ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Went out on a cruiser (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/441925-went-out-on-a-cruiser.html)

pauld37 16 July 2005 07:37 AM

Went out on a cruiser

Went on a jolly through work with an engineering supplies company.

Was taken from Poole harbour to Saltys restaurant on the Isle of Wight in a Fairline Phantom 43 :cool:

Cruised along Poole and Bournemouth coastline, a quick whizz around the Needles and then in to Yarmouth Harbour

Though I have always lived in Poole, so close to the sea, have never really been interested in boats or watersports, but this cruiser certainly changed that.

I want one :( :D

TonyFlow 16 July 2005 10:56 AM

Soon as the missus has qualified from her training contract we will be getting one (yeah OK, maybe only about a 27ft "ancient" one but that'll ding dang do!) Lovely part of the world though mate - get down that way at least once a year and never want to come back!

Leslie 16 July 2005 12:46 PM

Can't tell you how much fun I get out of my little Shetland. Great for sea fishing too.

Its not a cheap hobby though.

Les

daiscooby 16 July 2005 12:48 PM

Been on the Belfast. Nice guns, ****ty paint job, didn't go very fast

scoobyjimbo 16 July 2005 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie
Can't tell you how much fun I get out of my little Shetland. Great for sea fishing too.

Its not a cheap hobby though.

Les

I can 2nd that one.. it isnt cheap. I have recently bought a 26ft cruiser and the training alone for insurance purposes cost me 900 quid. insurance was around 600 pa, then you have the fuel cost.. i thought my scoob was thirsty but nothing compared to a boat.. cant beat it though..:-)
J

pauld37 16 July 2005 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Lovely part of the world though mate - get down that way at least once a year and never want to come back!

Certainly in weather like this Tony :)

pauld37 16 July 2005 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyjimbo
I can 2nd that one.. it isnt cheap. I have recently bought a 26ft cruiser and the training alone for insurance purposes cost me 900 quid. insurance was around 600 pa, then you have the fuel cost.. i thought my scoob was thirsty but nothing compared to a boat.. cant beat it though..:-)
J

Thats what I was thinking while on the boat, its all very well buying one but the cost of running one must be astranomical

Leslie 17 July 2005 08:43 AM

Yes if you want to buy something for it the price is double what you expect and the mooring charges on the South coast are sky high.

Les

pauld37 17 July 2005 09:01 AM

I believe its £100 a foot, Les :(

scoobyjimbo 17 July 2005 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by pauld37

costs me 1750 pa but that is inthe south west.
J

TonyFlow 17 July 2005 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by pauld37

Think its the same here in Shotley!

I still cannot believe that you can buy a boat tomorrow and go out on the open seas with out any form of training - people who do this must be CRAZY - I havent got the foggiest what needs to be done, and would definitely book the relevan courses for me and the missus!

pauld37 17 July 2005 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by TonyFlow
Think its the same here in Shotley!

I still cannot believe that you can buy a boat tomorrow and go out on the open seas with out any form of training - people who do this must be CRAZY - I havent got the foggiest what needs to be done, and would definitely book the relevan courses for me and the missus!

Yeah, speaking to our skipper for the day, he said you could buy any sort of boat and drive it straight away, no licence, nothing

Leslie 18 July 2005 08:08 AM

Yes thats about the cost alright and I have to pay similar to Scoobylimbo's fees as well as the harbour fees on top!

Les