for dead

S600BYY

GC8 17 August 2005 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by JCScooby

Have I inadvertantly logged in to CorseNet?

mgcvk 17 August 2005 10:00 PM

I'm the only satsuma castanet owner in the village.

S600BYY 17 August 2005 10:15 PM

just to prove i have the only satsuma in the village
it's the one infront of the green shed
http://www.barryboys.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8348

S600BYY

mgcvk 17 August 2005 11:05 PM

Wow! A Mexican imported type R satsuma. I'm impressed! :notworthy

Moley 17 August 2005 11:14 PM

Have never raced one, i'd look very silly!!!

A friend of mine has one and had a play with a Lambo Diablo, and from 50mph to 150mph there was nothing in it!

Very quick car

scoobfan 18 August 2005 07:09 AM

No

S600BYY 18 August 2005 07:31 AM

aahhh yeah but not only is it the mexican type r but it is also the only satsuma hand built but mustafa hoola hoop himself (signed centre console to prove it) http://photobucket.com/albums/v26/Fa...oby/McCrae.jpg

S600BYY

Petem95 18 August 2005 09:37 PM

Yeah I woz 'avin a race wiv one, totally canned it man - but den I av got a k&n filter on me scoob givin' an xtra 80bhp and lexus lights 'n' max power sticker givin anova 25bhp ;)

mgcvk 18 August 2005 09:40 PM

I've got a luvverly bunch of coconuts.

Ralph Wiggum 18 August 2005 09:45 PM

lol wtf is goin here lol

seriously though they are pretty rapid for there age, surpassed sadly now and no longer can it claim fastest production saloon anymore but still one of my all time favourite cars

http://www.lotus-carlton.co.uk/ this will tell you everything you need to know or want to know.

for what it worth i reckon you'd need around 350bhp to 'have one' that said the lotus will probably come past at some point, depends really, remember they are heavy, most owners now won't be thrashing theres though

Mike123 18 August 2005 09:47 PM

It is an 11 second car to 100mph. Still not a lot of cars that can do that.
Having said that, there was one on track at the RSOC Castle Combe day a few years back and it looked the big heavy car that it is. I suspect an Evo or Sti would be a lot more nimble. There more of a fast A-road,dual-carriageway/motorway car in my opinion

Ralph Wiggum 18 August 2005 09:51 PM

yeah there never be a track demon, remember its 1800kg,

the fact it shoots to 100mph in a proven 10.5 secs is nothing short of sensational, and it really will do 170mph the claims of speeds above that are well untrue, that said i know someone on the autobahnstormer club has had a gps 177mph out of a stock car.

i seen 3 lotus carltons on chat before and everytime it had the same look, the look it was ****ing shifting, that look you mainly see t5 police cars doin lol

The Chief 18 August 2005 10:49 PM

Yep on my 550 motorbike!!! donkeys years ago from the lights, beat it only up ti about 40-50mph then it came past me like i was stood still, it was fcuking rapid

PHILYB 19 August 2005 09:49 AM

my dad has one, i hav a P1 to be fair in a striaght line it would dust it, but on the twisties. P1 would pull through for sure!!

gpssti4 19 August 2005 11:27 AM

Years ago I had a *very* fast Opel Manta (cira 300bhp cossie powered) and raced one (private road) upto about 140 - 145mph and he just sat on my tail then pulled out and went past like I was doing 40mph!!! He gave me the thumbs up though - think he was suprised that a Manta could do that speed.

Graham

jasonius 19 August 2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by The Chief
Yep on my 550 motorbike!!! donkeys years ago from the lights, beat it only up ti about 40-50mph then it came past me like i was stood still, it was fcuking rapid

LOL A mate of mine went out in his mate's LC and a similar thing happend only no standing start (ie DC) and they left a very big bike far behind. The biker fagged them over at the next roundabout (shaking his head) for a chat..!

Still fast even by today's standard.

Ralph Wiggum 20 August 2005 03:28 PM

good to see they really are as fast as they are in my head lol.

i always remember my mate driving his mr2 around ok it was only the 177bhp NA version but it was his first real proper quick car, and on day one came up against one on a back from in datchet, lol he must of missed gear at some point cos there was a huge black cloud out of his exhaust but my god did it pull away lol,

JCScooby 20 August 2005 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Petem95
Yeah I woz 'avin a race wiv one, totally canned it man - but den I av got a k&n filter on me scoob givin' an xtra 80bhp and lexus lights 'n' max power sticker givin anova 25bhp ;)

The really sad thing is m8, u actualy believe what u are saying is true but are trying to hide that fact by making out its a joke. It was a simple question totaly out of interest to know just how fast they are. As usual on SN, there are turds like you just fcuking around cause aint got a clue.:razz:

J4CKO 20 August 2005 09:52 PM

Its funny nowadays that 375 bhp doesnt sound like much, I know its still a lot of horsepower but with the German race for the ultimate saloon car power output it sounds a bit mainstream, the Merc S65 being a case in point with over 600 bhp.

Still, got to love the old Carlton, still looks evil. A lad I worked with spent some time as the main LC trader in the country (or at least he said he did), a lad called Gary Bartley, anyone with an LC heard of him, last saw him driving a brand new Arnage (without a uniform on) so he must have done something right !

Paulo P 21 August 2005 12:17 AM

They are still by todays standards something very special. Before my Legacy (circa 280bhp) I owned a 24 valve Carlton and although it was no where near on acceleration understandably the 24 valve was ridiculous over 100-120mph on track! my Subaru accelerates pretty fast but on a top speed I wouldn't even bother against a 24 valve let alone it's bigger brother with 377 bhp through the rear wheels :eek:

I believe that they are very easy to tune to 500bhp! Now that'd be fast and capable of 200 mph because the lotus reached it's top speed in 5th and not 6th ;)

TonyBurns 21 August 2005 12:45 AM

There are a few advertised in the autotrader, one at 18k (9k is the cheapest) with 21.5k on the clock :eek:

Tony

astraboy 21 August 2005 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by paulpalmer
I owned a 24 valve Carlton and although it was no where near on acceleration understandably the 24 valve was ridiculous over 100-120mph on track!

Not any more its not :(
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1991-VAUXHALL-...QQcmdZViewItem
astraboy.

carl 21 August 2005 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by S600BYY
yep it left my satsuma castanet 6.0 fanny magnet for dead

Of course the correct model designation is Satsuma Castanet XR4 Turbo Fanny Magnet.

The two-wheeled equivalent is, of course, the Ichifani 500.

F'nar, f'nar.

Thanks for the memories :D

scoobiecookie 21 August 2005 02:19 AM

few years ago i went out looking for an LC and found 1 in canterbury took it out and i was well impressed id always been driving things like cosworth and suck like that but the LC just felt a completely different car altogether it felt stable at twice the speed limit and didnt throw u about like the cosworths unfortunatly i went away for 3 days to think about it and when i got back it was sold great cars even by todays standards

Wish 21 August 2005 12:17 PM

That would have been at Team Traction then, at a guess

S600BYY 21 August 2005 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by carl
Of course the correct model designation is Satsuma Castanet XR4 Turbo Fanny Magnet.

The two-wheeled equivalent is, of course, the Ichifani 500.

F'nar, f'nar.

Thanks for the memories :D

a customer of mine still has the poster on his office wall
LOL

S600BYY