ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   AA or RAC (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/448217-aa-or-rac.html)

"MADDOG" 09 August 2005 07:40 PM

AA or RAC

Who are the best ? also need them for european cover as well.

regards "MADDOG" :D

n one 09 August 2005 07:52 PM

Both about the same I reckon, I just went for the ones with the best coloured vans ;)

Neil :)

ALi-B 09 August 2005 08:51 PM

Green Flag Via caravan club

Because being a 4wd I need a flatbed to tow it, not a pair of lifting eyes. Also I don't want a numpty trying to fix it by the roadside (unless its a flat battery or snapped alternator/PAS belt), and I want it taken to the garage of my choice.

wwp8 09 August 2005 08:57 PM

i recomend AA

patrolman 09 August 2005 09:33 PM

neither go to mondial its cheaper

Midlife...... 09 August 2005 11:38 PM

I get RAC cover through my insurance at a cheaper price, it's in the small print somewhere....... (Norwich Union)

Maybe you already have cover ??

Midlife.....

hodgy0_2 18 November 2008 08:39 PM

the AA has definatly got a lot worse since it was taken over by a bunch of venture capitalists a couple of years ago

it used to be a not for profit organisation for "members" -- now its just a numbers game

having said that every AA man i have had dealings with has been 1st class (but even they say its not the organisation it once was)

GC8 18 November 2008 08:47 PM

ADAC. Better and cheaper for European cover: they use the AA here.

cossie-nutter 18 November 2008 09:17 PM

Right my 2p's worth!

Rac sub contract work out to any local company same with Green flag so you can get any bob dick or Harry to come and help!

AA stick to there own people in proper AA van's/Trucks!

Ok it might take the AA abit more time to come out but i know what i rather!

Last Saturday night my mates GTR 410BHP Skyline alternator caught fire! He pulled over and done all the correct things then called the RAC then after 5 phone calls from the sub contractor and Rac and saying they can't fix it and getting the RIGHT lorry (NEVER asked for it to be fixed!) (Flat bed as performance lowered car) they finally did what was asked. Only asked for recovery to pick the car up and take back to workshop thats it! To much fcuking around IMHO

I NEVER have this with the AA and always been pretty good!

AndyC_772 18 November 2008 09:20 PM

The AA do a discount for SIDC members :thumb:

PhilMcAvitie 18 November 2008 09:21 PM

Brittannia Rescue all the way!

Take you to the destination of your choice, not just to a garage.

cossie-nutter 18 November 2008 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by AndyC_772 (Post 8282036)
The AA do a discount for SIDC members :thumb:

SIDC ? (Sorry Blonde moment!) :lol1:

GC8 18 November 2008 09:30 PM

ADAC costs less for Europe wide recovery and onward travel, than the AA charge for Relay in the UK...

Will 18 November 2008 09:30 PM

I have neither, i have my Dad:lol1: bless him :thumb:

Phil 18 November 2008 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 8282053)
SIDC ? (Sorry Blonde moment!) :lol1:

Subaru Impreza Drivers Club

s70rjw 18 November 2008 09:37 PM

Look into the small print before you decide. Some of the companies charge you to recover the vehicle after an accident, then you claim the fee back from your insurance company. Been with RAC for the wifes car for years. Only had to call them once recently,they arrived in less than 15 mins. Years ago they came to me assistance when the key snapped in the fuel cap of my Cossie. There in less than 5 mins, fixed the key then took the repaired key to nearest Ford dealer to have a new one cut. Can't recommend them enough in my experience.

RyanSTI 18 November 2008 09:46 PM

ive got aa roadside relay cover, and i have more than had my fare share out of it, roughly 40mins to come, i have broken down in some bad spots on the a14 and they've been spot on.

with the rac or green flag you never know whos gonna pick u up, i once had some scummy bloke turn up, u never know who to trust.

Biggs 18 November 2008 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 8282027)
Right my 2p's worth!

Rac sub contract work out to any local company same with Green flag so you can get any bob dick or Harry to come and help!

This isn't true im affraid :nono: The AA also use contractors :)

stevem2k 18 November 2008 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by "MADDOG" (Post 4878049)
Who are the best ? also need them for european cover as well.

regards "MADDOG" :D

What's wrong with ADAC then , they use the AA in the uk as I recall ?

cossie-nutter 18 November 2008 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Biggs (Post 8282286)
This isn't true im affraid :nono: The AA also use contractors :)

Really never had a contractor yet? :eek:

Biggs 18 November 2008 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 8282351)
Really never had a contractor yet? :eek:

Yes, the company i work for (ontime recovery) are AA contractors.

Kieran_Burns 18 November 2008 10:41 PM

I've had ONE contractor turn up, but I knew the firm AND was told by the AA that he would be doing so. Even told me the name of the driver!

The RAC once left my wife stuck on the M1 at 7:30 in the morning in mid-november with a broken down mini. (Woodall Services)

I added her to my AA membership immediately after that

ronjeramy 18 November 2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 4878286)
Green Flag Via caravan club

Don't tell me you own a caravan Ali :Suspiciou

Scoobychick 19 November 2008 12:32 PM

AA definitely, my other half is an AA patrol :thumb:

The AA have far more vehicles than the RAC but also more members.

GC8 19 November 2008 12:35 PM

Thats another reason to opt for ADAC Sal. European cover for less than the AA charge for UK Relay, and the AA is their partner here...

Scoobychick 19 November 2008 03:46 PM

We've got about five AA memberships between us :D I pay for my own which has been upgraded to the all singing, all dancing top of the range jobby for free because I've been with them so long, I also get a free membership with my bank account. Bob gets a free membership because he works for them, he also gets one free with his bank account. We also got a free membership with the new car :D

We're pretty much covered I think :lol1:

Chris L 19 November 2008 05:09 PM

I've found it very hard to beat Autoaid - very simple scheme and it costs £36 a year.

spireite 19 November 2008 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by ronjeramy (Post 8282434)
Don't tell me you own a caravan Ali :Suspiciou

Just what i was thinking, moderator status should be removed :)

delcbr 19 November 2008 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 8282027)
Right my 2p's worth!

Last Saturday night my mates GTR 410BHP Skyline alternator caught fire! He pulled over and done all the correct things then called the RAC then after 5 phone calls from the sub contractor and Rac and saying they can't fix it and getting the RIGHT lorry (NEVER asked for it to be fixed!) (Flat bed as performance lowered car) they finally did what was asked. Only asked for recovery to pick the car up and take back to workshop thats it! To much fcuking around IMHO

I NEVER have this with the AA and always been pretty good!

hi my car broke down at the borders iam with the AA i told them 2 tyres and wheels fooked ...... first they couldnt find me on the map/screen even though i was holding a map and reading road names etc to them.then
they sent out a local firm as they dont have enough staff at the weekends. they have to subcontract local firms for the work think the film deliverance...... man and his son turn up with flatbedhe asked where i was going i said glasgow he said theres no fing way as his truck had a tacho which only had 2 hours left on it before cutting out.he rings the aa up and saids if i knew he were going to Glasgow i would never of atteneded the call he said they told him i stayed local lol chancers!!!!!