ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   de-cat? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/444272-de-cat.html)

JCScooby 25 July 2005 07:12 PM

de-cat?

how much power would u likely free up on a uk classic by removing the cat? in other words, is it worth the bother?

Phil555 25 July 2005 07:21 PM

Most would say between 20 -30 BHP (down-pipe)

Phil.

JCScooby 25 July 2005 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Phil555
Most would say between 20 -30 BHP (down-pipe)

Phil.

Is that the one straight off the turbo? what about the other one?

Phil555 25 July 2005 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by JCScooby
Is that the one straight off the turbo? what about the other one?

Yeah. You'll have to remove the centre cat too if you want to feel the full benifit of a good exhaust system.

Phil.

JCScooby 25 July 2005 07:43 PM

Yeah. You'll have to remove the centre cat too if you want to feel the full benifit of a good exhaust system.

Phil.

The thing is, a mechanic i spoke to was saying that taking the cat off at the turbo isnt healthy for the car and i should only do the middle cat. Would that actualy free up much on its own? sorry to go on a bit.

Phil555 25 July 2005 07:48 PM

I have removed the centre cat on mine. Not sure how much extra you get. Never heard of any probs with turbos cos the down-pipe cat has been removed. The idea is to get as much exhaust gas out as poss. This is next on my list.
I'm sure you will get an array of tips and solutions off the peeps on here.

Phil.

GC8 25 July 2005 07:52 PM

Removing the downpipe cats will cause boost spiking whci can be disasterous. If youre going to remove the front cat(s) then you really need to have the car either re-mapped or have an new ECU such as an A'Pexi PowerFC, depending on its age.

Simon

*sits down and waits for the know-it-all to post that his car is fully de-cat'ed and he thraps it everywhere to no ill-effect...*

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 07:55 PM

The thing is, a mechanic i spoke to was saying that taking the cat off at the turbo isnt healthy for the car and i should only do the middle cat. Would that actualy free up much on its own? sorry to go on a bit.

I dont like to but in take both cats out plus re-map and u will get about 50 bhp. If it is bhp your look for.:)

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 07:57 PM

I dont like to but in take both cats out plus re-map and u will get about 50 bhp. If it is bhp your looking for.:)

New_scooby_04 25 July 2005 08:14 PM

how much power would u likely free up on a uk classic by removing the cat? in other words, is it worth the bother?

Yes, if you get a re-map, otherwise you won't get the full benefits.

NS04

Edmondo 25 July 2005 08:18 PM

Just de-catted ours....seems to pull like a train now.........What sort of cost for a re-map?

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 08:25 PM

I have removed the centre cat on mine. Not sure how much extra you get. Never heard of any probs with turbos cos the down-pipe cat has been removed. The idea is to get as much exhaust gas out as poss. This is next on my list.
I'm sure you will get an array of tips and solutions off the peeps on here.

Phil.

I PHIL as u have said above,my car same takeing front cat out told only gain a few bhp but better torque.

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Edmondo
Just de-catted ours....seems to pull like a train now.........What sort of cost for a re-map?

Ive taken my scoob in to scooby clinic,they have told me about £1095 told one of the best,can keep re-mapping on this one.Which is good if u keep tuning.Worth having dyno run to see what car as got before and after.This price above is for new ecu re-mapp cheaper.

GC8 25 July 2005 08:58 PM

Much as I like Scooby Clinic youd be better off with an A'Pexi PowerFC (replacement ECU) supplied, fitted and mapped by Andy Forrest for £750

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
Much as I like Scooby Clinic youd be better off with an A'Pexi PowerFC (replacement ECU) supplied, fitted and mapped by Andy Forrest for £750

Can Andys ecu be mapped up to 4-500 bhp.Where abouts is and where is Andys place.

GC8 25 July 2005 09:17 PM

He posts here as Andy.F; try looking at his website here...

Simon

ALi-B 25 July 2005 09:20 PM

The thing is, a mechanic i spoke to was saying that taking the cat off at the turbo isnt healthy for the car and i should only do the middle cat.

It depends on what year your car is ( you need to be specific to get the right answer ;):p )

Earlier models generally had no issues, later post 98 car did.

Although I'd recommend safe guards/monitoring to ensure everything is ok in any case (by that I mean checking AFR, possibly a knocklink and boost guage. Or just getting it remapped ).

flat4_ire 25 July 2005 09:26 PM

hey, i have a 98 type r version 4, and i got full decat with down pipe and turbo up pipe, with equal length headers.. i put the downpipe and up pipe on last week, they say the two together should give 25-30bhp, i dont feel as if i have that much extra, spools up quicker alright and sounds better but i dunno if i got 30 horsies out of it ya know?
im gettin my apexi power fc fitted next month so il know then i guess ;)
cars runnin fine with it tho, go for it! ;)

PAUL CRAFTS 25 July 2005 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by GC8
He posts here as Andy.F; try looking at his website here...

Simon

Thanks for advise,But bit too far to go cheaper for ecu but nead fuel tanker pluged into scoob.