ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   so I hired a diesel whilst my scoob was being fixed.. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/442790-so-i-hired-a-diesel-whilst-my-scoob-was-being-fixed.html)

chrome 19 July 2005 06:36 PM

so I hired a diesel whilst my scoob was being fixed..

what a load of toss..
brand new 6000 mile astra 1.9cdti something..

great torque up to 2500rpm.. then NOTHING.
fuel economy was a JOKE too :eek: :freak3:

admittedly- was raggin the diesel a bit, but thats what hire cars are for :D :norty: I drove the twisty way to my parents and back (150 miles ish total) and
was gobsmacked when I barely managed 170 miles on half a tank of derv!
(the car was FULL when I picked it up, and I just refilled it.. after the run) :eek2:

amazed as I get the same mileage from the scoob- and it gets driven firmly on that route! ;)

not convinced- and vauxhall should be ashamed.

rr_ww 19 July 2005 06:37 PM

Dont forget that as Diesel is more expensive than Unleaded. Your journey actually cost you more!

chrome 19 July 2005 06:40 PM

oh the irony :D

David Lock 19 July 2005 06:46 PM

Well I drive a run around 205 td with 1.9 engine which is fabulous. As nippy as you would want, 90 mph if you hold on tight, and 400 miles to the tank. Oodles of room in the hatch area too. Bought it off a SNetter :) dl

dpb 19 July 2005 08:37 PM

Blaady absurd id say ...:Suspiciou

now if derv was the price it is on the continent id swap stright away.

...im assuming you run one of those pickey 200bhp scoobs....;).:p

Sith 19 July 2005 08:48 PM

Your mistake was hiring the Astra.

SWRTWannabe 19 July 2005 08:52 PM

I have a 2.0 litre turbo diesel Octavia. That goes quite nicely too, and barely sips the diesel :D I've had the trip computer reckon I'd get 700 miles off a tank, but generally get about 530.

When I bought my Scoob in July 99, I reckoned on fuel costs being about 10p a mile. That rose, thanks to the increase in fuel costs, but with this Octavia, I'm back to around the 10p a mile (or slightly less) mark again

cyrus_mole 19 July 2005 08:52 PM

My Passat gets 50 mpg even when thrashed. Dont kid yourself 16 - 20 mpg boy.

ChrisB 19 July 2005 09:24 PM

6000 miles on a modern diesel is hardly run-in. Get 20k and then 40 or 50k on it and see it pull properly :D

chrome 19 July 2005 11:47 PM

cyrus- the trip computer showed 170 miles.
I put HALF a damn tank in to refill it!!!
(I even checked the damn handbok to see how big the tank was- 52 litres! only 2 litres more than the scoob! )

Iain Young 19 July 2005 11:51 PM

Yeah, but astra diesels are naff. Don't think all of them are that bad...

mart360 20 July 2005 12:03 AM

I had a brand new 1.7td astra sport... as a hire car..

absolute crap!!!! the turbo was no bigger than a box of swan vestas!!

no pull & bugger all torque

now if it had been a cmax 2.0 td 6 speed tdci then you would have been surprised... these are licence loosing vehicles...

they will cruise at 80 mph ( autobhan) at 1.5k rpm and return about 60mpg

and bags of oomph if needed...

Mart

Bubba po 20 July 2005 12:26 AM

Scoobs have a 60 litre tank, don't they? :rolleyes:

ALi-B 20 July 2005 12:45 AM

Our old work 2.0Dti Zafira didn't loosen up properly until well after 10K of heavy thrashing and trailer pulling.

I have since driven same specced zafs with lower milages and ones that are not thrashed, and found that they were pants...FFS couldn't even wheelspin in 2nd gear in the dry :mad:

Interestingly, I had the pleasure of a uphill drag race in a 307SW HDi against a Cmax TdCi. The pug was trailing behind, but manged to crawl it back towards the top....and I didn't break the speed limit(ish) :D

cookstar 20 July 2005 07:43 AM

Fastest diesel i ever drove was the VW Transporter van, think it was 2.5 TDI, That used to suprise a lot of cars of the light, when fully loaded to !!

Mind you it had about 80k on the clock so i guess you could say it was loosened up, and it sounded wicked when you booted it. :)

Great great fun, I am yet to drive a good powerful diesel car but i am looking forward to it.

Cookie

OllyK 20 July 2005 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by chrome
what a load of toss..
brand new 6000 mile astra 1.9cdti something..

great torque up to 2500rpm.. then NOTHING.
fuel economy was a JOKE too :eek: :freak3:

admittedly- was raggin the diesel a bit, but thats what hire cars are for :D :norty: I drove the twisty way to my parents and back (150 miles ish total) and
was gobsmacked when I barely managed 170 miles on half a tank of derv!
(the car was FULL when I picked it up, and I just refilled it.. after the run) :eek2:

amazed as I get the same mileage from the scoob- and it gets driven firmly on that route! ;)

not convinced- and vauxhall should be ashamed.

I'd be over the moon if I got 170 miles from a half tank out of the scoob, you must drive like a right girl :D

dpb 20 July 2005 09:37 AM

10p a mile in a scooby, hmmm.........must have been £2.50 a gall i guess.
..and your present one does 50 mpg

scoobynutta555 20 July 2005 09:40 AM

55-60 mpg in the diesel golf I used to own, over 500 to a tank, and bags of torque. You hired the wrong car m8.

Brendan Hughes 20 July 2005 09:45 AM

Also hired an Astra diesel. Booooooooooring....

ChrisB 20 July 2005 11:12 AM

We had a Meriva 1.9CDTi in Italy for a week. Bit too much body roll for my liking but it went okay on the motorway.

Hand brake turned well too :D

Reffro 20 July 2005 12:40 PM

You drove it like a petrol, that's why it didn't perform.

Driven properly you'll go just as quickly and double the economy. Diesels do not need to be revved to make progress. Drive it like you stole it, and its no wonder you failed to get the best out of the the car.

I think the workman needs to think about his driving, not about the tool he's driving.

Bubba po 20 July 2005 12:45 PM

Not about the tool who's driving?

Sorry, couldn't resist the gag. :D

gsm1 20 July 2005 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Reffro
You drove it like a petrol, that's why it didn't perform.

Driven properly you'll go just as quickly and double the economy. Diesels do not need to be revved to make progress. Drive it like you stole it, and its no wonder you failed to get the best out of the the car.

I think the workman needs to think about his driving, not about the tool he's driving.

Exactly, you don't compare the revs with a petrol car. You get most torque at low revs on diesels. Don't know about the Astra but the Pug diesels I've driven in the past definitely used to shift.

StickyMicky 20 July 2005 02:22 PM

should have bought the super mudburner :p

chrome 20 July 2005 06:11 PM

reffro: my first time driving a dervmobile.. what can I say..

bubba: :hjtwofing :nono:

Admittedly; I did basically drive it like I stole it.. and it was neither fast nor economical. lol.. I dont like the 'laziness' of it..

OllyK: Easy tiger ;) I dont exactly dawdle..
Well I do often have an 8 year old kiddy in the back and a mean right hook sat next to me up front curbing my right foot :D
(you might want to check your lambda LOL- I've modded to the hilt and remapped.. but economy is still pretty reasonable for 345bhp/330lbft :D)
If yours is massively worse might want to get it checked..

mart360 20 July 2005 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Our old work 2.0Dti Zafira didn't loosen up properly until well after 10K of heavy thrashing and trailer pulling.

I have since driven same specced zafs with lower milages and ones that are not thrashed, and found that they were pants...FFS couldn't even wheelspin in 2nd gear in the dry :mad:

Interestingly, I had the pleasure of a uphill drag race in a 307SW HDi against a Cmax TdCi. The pug was trailing behind, but manged to crawl it back towards the top....and I didn't break the speed limit(ish) :D

if it was a 1.6tdci prolly right..

2.0. noperoony ... these thing s are seriously fast.... akin to driving a saab 900 turbo.. that same push in the small of the back when the tubo kicks in... all the way to the rev limiter/ change arrow!!

M