ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Dealer and Third Party Supplier Queries (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/)
-   -   OIL + FILTER CHANGE HOW MUCH? (https://www.scoobynet.com/dealer-and-third-party-supplier-queries-3/448402-oil-filter-change-how-much.html)

kingofturds 10 August 2005 01:34 PM

OIL + FILTER CHANGE HOW MUCH?

Just wondering if anyone knows how much the subaru dealership charges for an oil and filter change? Are they going to take me for a ride. I am tempted to do it myself but have read some horror stories on here about engines going boom 50 miles down the road.I Guess if that old fart pissy lewis can do it anyone can though:D also anyone know any good websites to get the parts? cheers

Rioja 10 August 2005 01:43 PM

Oil change was very easy on my MY98 uk, 2000 miles since and no problems.

I got all my parts from Camskill, next day delivery to!
http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m10b0s0p0

kingofturds 10 August 2005 01:50 PM

cheers guv:)

Scooby Snacks 23 10 August 2005 01:59 PM

I would guess about £125-£150 for an oil and filter change.

With an engine that's already gone bang before, I'm taking no chances by doing it myself (plus I don't have time anyway).

WR1 Ant 10 August 2005 04:34 PM

Dealer oil and filter change should be, oil filter £4.44, oil about £30, sump washer £.70, 0.5 hr labour say £35, all + vat This lot adds up to about £70 + vat so all in all about £82 total any more and its a total rip off.

corradoboy 10 August 2005 05:01 PM

Dealers will want much more than that for the consumables :nono: Scoobyclinic have 2 rates, IIRC with Valvolene for £65 and Silkolene :cool: for £85. If you supply your own oil and filter though, they'll usually do it for 1hr labour, or £20+vat.

I buy Silkolene ProS 5W40 oil from Opie Oils (Simon posts on here as oilman). Filters are £5-6 from the dealers. It really isn't too hard to do yourself. Just like any other car, except ensure you prefill (prime) the filter (takes a few goes to get it properly full) and after refilling the car, disconnect the "crank position sensor" and turn the engine over for 20 seconds. Reconnect and after a 10 minute warm-up and brief gentle run, recheck levels and start the engine a few times to clear the CEL warning.

SPIKE LIKE MIKE 10 August 2005 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kingofturds
Just wondering if anyone knows how much the subaru dealership charges for an oil and filter change? Are they going to take me for a ride. I am tempted to do it myself but have read some horror stories on here about engines going boom 50 miles down the road.I Guess if that old fart pissy lewis can do it anyone can though:D also anyone know any good websites to get the parts? cheers

hi matey,
as ant says 1 hr lab plus £5 filter plus oil say £20,should get change out of £120 mate

boulevard 10 August 2005 05:47 PM

I had an interim service done at a main dealer last saturday, got a few pennies change from £125 (99 Classic)

Steve

N_Collins 10 August 2005 08:43 PM

King yhpm

pslewis 10 August 2005 09:46 PM

Comma Oil = £15

Filter = £4:44

Plug Washer = 79p

£20 all in then!! :D

And they do NOT go BANG if you do it yourself!! :rolleyes:

Pete :D

robs 10 August 2005 10:01 PM

Colleague had a Renault service today - £199 for oil change & inspection....but if you want to keep the warranty up.....it's gotta be done..
I DIY my scooby - Champion filter & halfords oil for the last 5 years...will be 150K this week..AND IT HASN'T BLOWN UP YET!

pslewis 10 August 2005 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by robs
Colleague had a Renault service today - £199 for oil change & inspection....but if you want to keep the warranty up.....it's gotta be done..
I DIY my scooby - Champion filter & halfords oil for the last 5 years...will be 150K this week..AND IT HASN'T BLOWN UP YET!

Thats cos you don't drive it like a dickhead!! :D

I'm sure there's more of us out there :D

Pete

stair 10 August 2005 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by WR1 Ant
Dealer oil and filter change should be, oil filter £4.44, oil about £30, sump washer £.70, 0.5 hr labour say £35, all + vat This lot adds up to about £70 + vat so all in all about £82 total any more and its a total rip off.

Get real! This is robbing dealers we are talking about, you will be lucky to get a lot of change from £200 for an interim service on a new age. the calculation above might apply to a good independant but even then you are looking at closer to £100, try looking at the Xtreme Scoobies web site for indicative prices

Stair

mickywrx 10 August 2005 11:59 PM

Do it yourself. Ever owned another car? Changed the oil on another car before? It's not hard to do. Do mine myself, and I'm not technically minded. Save yourself a few bob too. :)

pslewis 11 August 2005 12:00 AM

But remember to soak the filter for 2 weeks beforehand, in good old Anal fashion!! :D

Pete

Dick Cheese 11 August 2005 08:47 AM

Do it yourself. My dealer knocked off nearly £90 AND stamped the service book when I told them I had just changed the oil 1k miles ago.

It's easy, and makes you feel "at one" with the car :)

wrxseeker 11 August 2005 09:11 AM

Intermediate service on a Newage WRX at a main dealer £115 inc. oil and filter change.:)

pmarch 11 August 2005 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by wrxseeker
Intermediate service on a Newage WRX at a main dealer £115 inc. oil and filter change.:)

These sort of prices are crazy- but I realise a lot of this is the huge mark up on the oil. My route would be to buy oil from Opie, and just pay garage for filter, sundries and labour. I would think £50-60 inc. VAT would be reasonable. Much more and I would be seriously thinking of doing it myself - or not bothering until main service. My main problem in doing it myself would be getting the sump guard off without raising car up on ramps.

kingofturds 11 August 2005 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by pslewis
Comma Oil = £15

Filter = £4:44

Plug Washer = 79p

£20 all in then!! :D

And they do NOT go BANG if you do it yourself!! :rolleyes:

Pete :D

done and it still works:) i did dance around the car 12 times naked with a dead chicken on the end of my knob though in keeping with the sn instructions

kingofturds 11 August 2005 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by pmarch
These sort of prices are crazy- but I realise a lot of this is the huge mark up on the oil. My route would be to buy oil from Opie, and just pay garage for filter, sundries and labour. I would think £50-60 inc. VAT would be reasonable. Much more and I would be seriously thinking of doing it myself - or not bothering until main service. My main problem in doing it myself would be getting the sump guard off without raising car up on ramps.

my main problem was getting of my lazy ass and doing it myself but saving nearly a 100 squid on dealer prices was worth it:)

WR1 Ant 18 August 2005 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by stair
Get real! This is robbing dealers we are talking about, you will be lucky to get a lot of change from £200 for an interim service on a new age. the calculation above might apply to a good independant but even then you are looking at closer to £100, try looking at the Xtreme Scoobies web site for indicative prices

Stair

We are talking about just an oil and filter change here not a service the question was how much SHOULD an oil and filter change cost not how much for an interim service.