ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Grrr Noise at 62 mph HELP!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/443852-grrr-noise-at-62-mph-help.html)

Suits You 23 July 2005 09:56 PM

Grrr Noise at 62 mph HELP!!!!

Hi All
i have got a 54 plate wrx and at 62 mph it starts to whine slightly at 63mph its gone.I have had all the jokes about,not doing 62mph etc :).
Anyway i took it my dealer who said OH yes sir there is a harmonic rumble problem with some 54 plate wrx's and there is a conversion for the rear diff hanger.So they had the car back to carry out this conversion but it hasn't cured it completely it has just dulled it down.

Two things really has anyone else had this problem.

And what the hell should i do now.

It is the kind of noise that if you were test driving the car you wouldn't buy it and as it has only done 4800+ miles it aint very good.

Any advise would be great Thx

fgn 24 July 2005 10:08 AM

Yep, got this noise too on my 05 WRX, dealer waiting for the new cross memeber to come in then will get mine done. not good news if it does'nt cure it though. Although I had heard from others that it not a complete cure.

what next... get ppp exhaust then you can not hear it..

FGN

Originally Posted by Suits You
Hi All
i have got a 54 plate wrx and at 62 mph it starts to whine slightly at 63mph its gone.I have had all the jokes about,not doing 62mph etc :).
Anyway i took it my dealer who said OH yes sir there is a harmonic rumble problem with some 54 plate wrx's and there is a conversion for the rear diff hanger.So they had the car back to carry out this conversion but it hasn't cured it completely it has just dulled it down.

Two things really has anyone else had this problem.

And what the hell should i do now.

It is the kind of noise that if you were test driving the car you wouldn't buy it and as it has only done 4800+ miles it aint very good.

Any advise would be great Thx

Your the guy 24 July 2005 12:22 PM

Cheers guys you saved me the hassle of trying to find out what it was, by the way got PPP and you can still hear it.

All the best Dixie.

Poor Guy 24 July 2005 07:28 PM

We've got the same on our WRX 54plate

shaunywrx 25 July 2005 12:35 AM

And my 03 wrx ppp wagon.

bigknd 25 July 2005 08:26 AM

Same here on MY04 WRX PPP :) :)

fgn 04 August 2005 07:58 PM

had the rear cross member replace today as per the S.B and its better but not completely cured. I'd say its worth doing though.

05 wrx euro import...

Originally Posted by bigknd
Same here on MY04 WRX PPP :) :)

jasonius 04 August 2005 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by fgn
had the rear cross member replace today as per the S.B and its better but not completely cured. I'd say its worth doing though.

05 wrx euro import...

And who said you get warranty issues with EU imoprts..!

Good man..!;)

fgn 04 August 2005 08:08 PM

no warranty issues, dealer as good as gold, they don't care import or uk model. first service only £40 from main dealer too.....

euro imports get my vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by jasonius
And who said you get warranty issues with EU imoprts..!

Good man..!;)

OzzyWRX 05 August 2005 04:32 AM

It's your rear diff, it's a fairly common problem out here in Australia. The dealers are well aware of it, I had mine replaced on my O4 rex and the noise went away.

ScoobyTom 05 August 2005 10:57 AM

FWIW, i've got it on my MY04 JDM too :cry:

Mal K 05 August 2005 12:37 PM

Another vote for rear diff. Well documented over here too. Try doing a search.

jasonius 05 August 2005 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by fgn
no warranty issues, dealer as good as gold, they don't care import or uk model. first service only £40 from main dealer too.....

euro imports get my vote !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where abouts is this dealer..?

delly 03 December 2006 10:47 AM

ive just had a brand new diff put on mine due to this noise and it didant cure the problem the noise is still there

jasonius 03 December 2006 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by delly
ive just had a brand new diff put on mine due to this noise and it didant cure the problem the noise is still there

All to common unfortunately..:(

Do you know if they also put in these 'harmonic dampers'..?

As I've said before, my 05 wrx does it, but TBH it dosen't bother me as it's not that loud.

Get yourself an aftermarket BB then you'll not hear it at all..!:D

Stainy 03 December 2006 04:03 PM

Yep, what he said ^ Just ignore it :thumb: