ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   What's with these flies? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/443256-whats-with-these-flies.html)

JoanUK300 21 July 2005 02:21 PM

What's with these flies?

Just been down to the bottom of the garden to bring the washing in and my gazebo is COVERED in tiny flies, they are all over it!!!!

They look like tiny flying ants but there are thousands of them, I grabbed the washing and ran in....what are they and how do I get rid of them please?????

Jap2Scrap 21 July 2005 02:36 PM

Flesh eaters by the sound of it :cuckoo:

JoanUK300 21 July 2005 02:38 PM

Funny.....:rolleyes:

SJ_Skyline 21 July 2005 02:38 PM

Have ever seen "The Amityville Horror"? :eek:

Bubba po 21 July 2005 02:52 PM

They'll be tiny flying ants. How tiny are we talking? :)

jods 21 July 2005 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by JoanUK300
Just been down to the bottom of the garden to bring the washing in and my gazebo is COVERED in tiny flies, they are all over it!!!!

They look like tiny flying ants but there are thousands of them, I grabbed the washing and ran in....what are they and how do I get rid of them please?????

We've got them - horrible little buggers - WORSE when they grow up, especially if they discover your pets meal trays. All over the utility floor and downstairs loo. Have put down loads of ant killer, bug foam, bleach, boiling water. Seems to have put them off for now.

Hope you get it sorted.

Hanslow 21 July 2005 03:49 PM

Nuke the site from orbit....it's the only way to be sure ;)

Nick_Cat 21 July 2005 04:19 PM

We get plagued by flies that are resistant to off-the-shelf sprays and killers etc. The only way to deal with them is to use sticky strips and swatting. We were told that they were a result of the local egg factory trying to control flies with pesticide, unfortunately some survived, were left to breed, and produced resistant offspring.

Nick

JoanUK300 21 July 2005 04:48 PM

Just tried squirting with washing up liquid and water and they all took off....YUK....they`re about 2mm

But they are back again...........!!!!!
They seem to be nibbling at the wood.....but when you get too close they all take flight and so you have to run away......HELP.

Jods...where about in herts are you...could it be a local thing....we`re in East Herts....Sawbo

SJ_Skyline 21 July 2005 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Hanslow
Nuke the site from orbit....it's the only way to be sure ;)

Friggin' A man :thumb:

jods 21 July 2005 09:13 PM

Just tried squirting with washing up liquid and water and they all took off....YUK....they`re about 2mm

But they are back again...........!!!!!
They seem to be nibbling at the wood.....but when you get too close they all take flight and so you have to run away......HELP.

Jods...where about in herts are you...could it be a local thing....we`re in East Herts....Sawbo

We are in central Herts - Welwynbo so it's looking like the bugs must be all over the gaff :(

AND I've got a garden full of ants. Time to dig out the cans of DDT - that'll sort the fookers out.

Sith 21 July 2005 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Friggin' A man :thumb:

There's movement all over the place.......

dpb 21 July 2005 09:24 PM

sound like 'armless thunderflies

Sith 21 July 2005 09:30 PM

Where have their armies gone? Iraq?

jonc 21 July 2005 10:13 PM

Hose the mutha's down with a pressure hose, you may even get to clean the gazebo at the same time

JoanUK300 22 July 2005 10:38 AM

Been using the pressure washer for two days but they still come back??????

They`re not thunderflies, they sre a bit bigger than that and can clearly see they have wings.....

Just had a look this morning, bit overcast and MUCH cooler, there are still a few but they seem to have eaten the paint that was on the wood?????? It`s that Cuprinol Timbercare stuff, but they didn`t do it last year????

Nick_Cat 22 July 2005 11:00 AM

there are still a few but they seem to have eaten the paint that was on the wood?????? It`s that Cuprinol Timbercare stuff, but they didn`t do it last year????

They're going to mutate on the chemicals and by this time next week...

JoanUK300 22 July 2005 11:55 AM

:eek:

Jap2Scrap 22 July 2005 01:04 PM

Hairspray and a lighter :thumb:

Seriously though, they've probably moved on today. Go and check for us :D

thundertiger 22 July 2005 01:13 PM

sounds like "varnish-eating ant fliers" to me

or the latin name of "ronseali antus flyus"

get something from here...
http://www.pestcontrolshop.co.uk/aca..._flies_48.html

oh and if you use an electric zapper, you can make your own garibaldi biscuits too!!!

BB:)

Fuchsrohre 22 July 2005 01:29 PM

"We're on an express elevator to hell - going down!"

on a more serious note, I hope you get rid of your flying ants

JoanUK300 22 July 2005 03:22 PM

Just been down to have a look....still there!!!!!

Fuchsrohre....They`re not flying ants just 'look' like tiny flying ants....trying to have a closer look at them....they seem a bit like gnats??????