ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   20yr old, no NCD, need some help (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/445755-20yr-old-no-ncd-need-some-help.html)

bigmiller 31 July 2005 11:43 AM

20yr old, no NCD, need some help

hi guys and gals,

just bought first scooby, 1997 turbo phase 1 model. love the car but am only driving it on third party on my old insurance because i cant get anyone to quote me on the scooby

any ideas?http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/images/icons/icon5.gif

have already tried elephant, a plan, keith michaels, aa, direct line, basically u name it i have tried it.

any suggestions would b gr8 help!!!!

bigmiller!

DevilMan 31 July 2005 11:47 AM

:lol::lol::lol: :lol1:

Did it not occur to you to get a quote before you bought it ?

scooby_matt 31 July 2005 12:35 PM

I don't fancy your chances much

tath 31 July 2005 01:18 PM

your old insurance will only cover you if there's already a policy on the car won't it?

fitzscoob 31 July 2005 01:52 PM

be prepared to have your pants pulled down by the insurance companies if any will insure you.

maclean2 31 July 2005 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
be prepared to have your pants pulled down by the insurance companies if any will insure you.

Have you tried directchoice.co.uk or adrian flux ? they both seem to quote for just about anything ? Suggest you ring them as online quotes can't cope with 20 year olds on high group cars.

C2forWRX 31 July 2005 04:19 PM

www.swinton.co.uk may but ure looking at 5-7K

bigmiller 01 August 2005 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DevilMan
:lol::lol::lol: :lol1:

Did it not occur to you to get a quote before you bought it ?

ah u see, i did get quotes on line, but as soon as i actually put a number plate through they all ran decided against it.

ah wells cheers guys am sure it will b on the road in some shape or form

bigmiller

jbwrx300 02 August 2005 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by tath
your old insurance will only cover you if there's already a policy on the car won't it?

Correct

Sounds like you aint insured at all unfortunately. Don't want to be overly critical, but Imprezas are rapidly turning into the car you dont want to crash into because the young owner is unlikely to be correctly insured?

I got caught + prosecuted for something similar when I was 20 - managed to argue my way out of it in court due to mitigating circumstances but if you hit someone you'd be fooked.

If you get done for driving without insurance you can forget driving a scooby until the offence is 5 years old, irrespective of when the points go off your licence. Just isnt worth it.

New_scooby_04 02 August 2005 03:23 PM

If you can find anywhere to cover you -and I think it's unlikely given that the few companies that will touch an under 25 on a Scooby usually ask for a couple of years no claims- you're going to be looking at a very painful premium.

Elephant and Admiral will usually quote for ANYONE, but its going to hurt HARD!!

Do not drive unless you are properly insured, as a young chap in a Scooby, you'll be a magnet for police patrols and it is now easy for them to check whether you are insured or not by referring to the insurers database. If caught, you'll get a hefty fine, points, possibly a ban, and can certainly kiss goodbye to driving anything other than a 1.0 Fiesta for the next five years!

Sorry! ALWAYS get a quote on the car you intend to buy before buying it!! Provisional quotes aren't usually worth the paper they're written on.

NS04

alloy 02 August 2005 05:23 PM

yeh you will definatly struggle I used a private broker to minsure me, 20years old 3NCB on sti7 they struggled but Zurich came through and i pay a stonking 2200 but its worth it in my opinion, although they did try and say no under 25's and were fishing in the 9grand depths :nono:

CHOD STi 04 August 2005 07:01 PM

im 22 with a V5 STi but i have 5 years NCB which is a big help. Iv also got experience of driving other high powered cars which does help. Try some of the smaller companies because they will ask you what cars you have previously owned, of course dont lie but if you have had experience then they may bring the premium down.

Mines £1400 Fully Comp..... but thats in Birmingham. Compared to friends who are over 25 this doesnt seem 2 bad