ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Backfiring scoob (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/441248-backfiring-scoob.html)

KeithMac 13 July 2005 01:22 PM

Backfiring scoob

My scooby seems to backfire quite a lot. Makes me grin, but is it meant to do it?

It's got a decat on it. Don't know if that makes a difference or not.

Could it be some sort of overfuelling type thing and the reason for my 18mpg?

C 8HEP 13 July 2005 02:03 PM

decat will make it pop a little. maybe maf sensor is weak or 02 sensor. dumpvalves also casue popping and banging. i love it to be honest

sti 360 13 July 2005 02:17 PM

ive got a de cat and mine pops every now and then ,did it more when first put it on,i love it to

matt

C 8HEP 13 July 2005 02:27 PM

the faster u drive the hotter it gets the more it happens.its prob not healthy but i know the dv helps and it has a faulty 02senor.also an induction kit

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 05:17 PM

ive just been fully de-cated and ive noticed a few pops between gear changes sometimes a little puff of smoke too :Whatever_ . only when yer give it a spank tho.

stew

C 8HEP 13 July 2005 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by axgt_bwaii
ive just been fully de-cated and ive noticed a few pops between gear changes sometimes a little puff of smoke too :Whatever_ . only when yer give it a spank tho.

stew

puff of smoke,thats a different story............:(

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 05:43 PM

go on then tell me whats going on?

id assume that as i have no cats the **** from the exhaust isnt geting filterd and is allowed to come streight out. its not possible to see whilst im driving but a few of the local lads see it the other day whilst oi gave it a boot out of a junction. some said it was hard to notice and other said it could of been dust from the road side. so what would you say?

Mr_Wid 13 July 2005 05:55 PM

Mine used to backfire loads. Full decat and vta dump valve. Inbetween gear changes and when at high revs backing of full throttle. Loved it

But now its been remapped and not running quite so rich it doesnt do it as much

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 06:00 PM

thats probly my problem. im using a hks mushroom filter (not oiled) so it shouldnt run too rich? to a degree isnt running rich safer? also its a 93import optimax and millers all the time. scooby ecu going in beginning of next month :)

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 06:01 PM

im also using the stock re-circ dumpvalve :thumb:

C 8HEP 13 July 2005 06:02 PM

id assume that as i have no cats the **** from the exhaust isnt geting filterd and is allowed to come streight out. its not possible to see whilst im driving but a few of the local lads see it the other day whilst oi gave it a boot out of a junction. some said it was hard to notice and other said it could of been dust from the road side. so what would you say?

black smoke - over fueling
blue smoke- burning oil
white smoke- it wont be white smoke.different times vary but a nicely running car wont have any smoke whatsoever

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 06:03 PM

tar. when im re maped it will be sorted :)

acko 13 July 2005 07:53 PM

the smoke was BLACK stew, so it sounds like over fuleing m8 :norty:

axgt_bwaii 13 July 2005 08:29 PM

ok