ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Meguiars Clay Bar.......again! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/444044-meguiars-clay-bar-again.html)

mgcvk 24 July 2005 10:30 PM

Meguiars Clay Bar.......again!

I used the clay bar and gold wax a few days ago with very impressive results, car looks brand new. Is the clay bar OK to use at every wash or should it only be used a couple of times a year when contaminants build up? I had a quick look on the Meguiars site but I havn't got a Chevvy pickup or a gun, so gave up!

corradoboy 24 July 2005 11:00 PM

Like any abrasive product, only when necessary.

The Incredible Hulk 25 July 2005 12:42 AM

Support Corradoboy view - use at most couple of times a year, regular washing and waxing should minimise contimination.

Kevin

HOWY 26 July 2005 01:07 AM

I thought they claim its none abrasive? Have just bought some will check again

Originally Posted by corradoboy
Like any abrasive product, only when necessary.

Jake 26 July 2005 10:15 AM

Ive got one of these but cant figure out how to use the thing? it doesnt seem to do anything.

Ian 26 July 2005 10:25 AM

after you have washed your car, if you feel the paint, it can feel slightly rough to the touch. go over it with the clay (spray on the luqid and gently move the clay over the paint) and after when you touch the paint again it will feel like a sheet of glass as the clay has taken all of the stuck on grime off.

STi wanna Subaru 26 July 2005 10:29 AM

twice a year is fine. all you should need to do if you use a decent wax.

Jake 26 July 2005 02:13 PM

Ta, I will give it a go but do I need to use the quick detailer stuff or will something else do the trick?

mgcvk 26 July 2005 03:16 PM

Just use a bucket of warm soapy water ( whatever you wash your car with). I just splashed this over the paintwork to keep lubricated as I used the clay. Also keeps clay warm and pliable. I used the quick detailer for worst bits where bugs had welded themselves to paintwork. The clay is the best product I've found so far for removing bugs, even wing mirrors became smooth and clean.

finnie 26 July 2005 03:24 PM

amazing thing. I was so impressed by it. Yes seems to do nothing but then you run your hand over the paintwork, difference is amazing, I didn't know my car was so dirty!

HOWY 26 July 2005 03:35 PM

How can you tell when the clay is worn out?

Originally Posted by finnie
amazing thing. I was so impressed by it. Yes seems to do nothing but then you run your hand over the paintwork, difference is amazing, I didn't know my car was so dirty!

Jamesemt 26 July 2005 03:58 PM

...when there's no clay left??

I'll get my coat :D

Jake 26 July 2005 04:04 PM

So do you just break a bit off, use it then chuck away or can you reuse it?

Jamesemt 26 July 2005 04:19 PM

errr I'm only going on what I've read, so I'm not really qualified to answer that.

I'm sure Maurice (original poster) will answer that...

s70rjw 26 July 2005 08:19 PM

I tore mine into tiny bits in warm soapy water. Left it for a while then drained out the water.Then put it back together and its like new. the water I'd used to " Clean " it in was filthy and full of dirt....I always spray some detailer on the bar before I store it in a plastic bag

Scratch 26 July 2005 08:26 PM

AFAIK the clay bar is not abrasive (speaking with regard to the Swissol one anyway), it is basically sticky and plucks the contaminants from the paint, which is why it goes all dirtly looking.

On My sti 5, the clay bar went a horrible rust colour, but the paint was much smoother afterward. Car is cool grey, so it wasn't paint being abraded away.

You use it by peeling abit off and working it to warm up, then work it accross he paint. If you want to know more as one of the many valleter types on here, they should be able to explain it a bit better. ("Roy." for example)

mgcvk 26 July 2005 08:38 PM

You need to use it all I would have thought as its not a large amount you get with Maguiars. It does seem to clean quite well left in soapy water. I've just used it on our Fiesta which gets a bit neglected in the cleaning department and was quite scarey the amount of goo that came off. Don't want to ruin it for cleaning the scoob - so sounds like a good idea breaking it into small bits and soaking in soapy water.